ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glorious Legacy of Khalsa - Need Suggestions for Topic

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Khalsa Ji, Daas is preparing a 20 minute lecture aimed at non-Sikhs on the title, "Glorious Legacy of the Khalsa."

It would be nice to share perhaps one or two historical incidents/accounts/stories and some quotes.

Any ideas and suggestions of what to cover or include in 20 minute short talk to non-Sikhs?

Thanks

Daas,
Manvir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
In lectures I've done, non-Sikhs have been always intrigued by the topic of baNa, especially as they are already wondering why I look different from any Sikh woman they've seen before, with a dastar and chola, and it's a good idea to go wearing shaster for yourself jee, especially as it serves as a purpose to also educate on Kirpan. On the topic of bana, I have always used that as a segway to talk about Dashmesh Pita Jee and the creation of Khalsa, and then go into discussing why the creation of such a distinct external communal identity was a means to initiate and aid revolution, challenge the upper class, detonate the caste system, unify and strengthen the Sikh nation, empower WOMEN (because bibian were given the same external rehat as men which sadly they stopped following), etc. These are all topics which Westerners can relate to and seem to fit your theme, especially if you explain the historical conditions during which the Khalsa was created and this external identity was introduced. You can fit in the topic of dastar and kes too, which is something nonsikhs always ask about
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login