ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fourteen lok

Posted by Sukhbir paintal 
Fourteen lok
April 06, 2016 06:11AM
I am new to this site rather first time writing here and have a question ,hope i can get an answer
Sache paatsha Guru Pita Guru Gobind singh ji has written

Chowdahe (14) lok jahe bas kine tasen kahan pale hain. (Rag devgandhari Patshahi 10)

And also in chaupai sahb HE says

Lok chatar das khel rachayao

Which also means fourteen lok

What does fourteen lok means , i thought there are only 3 loks

GURU ji also has said. ,bhumi akaas pataal rasatal jach bhujang sabhe sir nyavoh

Rasatal i read means the 7th layer of life in pataal

Thanking in advance

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Fourteen lok
April 06, 2016 06:29AM
When Guru Sahib says 14 Lok or 3 worlds, it means the whole universe. It does not mean that Guru Sahib is giving support to the idea that there are only 14 Loks or 3 worlds. Using the contemporary language Guru Sahib is simply stating that in 7 Akaash and 7 Pataar, Invisible Vaheguru jee is pervading in whole of universe.

Kulbir Singh
April 20, 2016 03:48PM
I agree with Kulbir Singh Jee. But just for general knowledge:

3 ਭਵਨ ਇਹ ਹਨ:
ਪਾਤਾਲ, ਆਕਾਸ਼, ਮਾਤਲੋਕ

ਵਿਚਾਰ ਸਾਗਰ ਉਨੁਸਰ 14 ਲੋਕ ਇਹ ਹਨ:
1.ਭੂਤ ਲੋਕ, 2.ਭੁਵਰ ਲੋਕ, 3.ਸਵਰ ਲੋਕ, 4.ਮਹਰ ਲੋਕ, 5. ਜਨ ਲੋਕ, 6.ਤਪ ਲੋਕ, 7.ਸਤਲੋਕ
ਇਹ ਸੱਤ ਉਪਰ ਦੇ ਲੋਕ ਹਨ, ਤੇ ਥੱਲੇ ਦੇ ਸੱਤ ਲੋਕ ਇਹ ਨੇ:
1.ਅਤਲ ਲੋਕ, 2.ਸੁਤਲ ਲੋਕ, 3.ਪਤਾਲ ਲੋਕ, 4.ਵਿਤਲ ਲੋਕ, 5.ਰਸਾਤਲ ਲੋਕ, 6.ਤਲਾਤਲ ਲੋਕ, 7 ਮਹਾਤਲ ਲੋਕ

ਪ੍ਰੰਤੂ, ਕਈ ਵਿਧਵਾਨਾਂ ਨੇ 14 ਲੋਕ ਇਸ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦਸੇ ਹਨ:
1.ਸਤਯ ਲੋਕ, 2.ਬੈਕੁੰਟ ਲੋਕ, 3.ਸ਼ਿਵ ਲੋਕ, 4.ਸੂਰਯ ਲੋਕ, 5.ਦੇਵ ਲੋਕ, 6.ਪਿਤ੍ਰ ਲੋਕ, 7.ਸਿਧ ਲੋਕ,
ਤੇ ਅਗਲੇ ਸੱਤ ਇਹ ਹਨ:
1.ਮਾਯਾ ਲੋਕ, 2.ਯਮ ਲੋਕ, 3.ਗੰਧਰਬ ਲੋਕ, 4.ਯਕ ਲੋਕ, 5.ਕਿਨਰ ਲੋਕ, 6.ਨਾਗ ਲੋਕ, 7.ਦੈਂਤ ਲੋਕ
April 20, 2016 04:24PM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jio, is there a guidance on how to understand the contemporary language is used to explain things or it is mentioned that this is how world is? Example, Gurbani says 84 lakh joon, some people say that contemporary language is used to mean that all forms of joon.

One option I think (correct me if I am wrong) is whether the concept is a common concept, it could be contemporary language to explain us by example. If it was not known before, it most likely would be teaching us that this is how things are (e.g. 84 lakh joon weren't known before so it is most likely telling us that these many forms of life are there). Not that it matters how many joons are there but guidance on understanding Gurbani will be helpful.
April 20, 2016 07:27PM
According to scientific estimate there are 8.7 million species. This is just an estimate but look how close it is to charasi lakh(8.4 million).
April 20, 2016 09:13PM
Other similar examples are 'Nau Khand', 'Nau Nidhi', 'Atharah Siddhi', 'Khat Karam', etc.
Such terms of contemporary language are explained quite well by Bhai Kahn Singh Ji Nabha in Mahan Kosh. However, going too much into the details of these terms becomes a mess. So it is better to understand just the gist of it, in the same way as Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji has explained about 14 Lok above.
April 21, 2016 10:38AM
Harmeet Singh jeeo,

When Guru Sahib refers to 84 Lakh Joons it is a literal reference to there being exactly 84 Lakh Joons. But the thing to remember is that Joons and Species are different, so even if scientists say there are 8.7 million species on this Earth, there may be groupings of these species into a Joon.

Preetam Singh
April 21, 2016 02:50PM
I think Bhai Harmeet Singh's question was if there is some guide to being able to distinguish between Gurbani terms that are literal and terms that are using contemporary language.
May 06, 2016 08:57PM
Harmeet Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> One option I think (correct me if I am wrong) is
> whether the concept is a common concept, it could
> be contemporary language to explain us by example.
> If it was not known before, it most likely would
> be teaching us that this is how things are (e.g.
> 84 lakh joon weren't known before so it is most
> likely telling us that these many forms of life
> are there).

It is a common fallacy among newer generation to think that 84 lakh joonies is a concept given first by Guru Nanak Dev Ji. No its not. The idea of 84 lakh joonis (yonis in hindi/sanskrit) has come from vedic literature. All of those who have grown up in India in have seen this mentioned in hindi films and tv serials countless number of times especially in the old Ramayana and Mahabharata serial which was telecasted in 80s.

An easy way to know/confirm is to refer to the the ISKON people (International Society for Krishna Consciousness). You can ask a real person or you can search online. Srila Prabhupada has mentioned the 84 lakh jooni cycle of birth and death many times in his teachings.

here is an example
https://harekrishnarevolution.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/8-4-million-species-of-life/

I personally subscribe to the idea that when Guru ji mentions 84 lakhs, its just like he mentions 14 loks or 3 bhavans. It means all the forms of life, it does not matter what the actual number is, the idea is every form of life a soul can get.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login