ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sikhs in America are still coming under attack because people think they’re Muslims

Posted by JASJIT SINGH 
Although Sikhs are still living under attacks by haters but at the same time there is hope that such a small news coverage is brining awareness who the Sikhs are. I read some comments under news article and happy to see that fellow non-Sikh Americans are standing up against such incidents. This support is much needed in this time especially from people who keep human values higher in this great nation.

Thanks to those Sikh organizations who are working tirelessly to bring Sikh Identity up.

[www.msn.com]

Comments are interesting to read especially the replies to following ones (Bold italic) where few posted under ignorance and hate. But they receive rebuttal without hesitation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott Goodman ·
Van Buren Jr/Sr High School
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. This is good advice. If I were a Sikh, I would wear western clothes, shave or at least trim my beard and not wear a rag on my head. I would switch to a hat or cap. Attacking people for how they look is not right. Sticking out like a sore thumb is not right either.

George Golinski ·
Project Manager at Baircom Consulting, Inc.
So they have to limit their freedom to ensure their safety? Not in this country.

Todd Breckenridge ·
Carnegie Mellon University
Rednecks sometimes wear long beards and wear camo clothing in inappropriate settings. Would you recommend that they shave their beards and wear "western" clothes too?

Terry T. Magyar ·
Gahanna, Ohio
Scott Goodman, Cutting hair is forbidden in Sikhism for those who have taken the Amrit initiation ceremony. These Amritdhari or Khalsa Sikhs are required to keep unshorn hair. A Sikh is expected to keep all hair intact and the head covered. The rule of dress for every Sikh man is to wear a turban. Confining the hair (kes) within the turban frees the wearer from the social pressures of following fickle fashion dictates, and allows the attention to focus inwardly on the worship of the divine, rather than outwardly on superficial material entrapments. This is their religion. Their long hair and turban is not a fashion statement.

Try to open your ears and mind, before you speak with such ignorance and don't forget they too are entitled to freedom of religion. They are a peaceful people.

McArthur Brookings ·
TWE at VA Medical Center
who are the Romans?

Timothy Timothy
They are free just like you. They can dress however they want. Get over yourself.

Tom Watson
George Golinski You are correct. They can keep being the victims of people thinking the are dangerous.

Bob Hale
Your suggestion is a terrible one. If they did as Americans are doing to them, then they would be attacking anyone that looks different than they do.

Bob Hale
Your suggestion is a terrible one. If they did as Americans are doing to them, then they would be attacking anyone that looks different than they do.

Kat Chalater ·
Portland, Oregon
There is nothing unAmerican about Sikh clothing. What makes you think they "came here" and weren't born here. Individual dress is part of being American. Frankly I'd rather see a Sikh than some other styles I see like tubes in the ears and nose.

Jeff Sorensen ·
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Scott Goodman: Mr. Goodman, It would seem that junior high was your crowning achievement in life

Val Edwards ·
Amherst Central High School
Todd Breckenridge No but you will discriminate against them and fear them out of their element.

John Spurlock ·
Works at Self-Employed
George Golinski Apparently so. Otherwise, this would be no story.

Todd Breckenridge ·
Val Edwards Why would I?
There's no difference between my example and Scott's. I treat both as Americans, like any good American would.

Chris Lee ·
Pensacola Junior College
It goes like this with some white people. As long as my rights arnt taken i dint care what you do to those other americans. I guess some have forgotten why their immagrant ancestors came to this country in the first place.

Kickie Vanderverde ·
San Antonio, Texas
Terry T. Magyar so why do they join the military if they are peaceful? Being a soldier is not a peaceful profession, you have to be willing to kill

Kickie Vanderverde ·
San Antonio, Texas
Todd Breckenridge if they join the military they do wink emoticon

Belinda Singleton ·
Capella University
Scott: This is America for God's sake! Land of the free.Why do you not take your own advice and follow what most posters do? That is, show a pic!!!

Orly Aguilar
George Golinski Well, it seems in this country it would be safer for them.

Paul Williams ·
Louisiana Tech University
These folks get to wear long beards and turbans while in "uniform" in the u s military. Christians must be clean-shaved and do NOT get thier choice of headgear. I don't give a damn about their issues while they are getting such undeserved preferential treatment already.

Timothy Timothy
...a Skoal Bandit cap and soul patch are not a religious freedom numbnuts.

Chris Lee ·
Pensacola Junior College
You cant reason with hate.
Shaun Harrison ·
Works at Project DC Events
I dont understand how people can hate so much. It takes so much energy to harbor the amount of hate i have seen in this article. Imgaine what one could do with that energy if they just stopped hating everyone that happens to not be like them.

Walter Eberhard ·
Works at Retired
Real "heros"...two 20 year olds beating on a 68 year old man.

Timothy Timothy
I know right?

Dave Gage ·
Works at Retired
Xenophobia at work. Propagated by fear and ignorance and fertilized by Trump and people like him.

Margaret Gust
How is the air up there on your high horse?

Dave Gage ·
Works at Retired
Margaret Gust : Well, Margaret, it's free of prejudice and guilt. And, as you should know, in step with American values and aligned with our Constitution.

Pete Samuel ·
Works at Chife Engineer
They don't belong in the USA, GET OUT.

Bryan Turner ·
Works at Ryan Turner Auctioneer
My ancestor is a Cherokee Indian which makes me technically more American than you Pete. So, why don't you just get out and come back where your ancestors came from Pete?

Christina Lee Rickard ·
Owner at Stay a Stay at Home Mom
Really? The ignorance is strong with this man.....

Arish Preet Nat ·
Elk Grove, California
Looking at pete's mug. i think he has every right to be mad at all of us and GoD in general.

Timothy Timothy
Arish Preet Nat He looks like he did the 50 yard dash in a 40 yard gym?

Tom Watson
Bryan Turner No your aren't. "Native" Americans immigrated from Asia.

Timothy Timothy
Bryan Turner is a liquor drinkin chug

Kristie Kunau Stafford
So, Petey, just who does belong in the US?

Mike Jones ·
Pleasant Home
Bryan Turner Me to and guess what the Cherokee, creek and the other 3 civalsized tribes sometimes wore turbans.

John Spurlock ·
Works at Self-Employed
Bryan Turner Why does that make you more American than Pete? Who did the Cherokee buy the land from?

John Spurlock ·
Works at Self-Employed
Arish Preet Nat Maybe Pete and his family fought in our wars and spilled blood. Did any of yours that critisized him?

Pete Samuel ·
Works at Chife Engineer
Bryan Turner I would love to if Obama had not taken all the money and blown it.

Pete Samuel ·
Works at Chife Engineer
Christina Lee Rickard I wonder what you will say when one of them kills someone in your family. It's only a matter of time.

Pete Samuel ·
Works at Chife Engineer
Arish Preet Nat You seam to live well under the freedom I helped with.

Todd Breckenridge ·
Pete Samuel I don't think you heard me. Learn how to be an American, or get out of my country. Your un-American attitude disgusts me

Pete Samuel ·
Works at Chife Engineer
Kristie Kunau Stafford it's there ways that don't belong. What's wrong with just being American, liven American ways. Get rid of the sheets and snake charmer hats. Start eating real food, like pork or even a hotdog. No have you seen the things they eat. It would make a VC puke.

Todd Breckenridge ·
Pete Samuel Why do you hate America? You're less American than the Sikh folks in this article. You need to learn how to be an American, and clearly don't know a damn thing about American values. Absolutely disgusting.

Tyler Pearson ·
Riverton High School
Pete Samuel guys leave Pete alone,
It's not His fault his old brain can only understand the racist ways of his childhood. We will never convince someone so old and blind with rage. Plus all the drugs we tested on him in the war.
It's alway racist old men that sick up for the most assbackwards beliefs...... Nothing new

Arish Preet Nat ·
Elk Grove, California
Pete Samuel I don't know about food pyramid or rattlesnake bites, but I can tell you one thing, most sikh's, bobby jindal and nikki Haley will defend this nation till last drop of blood.

Bryan Turner ·
Tom Watson, of course I know that Native Americans migrated from Asia to North America tens of thousands of years ago. I only used this idiots logic to counter his stupidity.

Bryan Turner ·
Pete Samuel, well you don't seem that intelligent if you gave your money to Obama to blow.

Belinda Singleton ·
Capella University
Tom Watson: That is an old and tired talking point. Whether they are from Asia or not, the point is American Indians came here first and settled in North America first. So they have first claim to the land and are the original people of North America.

Orly Aguilar
Tom Watson Native Americans have seniority over any others.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I'm pretty sure most of the causes of the hate is due to Haumai and Krodh, (only things Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji can cure). Ignorance is more of an excuse to do all of this, (I don't know all the races and religions of the world; however, I don't have any hatred out of nowhere). It is still good to see some Non-Sikhs who seem to respect some Sikhs; however, we should combat the hate or else they'll put their hatred towards another group or community. (Which we don't want).
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login