ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mata Bhaag Kaur Education Scholorship Program

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

The scholarship is opened for Sikh girls pursuing professional courses anywhere in the world. If you or anyone you know is eligible, do fill out for scholarship and pass the message. The rules and application form is at the below link and the deadline to submit applications is December 31st 2016.

[www.khalsamedia.org]

Together we will all succeed.

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Is there any link for donations ( credit card instead of paypal)?
WaheguroojikakhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

Thank you Bhai Sahib for always supporting our projects. Donations can be made through Dasvandh Network link below and any donation made on November 12th morning would be 100% matched. So if anyone is considering making a donation, please do so on November 12th morning so that you can have double impact of your contributions.

[www.dvnetwork.org]

WaheguroojikakhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!
Thanks for the link Veer Ji. Do we have to donate on the 12th or can we do it before the 12th. Also, have you worked with this Dasvand Network group in the past. I have had bad experiences when donating to East coast networks in the past. IF you say its a trusted site then I can trust them.
not sure how much quota the parbandaks may have...
While in the real world meritocracy matters, given this initiative is for poor Sikh girls.
People from poor background are at times not able to pick up learning skills(vary from human to human.)
As a personal suggestion would be a minimum of 3.0 GPA to aid those in need instead of GPA 3.3.

Provided grade expectation improvement is communicated to the bibian with the learning skills coaching and support they may need.

If we as Sikhs dont make excuses to help our own(Sikh girls), no one else will.

Chota veer
Doing it on Nov 12th morning will get 100% matching so that's what I will recommend. I have used DVN extensively over the last 3 years and it is trusted site now. I know couple of sewadars there and can get any issues sorted out quickly.

At personal level we support many Gursikh girls from poor families from India for elementary and higher education without any GPA requirement but only when they are verified from local sangat we personally know (in the past I have been misused by Gursikh families using same tuition receipts to get money from multiple people).

This particular effort through the organization was to target the girls who are good in studies and want to pursue education in professional courses. GPA of 3.3 is very minimum these days and we came to it after many weeks of discussion with bibian currently in university and recent graduates. In US, Canada, UK and many other countries elementary education is free and of good quality. Based on our budget we can offer scholarship to only 10-15 bibian, we want to target the ones with good score and rehat so that when they become professionals, they can further support 10 times.

Thanks,
Harmeet Singh
Pyasi Chatrik Ji,

You make some good points but Im sure the scholarships have some type of affirmative action which caters to lower caste/lower economic strata, and location. For example, they are most likely going to give to girls that come from both cities and villages.

A few years ago SGPC started a similar scholarship in which serious students from multiple backgrounds were suppose to receive a full scholarship to Cambridge, but the SGPC workers gave the scholarships to family members only. This type of nepotism is common in India, but I think Veer Ji is already aware of this problem and most likely has set up safeguards to prevent this from happening.
Veer Harmeet Singh jeo,

forgive me if my input lacked clarity. While in the west the education system is much better placed. (Hence, 3.3 can be expected) Because, their governments had sense of accountability to its population to deliver an education system that does work in building human capital.

1.The case isnt the same for Sikhs in India & Pakistan, public schooling isnt of much good quality.
... it very much boils down to the parents affordability to send their children to a good school/missionary school.
Hence, the barrier for good quality education & support system begins from young age for some. Though they may not realize this is a problem for them. Its a disadvantage they face, that too not by choice.
When, 3.3 also applies for them. It discourages application from them, right from the beginning.

Its just something to re-evaluate,as the realities of those in India+Pakistan, isn't the same as those in West.

2.Also in addition,...overall.... the parbandak may want to consider if a rehitvaan Bibi comes from a family of beymukhs. Many youths encounter oppression from their own, family at times.Just for trying to be a Sikh.
This program can help them to be independent of their manmukh families influence over their lives.

Chota veer
Veer Harmeet Singh Ji,

Is there a way to donate in cash to Singh's in West London (UK)?
Unjaan Ji - It can be donated using Paypal & Credit Cards through www.khalsamedia.org or [www.dvnetwork.org]. Currently no cash donations from outside of US/Canada are accepted. In the UK, bhenji in Birmingham occasionally do fundraising and I can keep sangat updated on when it happens next.

Chaatrik Ji- I understand your concern and we can definitely support the needy bibian outside of this program at personal level. If you know someone intelligent bibi willing to study but having financial hardship, pm me and I can validate the details and provide the sponsorship. Like I mentioned that having burnt once, I am bit more careful in validating before helping anyone.

Making a program country specific is not possible for us given that we only have 10-15 scholorship for first year. It also becomes complex and very easily unfair if we have different rules for different countries. Once we expand, we can make one specifically for India.
Gurfateh ji,

I was wondering if the panth could do anything to help this young man:

Japan forces a harsh choice on children of migrant families
[www.reuters.com]

Gursewak Singh grew up in Japan, but he cant attend university, because he is poor and is not allowed to work as he is an illegal immigrant. If we paid his tuition fees, he could stay in Japan at a university, while his parents can come to panjab.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login