ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rise in Extremism or Rise in Hysteria? Canadian Sikhs Setting the Record Straight

Posted by harinder_singh 
[www.articleant.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sikhs in the recent few weeks have been getting a lot of bad press. I wish Sikhs of Canada can form some sort of organisation to counter point by point each article written which unjustly shows Sikhs in bad light.
seems like the worst of it comes from non-amritdhari "sikhs" who tell the press that kirpaans aren't necessary, etc. sad smiley
We spend so much time and money on things like NAGAR KIRTAN; which do not ultimately bring us a good name. One Veer Ji told us that we should have press or media in our favor. For that he suggested different points. Sending so much money to HAITI on our own, without having lot of Publicity is waste. It must have been shared with some amount sent through the important news papers. We should learn to bribe the journalists or press. They must be envolved in important events.

Related with the subject is my observation on Canadian sikhs? Why we do not listen about 3HO or other sikh converts in CANADA as much as they are in USA? Why canadian sikhs (as compared to USA) with so much of their population in Canada, have failed to attract local western people to Sikhism? Your views please.

MB Singh Wrote:
>Sending so much money to HAITI
> on our own, without having lot of Publicity is
> waste. It must have been shared with some amount
> sent through the important news papers. We should
> learn to bribe the journalists or press. They must
> be envolved in important events.

veerji, i humbly submit that seva should be gupt, nishkaam. not done for publicity or news media coverage, but instead done for the welfare of others. to escape bad media, we should avoid controversy and brawls at gurdwaras. we should settle our differences in private. in short, we should behave like sikhs.

if we do as much seva as we should, people will simply notice that we are peaceful and giving. if we continue to feed the poor, to help those in need, we won't need to bribe the press... eventually they wider community will notice on their own.
Bhein Ji, I resect & agree with your views. We should do as u suggest. But we have had a bad experience so far. People forget our good deeds soon. India forgot our contributions. Hindus at large never know our big favors for the commmunity. World War contibutions of sikh soldiers are no longer being respected by France or Britian. Each new generation of sikhs or non sikhs needs constant reminders of our good deeds. Gupt concept of Sewa is good for Personal level. Everything we do at community level or Global level needs to be recorded and reported. As it is important to read GURU GHAR and HISTORY SAKHIES to new generation again and again. So is important to read and write good deeds of our Community, to people around and people within.

Can somebody write the contibutions of Sikhs at Global Level? I remember nothing before HAITI.
Veer Kulbir Singh Ji, do u know one Urdu Sheir.

WOH KATAL BHI KARTE HAIN TOU CHARCHA NAHI HOTA
HMM AAH BHI BHARTE HAIN TOU HOU JATE HAIN BADNAAM.

It is interesting and fits well on our community.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login