ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what happened?

Posted by 1kaur 
what happened?
April 28, 2010 11:15AM
waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

in the 1970s, some newly converted american sikhs went to india to learn more about their chosen faith. they stayed at Khalsa Farm, surrounded by beloved jatha gurmukhs. they learned punjabi language, gatka, dastaar tying, and gursikhi lifestyle. they ate side by side with gurmukh piyare out of sarbloh.

there are many photos here:
[www.flickr.com]

there are stories and letters from shaheed bhai fauja singh to the goray sikhs here:
[www.mrsikhnet.com]

today on forums i see young 3HO sikhs expressing their hatred for AKJ... saying we exclude them, we're too radical, too militant. so what happened? did we exclude them? i don't think so, there are a handful of jatha bibia who have come from 3HO... they used to partake langar and practice gatka with our beloved shaheeds, so when did militancy become so abhorrent? do they not know that when Yogi ji wanted to teach them about sikhi he called on bhai jeevan singh to help?

when i offer a fateh! to them, they ignore me, look away, or stare in disbelief. how can a gori singhni wear bright blue? how can she tie a dumalla? how can she not do yoga?

what happened to the friendship, the bond, between us? why have we become so sectarian?

(note this could apply to any jatha in sikhi... in times of trouble we band together, but now... why so much hatred?)
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: what happened?
April 28, 2010 12:44PM
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Bibi jio you raised excellent question. Daas do not have much to say what happened? but definitely your point needs well attention. On the other hand daas thinks it’s not from AKJ only, 3HO feels isolation from other Jathas as well. Because of the senior Singhs of 3HO had close ties as you mentioned with Jatha it makes more likely to be complaining due this fact alone but daas must say new youngsters should focus much on sharing Sikh values than organizational differences and this is exactly what their ancestors did. As far as the Jatha side goes I do not think of anything which tries to exclude them. Daas personally thinks any Rehatvaan Singh should be given desired respect no matter what race, region, gender, education level etc he/she holds. The fact of the matter is Akhand Kirtani Jatha in U.S. as I experienced is trying to hold such values that no matter how you initiated into Sikhi, as long as you are Rehatvaan Singh (includes Bibiyian) you are part of Sangat to do various seva such as Kirtan, Gurbani Paath and others. Although this is not happening at larger scale but hope is there.

Daas would even further say that the AKJ-USA’s Panj Singhs includes the Gurmukh Bibi jee who once initiated to Sikh fold through 3HO and the other hard fact is that she was the one along with others who originally organized the Akhand Kirtani Jatha in United States. I think these youngsters need some education on this, it seems like they were misguided by someone. Today, in entire Sikh panth the verge of a mindset is reached to its peak which needed to be knocked down sooner or later otherwise more Khuarri is there. Rest, it is panth of living Guru Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee and He knows what will happen all we mortals can do at this point is try to reach out to our Sikh brother sisters with humbly and gentle manner with virtue of more respect and acceptance because Sikhi teaches to include and unite the whole mankind.

With Regards,
Daas
April 28, 2010 12:48PM
What happend was alot of people where very inspired by the strict and spiritual lifestyle of the Jatha so many of then where joining the Jatha. Naturally many people from Yogi Bhajan Singh Jis jatha joined the AKJ. PEople then from Yogi BHajans Jatha started to get annoyed and tried to prevent people from socialzing with the AKJ. SO they threw in the Raag Mala issue, and said " these guys dont even accept Gurbani" This happens all the time. Many annoyed Taksali SInghs use the same tactic to prevent youth from socializing with the AKJ. They really dont care about the Raag Mala issue they just like to use this as a way to dividie sangat.

The truth of the matter is that we should see any Gursikh as AKJ, DDT, Nihang, Nanaksar, etc. We should regard each others as brothers and sisters from the same father. It really annoys me when people get stuck to one group and treat others as second class Sikhs. I dont see how such people can ever get liberation. There are dozens of AKJ, DDT, Nihang, and Nanaksar groups for some reason we like to create more and more divisions.

Even in your post Bhenji you use the words our and we. This is too bad. We should not be so limited in our SIkhi. We should see ourselves as part of the panth and not part of any group.
April 28, 2010 01:10PM
1kaur, I think you are right. Many a times I have experianced this kind of treatment when at Darbar sahib by 3ho gursikhs. When I have exchanged gur-fateh with some of them around Darbar sahib, no reply of fateh was shared. Many sikhs in amritsar also feel the same way.

It seems they have driffted from some core aspects of sikhi and have susbtituted them with other ways.

Generally, respect is important to maintain. Afterall, they too are sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh ji. It would be interesting to know how and why 3ho driffted from the jatha and why there is so much dislike of jatha on their part (if there is).

H.S
April 28, 2010 02:13PM
Very thought-invoking post Bhain jeeo. We need to find answer to why 3HO related Gursikhs have drifted away from AKJ related Gursikhs, when many years ago they were so close. Veer Sukhdeep Singh has attempted to give some explanation.

This Daas believes that we don't have any control on how they react and how they do things but what we have control over is on our behaviour and reaction. What we can do is be humble and loving to them (and all others) and surely one day such Gurmat gestures will bring results. If they don't say Fateh, we should persist in being humble and loving and this way be the first ones to say Fateh. This is how our Beloved One is. Our Beloved One, Siri Vaheguru jee, has such magnanimous heart that even if we hate Him and slander Him, He still loves us. He knows not how to Hate and speak sour. We are the worshippers of such Deity, who always speaks sweet (Mithbolra jee, Har Sajjan Suami Mora). Taking cue from our Beloved One, we should love those who hate us and this way change their hatred to love.

Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
April 28, 2010 09:58PM
To be completely honest I have never had any negative interactions with the Sikhs from Yogi Bhajan SInghs Jatha whenever I have seen them they always give me a friendly smile. Perhaps they see me smile when I look at them and they return the smile. I cant imagine any Gursikh frowning at another Gursikh when one Gursikh smiles at them. However, I do notice that there is a major problem amongst different groups respecting one another.

One day I went to a Rainsubaee and before the Rainsubaee started I was listening to the Raagi SInghs doing kirtan in the Darbar Sahib. There were a few other Singhs around including a few young Taksali Singhs. I notcied as soon as the AKJ came into the Darbar Sahib and started setting up; the Taksali SInghs immediately ran outside of the Gurdwara like they have seen a Ghost. I was completely shocked what type of Singh runs away from Guru Jis kirtan? THis has happened more then once and I have always remained clueless as to how such things can happen. SUrely this is a sign of Kaljug where SInghs have no pyaar for each other.

I remember last year I went to a Rainsubaee and there was a Baba Ji who lives at a Taksali Gurdwara, Baba Ji needed a ride to the program. Upon arriving Baba Ji wanted to wash his feet with a water hose before going into the Darbar Sahib , Das was fortunate to have this seva and that whole day I received great Anand at the Rainsubaee.for performing this small service for a devoted Gurmukh. I noticed that sometimes an older Taksali Singh often comes to the Rainsubaees programs and serves the sangat and he always seems very happy.

GUru Sahib says

ਚਾਪੀ ਕਾਰੋ ਮਲਹਿ ਸਿਖ ਚਰਨਾ ॥ ਤਿਸ ਸਿਖ ਕੋ ਪੈਂ ਗੁਰ ਵਾਰਨੇ ਜਾਵੈ

Bow and be the dust of a Sikhs feet. The Guru is a sacrifice to such a Sikh who does such a thing.

BHai Prahlaad SIngh Ji

and Guru Sahib also says

ਪਹਿਲਾ ਮਰਣੁ ਕਬੂਲਿ ਜੀਵਣ ਕੀ ਛਡਿ ਆਸ ॥
ਹੋਹੁ ਸਭਨਾ ਕੀ ਰੇਣੁਕਾ ਤਉ ਆਉ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੧॥

First, accept death, and give up any hope of life.
Become the dust of the feet of all, and then, you may come to me. ||1||

The ego prevents us from accepting death only by serving the Guru Ji at his holy feet
will we ever be able to accepting death, and eventually receive pure bliss ( Paramsukh).
Where is Guru Jis holy feet?

ਗੁਰੂ ਸਰੂਪ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਹਈਏ ॥ ਜਿਨ ਕੀ ਟਹਿਕ ਪਰਮਸੁਖ ਲਹੀਏ॥

The Khalsa is the image of the Guru. Serving them celestial peace is obtained.
Bhai Desa SIngh Ji

Not only have I seen Taksali Singhs avoid AKJ Sangat. I have seen AKJ SInghs avoid Sangat with other AKJ SInghs, and Taksali SInghs avoid other Taksali SInghs. Oh my lord, what is the condition of such people?

ਜੋ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਆਏ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵੇ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵਾਸਿ ॥
ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਤਿਨ ਧੁਰਿ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲਿਖਾਸਿ ॥
Those who have not sought the Sanctuary of the True Guru and the Sangat, the Holy Congregation; cursed are their lives, and cursed are their hopes of life.
Those humble servants of the Lord who have attained the Company of the True Guru, have such pre-ordained destiny inscribed on their foreheads.

Everytime we see a GurBhai we should be happy and see it as a great opportunity to earn some hard core Kamaee this was the mentality of the puratan Gurmukhs. Bhai Gurdas Ji mentions

ਗੁਰਭਾਈ ਸੰਤੁਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਚਰਣਾਮ੍ਰਤੁ ਲੈ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਿਵੇਹੀ ।
ਪੈਰੀ ਪਵਣੁ ਨ ਛੋਡੀਐ ਕਲੀ ਕਾਲਿ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ਕਰੇਹੀ

ਵਾਰ ੧

Be happy when meeting a fellow Gursikh. Take their ( Gursikhs) holy water ( CHaran AMrit) and put it in your mouth with each and every breath.
The breath should forsake this Amrit. In kaljug congregating with Gursikhs is the highest purifying method.

Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji mentions the following pangti

ਸੁਖ ਦਾਤਾ ਦੁਖ ਭੰਜਨਹਾਰਾ ਗਾਉ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਪੂਰਨ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥
ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਖੰਡ ਖੰਡ ਕੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੇ ਬਿਨਸਿਓ ਮੂੜ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ॥੧॥

and states

ਸਿੱਟਾ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਗਾਵਨ ਰੂਪੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ- ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੀ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਗਿਆਨ ਹੈ। ਯਦਿ ' ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ', ਸਿਰ ਕਰਮਨ ਕੇ ਕਰਮਨਾ ਹੈ, ਆਰਥਾਤ, ਮੁਖ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਕਰਮ ਹੈ, ਤਦੇ ਹੀ ਹੁਕਮ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ' ਗਾਓੁ ' ਇਹ ਕੀਰਤਨ। ਯਦਿ ਅਜਿਹਾ ਮੁਕ ਕਰਮ- ਬਿਬੇਕ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਕਰਮ ਦਾ ਬਿਨਾਸ ਤੁਰੀਆ ਪਦ ਵਿਕੇ ਭੀ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਨਹੀਂ।

Praising WaaheGUru in the form of kirtan is the highest karam. It is the highest practice of BIbek. This practice becomes overflowing and indestructible where one reaches the fourth state ( Chauta/Turiya Pad)

Khalsa is pure. How do us Manmukhs become Khalsa and pure. ONly through the Sadh Sangat is Khalsa made. Praising Guru Sahib through Kirtan is how the filthy mind becomes pure.

ਕਲਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਪਰਧਾਨਾ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਪੀਐ ਲਾਇ ਧਿਆਨਾ ॥ .

In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises are most sublime and exalted.
In the holy company mediate on Akal Purakh and receive pure concentration.

It is Gurmat rehat to meet Chardi Kala Sikhs and do Naam Abhyiaas/kirtan/ paat/seva etc. Through Gurmukhs love of the Gurshabad arises in the hearts. It doesnt matter what Jatha people classify these Gurmukhs into as Gursikhs we should seek the company of elevated souls. We should not be attached to any particular group.

ਗੁਰੂ ਕਾ ਸਿਖ, ਭਲੇ ਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਸਂਗਤ ਕਰੈ , ਜਿਸ ਕੇ ਸਂਗਿ ਭਾਉ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋਇ

A sikh of the Guru should keep company great/CHardi Kala ( Bhalley) by keeping company of such souls the Gursikh is gifted with divine love for the GurShabad

Guru Sahib called Sadh Sangat a school for a reason.

ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਟਸਾਲ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਿਖਾ ॥
Its the place where we learn how to praise WaaheGuru from other Gursikhs it doesnt matter what jatha they belong too.

Sant Isher SIngh Ji ( Rara Sahib) quotes the following pangti

ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਸਾਧਸੰਗੁ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਤਿਨ ਭੇਟਤ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਖੋਈ ॥

and states

ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਲਖ ਚਰੌਾਸੀ ਜੋਨੀਆਂ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਮਨੁਖ ਸਰੀਰ ਦੁਰਲੰਬ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਜਦ ਸਤਸੰਗਤ ਪਰਾਪਤ ਜੋ ਜਾਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਪਰਮਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਰਸਤਾ ਸੁਲਬ ਹੋ
ਜਾਇਆ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਔਰ ਸਤ ਪੁਰਸ਼ਾ ਦੀ ਸਗੰਤ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਬੂ ਪਰਾਪਤੀ ਸੌਖੀ ਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਇਆ ਕਰਦੀ ਹੈ.

In the thousands of life forms the human form ( birth of a Gursikh) is the most rare. By meeting the Satsangat the path to Akal Purakh and self realization ( becomes easy through the company of elevated souls .

In the sangat all filth is removed. WHen the dirt of the mind is destroyed one gains the strength plus humility to accept death and become KHALSA. We should always look for Khalsa in the sangat and serve and learn from them. THis way the impossible becomes possilbe.

ਪਿੰਗੁਲ ਪਰਬਤ ਪਾਰਿ ਪਰੇ ਖਲ ਚਤੁਰ ਬਕੀਤਾ ॥

ਅੰਧੁਲੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸੂਝਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਭੇਟਿ ਪੁਨੀਤਾ ॥੧॥

ਮਹਿਮਾ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗ ਕੀ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤਾ ॥

ਮੈਲੁ ਖੋਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਘ ਹਰੇ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਭਏ ਚੀਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਐਸੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਕੀ ਕੀਟਿ ਹਸਤੀ ਜੀਤਾ ॥

ਜੋ ਜੋ ਕੀਨੋ ਆਪਨੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਅਭੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੀਤਾ ॥੨॥

What is the hardest battle we fight in life? the hardest battle we fight in life is against the ego. In sangat we dont associate ourselves with the false self ( Ego) instead we our associates with our trueselves ( the atma). By realizing ourselves we get one step becoming closer to becoming Khalsa. By realizing our true selves and realizing WaaheGuru then we meet the two desired goals in life and become Khalsa. But this can only happen by making efforts to keep the company of devoted souls. It doesnt matter what "group " they belong too.

There are numerous AKJ groups, numerous Taksali groups, numerous Nanaksar groups, numerous Nihang groups. Everyone else getting attached to one particular group. ALl these groups are claiming they are Guru Gobind SInghs Jis group. This is pure ego. Guru Jis group is the Khalsa. If we want to meet him we must see a GurSikh as Guru Sahib and not get attached to certain groups and disregard other GurSikhs. ONly the next generation ( the youth ) can break this backwards mentality of being attached to one group and disregarding other Gursikhs.
April 29, 2010 07:44AM
Very well said, Veer Sukhdeep Singh jeeo. The Gursikhi love is seriously lacking between Gursikhs today. They frown when they see other Gursikhs who don't belong to their group. If one does not truly love Gursikhs, then this is a sign that such person does not love Guru Sahib either.

ਸਿੱਟਾ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਗਾਵਨ ਰੂਪੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ- ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੀ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਗਿਆਨ ਹੈ। ਯਦਿ ' ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ', ਸਿਰ ਕਰਮਨ ਕੇ ਕਰਮਨਾ ਹੈ, ਆਰਥਾਤ, ਮੁਖ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਕਰਮ ਹੈ, ਤਦੇ ਹੀ ਹੁਕਮ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ' ਗਾਓੁ ' ਇਹ ਕੀਰਤਨ। ਯਦਿ ਅਜਿਹਾ ਮੁਕ ਕਰਮ- ਬਿਬੇਕ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਕਰਮ ਦਾ ਬਿਨਾਸ ਤੁਰੀਆ ਪਦ ਵਿਕੇ ਭੀ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਨਹੀਂ।
Praising WaaheGUru in the form of kirtan is the highest karam. It is the highest practice of BIbek. This practice becomes overflowing and indestructible where one reaches the fourth state ( Chauta/Turiya Pad)

The last line of Bhai Sahib should be translated as follows: Since this (doing Kirtan) is such Supreme Bibek-Karam, destruction of this Karam does not occure even in Turiya State. In other words, even after reaching the highest spiritual state, this Supreme Karam of doing Kirtan stays with the Gursikh.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh
April 29, 2010 09:26AM

There are numerous AKJ groups, numerous Taksali groups, numerous Nanaksar groups, numerous Nihang groups. Everyone else getting attached to one particular group. ALl these groups are claiming they are Guru Gobind SInghs Jis group. This is pure ego. Guru Jis group is the Khalsa. If we want to meet him we must see a GurSikh as Guru Sahib and not get attached to certain groups and disregard other GurSikhs. ONly the next generation ( the youth ) can break this backwards mentality of being attached to one group and disregarding other Gursikhs.

this is so true veerji, unfortunately, from what i've seen on the 'net, it's the youth who are promoting most of the fracturing into groups within groups. sad smiley how is it possible to change this trend?
April 29, 2010 02:01PM
Veer Kulbir Singh Ji thanks for the correction.

Is it possible for Akahnd Kirtan to occur with out listening/ praising (kirtan) in Sadh Sangat?

1kaur Bhenji I think the trend can change through teaching the youth the basic tenets of SIkhi and teaching them that all these groups sprung during the Singh Sabha Movement for the purpose of reform. Thus reform is important but discrimination is Durmat.
April 29, 2010 06:20PM
we are fortunate here in the vancouver/surrey area that this is not yet a major problem... but there are some signs but for the most part gursikhs have love for each other be it AKJ, DDT or anything

i remember in december of 2009 there was an AKJ smagam happening and at the same time we had a barsi smagam for Baba Thakur Singh Jee.... both jathai went to each others smagams and it was wonderful

with guru jee's kirpa we can have ekta but it is kaljug

kabeer saachaa sathigur kiaa karai jo sikhaa mehi chook ||
Kabeer, what can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login