ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smart Parchar by an intelligent Sikh!

Posted by sikh.learner 
Sometimes we sikhs get a bit too fundamentalist.

There is a 40 year old Singh who is financially very rich. In his colony, he came to know about 10-15 Sikh boys of about 16 years of age daily bunking school, going to some snooker club, playing snooker and side by side doing drugs due to bad sangat there.

This singh was advised to lecture these young boys about sikhism, tell them to come to Gurdwara daily etc etc. He did but nuthing changed and no boy came to Gurdwara Sahib even once.

He thought of another way.
He bought 2 high quality snooker tables. He told the boys you can play snooker here free of cost. But you have to do 20 minutes mool mantar before playing and listen to 20 minutes of Kirtan after playing. On Sundays, I will teach u santhiya of Nitnem Sahib and you will all have to do Japji Sahib with me before leaving.

Guess what, just after 3 months, all these young boys have given up drugs and 4 of them have become amritdharis.

Sometimes Sikhs need to be a bit SMART and INNOVATIVE. in doing parchar of Sikhi.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Excellent story! Thanks for sharing jee.
veer jeeo i have a similar idea!

High quality gyms in Punjab are very expensive, so most of rural and city youth go in over crowded mediocre gyms. We have so much money as a kaum and are just building big marble Gurdwaras. We can make HIGH QUALITY GYMS within the vicinty of Gurdwara building(Guru Angad Dev Ji Maharaj made Mallan de Akharey).
Anyone can come but you have to learn one sakhi a day, 15 minutes mool mantar and Japji Sahib paath and katha once a week.

We can do some much parchar via this method. A punjabi boy will learn about 30 sakhis a month.

there is high chance he will become a proper sikh or
may become a proper sikh later in life as all these sakhis will be stored in his mind.

Even a manmukh Punjab who has knowledge of Guru Itihaas atleast has a place to fall back to if/when he decides to become religious.

I have seen many monaas who studied in Sikh Schools(most sikhs schools dont teach much sikhi but they do teach some sikhi and Gur itihaas and brave sacrifices of Panth) become Sikhs later in life.

On the contrary, monaa punjabis studying in chrisitan schools in india have less chance of coming back into sikhi.
[www.sikhiwiki.org]

Physical Fitness
Guru Angad took a keen interest in physical fitness, and encouraged his devotees to be involved in sports after their morning prayers. Guru Angad Dev ji inspired people to lead healthy lives. According to Guru ji, if you are physically fit only than you can pursue higher goals in life, because a sound mind can exist only in a sound body. He provided opportunities to underprivileged sections of the society to maintain good health. He encouraged all people to be involved in wrestling bouts or Mal Akharas to compete in physical competitions. This was again his way of doing away with social taboos of people of lower caste not having physical contact with higher castes. These steps initiated by him laid the foundation for a spiritually, educated and enlightened, healthy Sikh community, without distinctions of caste and creed.
About this point, Guru Angad sahib ji encouraging wrestlers, I always wondered were those wrestlers kesh-dhari? Because you cannot wrestle with Kesh. Well you can but they would come untied all the time. The best way to handle the kesh is first by tying them in a gutt (ਗੁੱਤ) with a ribbon interweaved and then doing a joorha, just like we do with kids. But even that does not guarantee they will not come undone.
eyesacademic
About this point, Guru Angad sahib ji encouraging wrestlers, I always wondered were those wrestlers kesh-dhari? Because you cannot wrestle with Kesh. Well you can but they would come untied all the time. The best way to handle the kesh is first by tying them in a gutt (ਗੁੱਤ) with a ribbon interweaved and then doing a joorha, just like we do with kids. But even that does not guarantee they will not come undone.

I knew two Keshdhari wrestlers in high school and they both used to tie a patka while wrestling. They never had problems with their Kesh getting untied.
DarbarDaKookar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > About this point, Guru Angad sahib ji
> encouraging wrestlers, I always wondered were
> those wrestlers kesh-dhari? Because you cannot
> wrestle with Kesh. Well you can but they would
> come untied all the time. The best way to handle
> the kesh is first by tying them in a gutt
> (ਗੁੱਤ) with a ribbon interweaved and then
> doing a joorha, just like we do with kids. But
> even that does not guarantee they will not come
> undone.
>
>
> I knew two Keshdhari wrestlers in high school and
> they both used to tie a patka while wrestling.
> They never had problems with their Kesh getting
> untied.

Sure. All of us have wrestled when we were kids. But I have not seen professional wrestler having a big joorha. They all cut it. For a reason. You cannot grapple and expect that kesh will remain respectfully in place. In earlier decades in Punjab guys with kesh used to grapple, but then usually their joorha was light, and even if it got untied it was not much of an issue, just stop and tie it. But not so in professional world.

So the point is, if one is relaxed about the issue of joorha getting out of shape or keski coming undone, sure you can grapple. But if you are strict about it, no you should not because if the keski or patka comes undone, you would not like it.
It is most likely that Gursikhs kept an extra Keski and Kangha during training and actually war in case Keski falls off, or Kangha becomes separated from body. This can be done by tying a Keski as a kamarkaasa(belt) and attaching the Kangha to your gatra, or tucking it inside kamarkaasaa. Although, when Gursikhs trained amongst each I'm sure they did so in a way to avoid this problem in the first place and would only be needed for real war-time situations.
Wrestling with kesh is very possible. Punjabi wrestlers like Jassa Patti are keshdhari and very good competitive wrestlers.

Wrestling/kushti is a very good sport. It is good for grappling skills and it makes the body very strong. Hari Singh Nalwa is said to be a wrestler before he became soldier in the Khalsa army. That is why he was very strong physically. Guru Jee also created Mal Akharas and encouraged Sikhs to learn wrestling.

Today we are seeing many cases of Sikhs being attacked. Sikhs need physical training in West and in India.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login