ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wet Kesh in the morning

Posted by Jaskirat Singh 
Wet Kesh in the morning
April 23, 2010 09:57AM
I would like to ask the Gursikhs who perhaps have Guru Maharaaj Jee at their house, daily go to Gurdwara Sahib, or a member of the Sangat's house for Amritvela Simran and Nitnem how they manage the drying of the Kesh after Ishnaan? I ask this because it is best for our Kes if we aeirfy them after Ishnaan everyday, but if the routine is such that you have to sajjaa dastaar immediately with wet Kes they may get a bit icky during the day (especially if done on a daily basis) which may affect condition of the Kes. Khaddur cloth for Dastaar is very helpful, but not the same as proper air dry.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Wet Kesh in the morning
April 23, 2010 10:09AM
I've always wonder this as well
Anyone that does Seva please share there methods

Also should one try and do kesh ishnaan with yoghurt when possible
April 23, 2010 04:08PM
It is a must that one does keshi ishnan daily just as ishnan of rest of the body. Since kesh are part of the body, ishnan of the body without the ishnan of kesh cannot be classified as "gurmat ishnan" of the body.

As for the "drying" process of kesh and sewa, most singhs take the opportuinity to "dry" kesh during naam abhiyaas. It is important to note that kesh are not "dried" in the hazuri of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Kesh may be "dried" in sangat of singhs with covering the head with loose keski during naam abhiyaas aslong as there is no parkash. If naam abhiyaas is held in the hazuri of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, then the kesh must be "dry" enough to tie into dastara before entering the darbar.

If kesh are not "dry" enough still then it is important to allow time after naam abhiyaas and nitnem to dry. Keeping kesh wet is not favourable and does not seem suit. Kesh should be "dry" enough that the keski doesn't absorb too much moisture. Whilst doing nitnem, Kesh must also be tied into dastara if doing paath from gutka/ pothi, unless paath is done from memory.

Bhulla khimma karnia ji.
April 23, 2010 04:17PM
Wah Khalse De Bolle; Singhs do not call Hair Drying; they say "Kes Haare Karna". What should we call in english? Refreshing? confused smiley
Jaskirat Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to ask the Gursikhs who perhaps have
> Guru Maharaaj Jee at their house, daily go to
> Gurdwara Sahib, or a member of the Sangat's house
> for Amritvela Simran and Nitnem how they manage
> the drying of the Kesh after Ishnaan? I ask this
> because it is best for our Kes if we aeirfy them
> after Ishnaan everyday, but if the routine is such
> that you have to sajjaa dastaar immediately with
> wet Kes they may get a bit icky during the day
> (especially if done on a daily basis) which may
> affect condition of the Kes. Khaddur cloth for
> Dastaar is very helpful, but not the same as
> proper air dry.

This is a very tough question. When I took Amrit, Panj Pyaarey did not mention to wash kes everyday. So I never knew one must wash it untill later. I use to live in a place where the local Gurdwara had Amrit Vela Naam Simran everyday. After discovering that Kes must be washed I never knew how one can wash the kes and then go to the Darbar Sahib. Sometimes I would go with dry kes and then wash the kes as soon as I came back home. Othertimes I would go there with wet kes and wear dastar like a chunni. Sometimes I would tie my kes in the dastar even though it was wet.
I never liked going to the Darbar Sahib with a chunni, because Guru Jis parkash was seperate from the sangat and I liked to Matha Tekh before meeting the sangat. So really all methods seemed odd to me. Sometimes I would wake up a little more early do Nitnem let my Kes dry and then go to the Darbar Sahib.
April 23, 2010 04:53PM

Wah Khalse De Bolle; Singhs do not call Hair Drying; they say "Kes Haare Karna". What should we call in english? Refreshing? confused smiley

Hehe!! Ofcourse, Singh apane kesha nu harre karde hunde neh. I used the term "dry" for the benifit of all readers.
MB Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wah Khalse De Bolle; Singhs do not call Hair
> Drying; they say "Kes Haare Karna". What should we
> call in english? Refreshing? confused smiley

Oops I meant to say Refresh/rejuvenate instead of dry
Bhai MB Singh jee pointed out correctly that Kesh are done Hare and not dried.

Kulbir Singh
April 23, 2010 06:27PM
Chardi Kala and Gurmat Bibek Budh of our ancestors was so strong that one goes BALIHAAR. The worldly people dry the hair and never feel anything wrong in saying DRYING. Ponds dry. Plants dry. Rivers dry. But Singhs were so sensitive and intelligent that they found this term unfit for KES. Virtually the hair do not dry, because they are still living; not dried up to become dead withered grass. So, Singhs said just opposite of that. HARRE i.e. Green and not DRY i.e. dead.

SINGHAN DAA PANTH NIRALLA.
If you have maharaj at home why can't you do simran in hazoori while hair are being airified? What about bibiya who go to gurdwara with chuniyaa, is this not the same thing?
Veer ji I agree with you then within the confines of your home wearing a chuni style dastar when Kes is wet is ok. But when out in the community Khalsa must always stay instinct. Its never appropriate to go outside in the public with a chunni especially for those Bibiaa. Its ok for Hindus but not Sikhs. Just like its ok for male Muslims and Hindus to go to the darbar sahib with their hats on or monay to go with their rumals on buts it never acceptable for a Guru Ka SIkh to go on with such head wear.

There is a rehatnama by Bhai Nand Lal Ji that states if a person goes to the Gurdwara with a hat on they will be reborn multiple times. Thus we must always remain distinct when going out publically to the Darbar Sahib. Had I contemplated this before I definently would have never went to the Gurdwara with a chunni on. It feels extremely strange to wear a chunni amongst the sangat I did not get much laha the two times I went to the Darbar Sahib with a chunni on.
April 24, 2010 09:49PM
when a sangat sleeps at gurdwara sahib, like during samagams, it's common to allow the kes to dry while in sangat together. we simply do prakash of maharaj after simran and nitnem. the same procedure is followed at gurmat naam abhiyaas camp in amritsar sahib... only singhs come from their home with wet kes and do simran in sangat while it dries. after nitnem, then prakash is done.
Yes perhaps its acceptable as long as Maharaj Jis parkash has not been done and the majority of sangat are Amritdhari. When I use to go to the Gurdwara there were a few monay so I dont it was acceptable in this case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login