ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tying Keski at Amrit Sanchaar Correctly

Posted by kaurrr_ 
At amrit sanchaar's, I understand that abhilaakee's must tie a basant keski and then a longer dastar on top. Personally, I like to to have a very long keski so that I can tie it into my kes like a bunga and then make it become my keski too. I then tie navy blue dastar on top of this. This way I can just have one keski and one dastar instead of a separate bunga, separate keski and separate dastar. Since amrit is sprinkled onto head at amrit sanchaar, can I tie a 'bunga' or should I just tie keski around my head and then dastar?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Yes you have to be mindful of the fact that Amrit is sprinkled in the hair, by opening the Dastaar from the top. If the Dastaar is sealed tight and it's hard to reach the surface of skull, then you will have to open your Dastaar at that time, so that Amrit can be sprinkled in the head. So tie your Dastaar accordingly

Kulbir Singh
Should bunga not be tied then even if it's separate from the keski and dastar is able to open from the top? Should joora not be individually covered at all?
In addition to Bhai Sahib Kulbir Singh Ji advice, a Keski is supposed to be around 2 metres long, so that it can go around one's head 3 - 4 times. Basically, what differentiates a Dastara from a Keski is the length. So, a 'very long' dastar should be used as the Dastara on top of one's Keski, not as the Keski itself.
But I know of a lot of singhs and bibis that tie their keski into their hair so that it never separates from the body. The keski itself goes around the head 3-4 times but there is 1-1.5 more metres so that it can be tied into the hair. This is still not okay?

Should bunga not be tied then even if it's separate from the keski and dastar is able to open from the top? Should joora not be individually covered at all?
It is not prohibited to tie a bunga. It is just that it is more convenient to tie only a Keski and a Dastar at the time of Amrit Sanchaar due to the reason given by Bhai Sahib Kulbir Singh Ji
I have tied my keskee with Bunga during Amrit Sanchaar with a dastaar, but you have to be careful that you leave space on top so the top of your head is easily available to sprinkle Amrit. Just practice beforehand and see if you are able to touch the top of your head easily.
Bhenjee, can you explain how you tied your dastar and bunga at amrit sanchaar? Like was your bunga also your keski, how did you make sure your keski and dastar was able to open, how long was the dasat, bunga, and keski...?
Hanjee my Bunga was part of my keskee. I just tied it a bit lose on top making sure the larh didn't cover my bunga. My keskee was 4 meters full width, that included the bunga, and dastar about 7 meters full width. It might be easier to practice before hand. But if you still feel unsure, just do regular keskee without bunga , and tied it again after Amrit Sanchaar. You don't want the Panj Pyaaray to be taking their time trying to find the top of your head.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login