ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bindi in Jaap Sahib?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
bindi in Jaap Sahib?
May 06, 2010 09:22PM
Where are some of the places where a bindi in Jaap Sahib should be added?

For example, should it be Ajaad or Azaad
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: bindi in Jaap Sahib?
May 06, 2010 10:29PM
haha lol
see for me its so easy no bindiawinking smiley

jokes no offence
May 07, 2010 02:47AM
Veer 'gsingh' jio, please contribute constructively. You may not wish to do uchaarans with bindia or may follow a different school of thought but please also take other gursikhs into consideration who do wish to. Sukhdeep Singh ji is asking a serious and intelectual question. Lets all take time to understand each other and allow a constructive loving atmosphere. smiling smiley

Sukhdeep Singh jio! Great question. Jaap sahib is full of amazing words with so many exciting pronunciation. I'm looking foward to Bhai Kulbir Singh ji's input.
May 07, 2010 04:38AM
wahegurujikakhalsawahegurujikifateh!!!

Bearing in mind that this bani was written, mostly in local 'persian' dialect where an emphasis on z, gh, ze and sh is quite prominent it is inevitable that the bindis do exist, even if they are not written, the meanings of the words imply that they are attached.

The word Bindi also has dots ;-)

Where are some of the places where a bindi in Jaap Sahib should be added?

For example, should it be Ajaad or Azaad

It should be Azaad. Azaad means free from all bonds. Talwara jee has done the meaning of this word as one who is free from birth since Zaad as per Talwara jee, in Farsi means to be born.

There are quite a few Farsi words in Siri Jaap Sahib and they should be pronounced with Vishesh Dhuni. Most Gutka Sahibaan I have seen already contain the bindis where required.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Veer Ji should it always be Azad. I noticed Talwara Ji gives the meaning

of ਅਜਾਦਿ as aj ( bhrama) + aad , ਅਜ + ਆਦਿ . Thus wouldnt the recitation be ajad when there is a shiari in Ajad? He also gives the meaning of ਅਜਾਦ withou the siahri as a farsi word and states zad means to occur/arise-happen (birth). Thus Azad meaning without birth.

G Singh Veer Ji very funny. Im just curious how would you recite the following pangti of Sri JapJi Sahib

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਕਵਣ ਥਿਤਿ ਕਵਣੁ ਵਾਰੁ ॥

According you your logic it should be pronounced as the following:
Kavan Su Veyla?,Vakth Kavan? Kavan Theth ? Kavan Vaar?

But this does not seem right. ਵਖਤੁ is an arabic word meaning time and should be prounced as Wakht, while ਵੇਲ is a sanskrit word meaning time. So it does not seem write to give both words a hindi pronunciation? Also what does kavan mean . I believe Kavan means Kaun ( who) and the words au have a W sound pronunciation. In many times we see Kaun written.

I think in the past Singhs in the past could differentiate between the ਵ letter knowing to give the v or w sound. Perhaps Sassa , Jijja, etc was similar to ਵ letter and had two different pronunciations thus no bindi was needed? Only Guru Sahib knows.
May 16, 2010 10:38AM
i think this has been discussed before...

i have seen different gutkas have bindis in different places. it's very confusing. i think Master Jaswant Singh jee's gutkas should be the most accurate.

they can be had from bhai sahib randhir singh trust in amritsar sahib.

most of the persian words with bindis are pronounced in the back of the throat (only way i can think to describe it). but i can't understand how ਲ਼ is pronounced?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login