ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HIP HOP/SIKHI

Posted by Unjaan 
HIP HOP/SIKHI
December 10, 2015 05:10PM
I frequently look at Google News and search under the heading 'Sikh' and came across this kesdhari hip hop artist from Australia. It's hard for me to fathom why someone looking like this would perform Hip Hop Music when his mother wears a keski plus he does appear to have a level of piaar for Sikhi.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: HIP HOP/SIKHI
December 11, 2015 06:09AM
Most of his stuff is Sikhi or spirituality or dharam related. I was a fan of his before I took amrit, for this reason. His belief is thaf hip-hop can be used to do spread positive messages among youth brought up in the West, because it's in a language and medium they understand and enjoy. However, most gurmukhs are against seeing Sikhs take to these outlets because they are representive of a very corrupt and sinful culture. Years back when more "Singhs" started turning to hip-hop/rap to spread awareness about Panthic issues, this trend was successful in awakening western Punjabi youth to these issues. However, if you look at where these artists have taken their music now, it has done more damage than good because these same people now tarnish the image of Sikhi with the things they sing about.
December 11, 2015 12:21PM
https://www.instagram.com/lfreshthelion/
December 11, 2015 03:34PM
Personally, when I was a mona I used to compose and write rap songs too but then I started doing Anand Sahib and realized that Guru Sahib was speaking to me:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਿਨਾ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ॥
December 12, 2015 04:14AM
ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ
December 12, 2015 09:43PM
To be fair, dhadhi vaaran, kavisharies, etc., are artforms parvaan by Guru Sahib for self-expression outside of Gurbani. (Obviously hip-hop isn't approvable.)
December 14, 2015 06:23AM
I didn't see anything that bad in his music that would cause people to go further from Sikhi, before starting my nitnem and Gurbani I would've listened lots of Dharmic songs from Immortal Productions and most of it was inspiring. As long as he's not singing bad songs that normal people sing about I'd say it could be tolerated.
December 14, 2015 10:24PM
Personally, there's nothing wrong with Dharmic songs from Immortal Productions. I still listen to them sometimes but anything that's not about Sikhi Ithihaas or Gurbani Vichar actually has a negative effect on Naam Ras that is obtained through Simran and Gurbani. At least for me anyways.

I remember when Humble the Poet released his first song people were talking about how he is spreading a positive message but now look what he has turned into. Anything that is not Sikhi just fuels the haume in my opinion. With that being said, Kirtan and other types of Vichar performed without Love for Guru Sahib and Akal Purkh can fuel the haume as well. Again, this is just my opinion.

Bhul Chuk Maafi
December 15, 2015 12:54PM
It's not only about his music and that he's singing songs that are not sinful in nature but the fact that he is associating with a group of people who can influence him negatively and singing in front of dare I say Manmukhs. This lifestyle is not compatible with Sikhi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login