ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

few words for Sikh “converts”

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
A humble request/message to all “converted” Sikhs from non-Sikh and/or non-Punjabi backgrounds.

Let me start by saying that I am also from a non-Sikh background, and so (if possible) please try to read this message with an open and unbiased mindset.

We are really blessed to be Sikhs! We are fortunate that people like us from non-Sikh and/or non-Punjabi cultures/races are adopting Sikhi and Sikh culture (totally distinct from Punjabi or Indian subcontinent culture). But while this is a matter of great joy, care needs to be taken that they are encouraged to adopt the values and virtues of Gurmat culture, not permitted to bring whatever they choose from their former cultures into Sikhi and claim it to be valid by distorting the meanings of Gurbani to suit themselves.

Lets never do anything that “dilutes” or violates the Gurmat Maryada just so people who adopt Sikhi can feel comfortable. Sorry, it has to be the other way around. Once you belong to the Guru, you are the one who should surrender your mind and serve Him.

It is true that Guru Sahib struck a blow to the barbaric cultural and social norms of those times and gave all oppressed sections of society (women, so-called lower castes, so-called untouchables) the kind of freedom and equality that was unheard of. Lets avoid using this narrative to presume and conclude that Guru Sahib would make any kind of special exceptions for any particular set of individuals. We know that He did not make any special exceptions for Brahmins when they chose to receive Amrit from a separate baataa and not from the one which other non-Brahmins had sipped from. Sorry, no special privileges here for anyone. If pleasing others by making compromises was His style of doing things, He would never have to fight battles with both Hill Rajas (Hindus) and Mughals (Muslims). He would never have to sacrifice His entire family and His beloved Sikhs.

A Brahmin embracing Sikhi will have to wear the same gatra as others, he cannot wear one that is like a janeu. A Muslim embracing Sikhi is not allowed to cover his/her jooda with a skullcap (caps are forbidden in Sikhi to begin with). A Christian embracing Sikhi and then having an Anand Karaj will not be allowed to “kiss the bride” in the hazuri of Dhann Dhann Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj. Can you even imagine any of this happening?

In recent times I have come across a lot of negativity posted on social media about and against Punjabi-born Sikhs. Lets admit, no one is perfect, and a lot of what is said is partially true, which is why people raised those issues. But the time has come to look within. Next time you point fingers at Punjabi-born GurSikhs, take a second to first inspect yourself, and ask yourself if you, in the light of Gurbani, are indeed living upto the teachings of Guru Sahib.

Not all Punjabi-born GurSikhs are perfect and shining examples of how a Khalsa should be, but then again, neither are all Sikh “converts”. Whatever your former culture was, I am sure it has its own pros and cons. We should be like swans, we should use our Guru-given Bibeki intellect and be wise enough so we can pick and choose what aspects of those cultures are in accordance with Gurmat, and make only those as part of our GurSikh lives.

Although its a good idea to understand Gurbani via English translations online, let me say that those are not the ultimate sources. They are really helpful as a beginner, but perhaps not the most perfect ones. So if there are things you don’t seem to find, don’t propose the claim that “Gurbani is silent on this matter”. You need to use Gurbani’s wisdom to find out, and honestly that requires a lot more effort than merely running a search on online translations.

I very strongly felt I needed to voice this concern as off late I’ve been seeing pretty unpleasant things posted by “convert” Sikh individuals from non-Sikh and/or non-Punjabi backgrounds. In the past I have myself spoken against the unSikh mindset of many Punjabi Sikhs, but all fingers are never the same, and one should, at some point, perform introspection before pointing fingers.

My last statement is the one I really hate to say. If you want Sikhi to bend and work the way you please, I apologize with folded hands, but if thats the case, my dear, Sikhi isn’t meant for you. This is a path where you sign your death warrant and place it at Guru Sahib’s feet. Its not an exchange offer where you work out bargains in order to get what you want (obviously something you didn’t get in your former belief system). This is a path of complete and unconditional surrender, not a business deal where you get to decide how much you want to profit.

If anything stated by me (based on how I perceive Guru’s message) offends anyone, I deeply apologize.

Mehtab Singh
March 20, 2017
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Please don't hate me for saying this.

Just like people are quick to blame Punjabis for "Punjabifying" Sikhi, or Hindus/Indians for "Hinduizing" Sikhi, just like people blame "pendus" for dragging their "tribal mindset" and "backward culture" into Sikhi and "pendufying" it, I sort of feel (and I apologize if this sounds rude), that western born Sikhs, whether ethnically Punjabi or otherwise (i.e. Western converts), they are equally at fault (sorry to say) for trying to "westernize" Sikhi to suit themselves.

Guru Sahib traveled not just all over the Indian subcontinent but much of the planet. Lets not have Punjabis, or "pendus", or western-minded people try to "improvise" the Sikhi of Guru Sahib which is already perfect.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login