ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

*** NO FEMALE GURUS***

Posted by Damandeep Singh 
*** NO FEMALE GURUS***
October 15, 2015 03:40AM
Sangat Ji a Group of German People visited the Gurdwara Shaib on monday and one question was quite interesting.

The lady asked:

"If there is equality why wasn't there any female Guru?"

Obviously they were told at the beginning that the Guru is the Shabad and no physical body can be the eternal Guru but on a wordly Basis why weren't there any female Deh-Dhaari Guru during 1469-1708?

All I could say was:

"In order to give the woman the equal right the process had taken time. Thus, in 1699 the equality was complete. If a female Body would have spoken for equal rights at that time, probably noone would have followed except for some very few People."

I don't think the Lady was satisfied with the answer.

What is the correct answer/reason?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: *** NO FEMALE GURUS***
October 15, 2015 07:25AM
I'm sorry Bhai Sahib, I will be going a little bit off topic.

Over a period of time, I have realised that if we explain Gurmat Asools to Manmukhs in 'their' terminology, it results in disastrous understanding.

As we can see, the words 'equality', 'tolerance', etc. have been so overused in Sikhi that people think it is perfectly okay for a Sharaabi clean shaven person to have an Anand Karaj in front of Guru Granth Sahib. People think that since Sikhi is super-tolerant, it is perfectly okay for Sikhs to eat meat or to dance around half naked in weddings.

I may be wrong, but Sikhi does not conform to Western standards of 'equality', 'feminism', 'veganism', and several other 'isms'. Gurmat virtues are unique in themselves.

Coming to the original question, you had already given the answer, i.e., the Guru is Shabad. So the second question becomes invalid in itself.
A kindergarten child can't understand high school stuff. Similarly, someone whose thinking is limited to Trai-Gunn, can't really understand the Shabad Guru.

Anyways, I remember Gyani Kulwant Singh Ji (Ludhiane Wale) answering a similar question by saying, ਇਹ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਅਧਿਕਾਰ ਹਨ.
October 15, 2015 08:35AM
Just to add to the above. People who wants to be just ahead of others in Talks raises such things.

For Eg: People have this question that how can Guru Harkrishan ji Maharaj become a Guru in such a small age?

What answer do we thing we can give them? Its all about love and Akaal Purakh's will.

On the other hand there were many Other Chardikala waale Gursikhs like Baba Budha ji, Bhai Gurdas ji, Bhai Mani Singh ji and Many more but they never became Guru. Its all Akaal Purakhs will.

Bhul CHuk di kheema ji....
October 15, 2015 10:23AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The correct answer is because that is how it was to be by the Almighty. Also, when the Tenth Guru was ordered to make the Khalsa by the Almighty, the Khalsa was also blessed with a father and a MOTHER, which is unique in all faiths.

If that does not satisfy the person, so be it - we don't have to impress anyone. If one reads Gurbani and understands the revelation is way beyond the confines of gender and worldly labels, they will stop asking questions. If not, our duty is to politely inform and let the truth stand for what it is.
October 15, 2015 12:37PM
I forgot to add one thing. Guru Amardas Jee established twenty two Manjees for Parchar. Among them, Bibian used to do Parchar on behalf of Guru Amardas Jee.
October 15, 2015 04:47PM
I think Sikhs make a mistake trying to explain Sikhi by trying to fit it into western standards of 'equality' which many times goes against Bibek. While we believe in equality between men and women but that does not mean we subscribe to western feminism. Only Guru Sahib Jee knows the reason why we did not have a female Guru but if we didn't it does not mean Gurus thought any less of women. We all know that all the Gurus belonged to Khatri background but it would be foolish to think they thought any less of other castes because we all know Gurus loved Sikhs regardless of caste background.
October 15, 2015 11:51PM
Sat Sri Akal,
As a female, my dubdi understanding is from Bhai Vir Singh Jio English account of Guru Nanak Dev Jio, where explained to his wife that His life of being a Guru of Vahiguroo requires living a life of preaching in very trying circumstances, thus He left her and children with her parents.
A female would have to use superpowers (against Gurmat values), to be safe performing role of Guru?
Bhul chul muaf Vahiguroo
October 17, 2015 08:54AM
A response to this is that in regards to Gender Equality, whether it is in the Western context or Sikh context, does not constitute equality of outcome, rather equality of opportunity. An exemplification of this is that both men and women in countries like Canada & Australia have equal access to education and job opportunities, and this constitutes equality of opportunity. What is not constituted is that men or women have equal outcomes in regards to success in certain fields, such as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) where there is disproportionate representation of men in these fields than women. In these fields, women have equal opportunity to go to any university they wish and get any degree in the STEM field they wish, but the female populous as a whole is not guaranteed to have equal success or even equal representation. That responsibility lies in the hands of women and women only. Similarly, in Sikhi, men and women have been given equal opportunity to do any Seva they wish, keep any Rehat that they wish and do anything in their will to progress spiritually, but they are not given the promise of equal outcome. Another argument is that nothing stops children of the age of 12 to purse spirituality with the same rigor as an individual in the adult age, but there is a disproportionate amount of Chardikala Gursikhs in adult age than children around the age of 12, even though both groups have been given equal access to Naam & Bani. Furthermore, even though both males & females have equal opportunity to walk into the Communal Kitchen at the local gurdawara to do Seva by making langar, traditionally, there are more females than males (This is a generalization, for the sake of making a point) doing this wonderful seva. As such, a larger representation of a certain gender in any role in Sikhi does not invalidate the notion that Sikhi does promotes equality.
October 17, 2015 11:24AM
I agree with posters above that we would go wrong when we try to explain Sikhi from point of view of western audience. Guru Sahib's main reason for taking avtaar was to save humanity by bringing Satnaam from Sachkhand and distributing Naam daan amongst humanity. They were not here to conform to western standards of gender equality. Guru Sahib did not come here for social reforms, they came here to save millions of being from Maya and endless cycle of births and deaths.
October 18, 2015 09:57AM
...my dubdi understanding mostly reminded that Rehitvaan Gurmukhs Sab Suhagan of Vahiguroo..., but to translate this would cause more beadbi (jaanvar mat kalyug) to our Guru Granth Sahib Jio Gem Gyan...
Bhul chuk muaf Vahiguroo_/\_
Thank you for your replies.

@ks ji: I didn't understand your english.
October 22, 2015 08:45AM
Damandeep Singh ji,
Your question should be asked, "I do not understand your English," and not, "I did not understand your English."
Anyway,
Post 1:
Female Gurus would not be safe.
Post 2:
Gurbani refers to all who loves Vahiguroo as 'Suhagan.'
My humblest apologies for poor English_/|\_
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login