ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

education on the golden temple

Posted by kapura 
education on the golden temple
September 09, 2015 01:06AM
Hello All!
I hope I am asking this in the right place. I am putting myself out there in hopes to find your opinion& help. I will be traveling from the USA to India this month...and am quickly coming upon my departure date--but I feel very unprepared. My inspiration for traveling to India has been to make my way to the Golden Temple. I hope to find a guide that will be able to help me get the most understanding I can from my trip, but I would also like to do as much foot work as I can before I leave. Does you have any suggestions on books/documentaries/etc. that could better help me understand the history of The Golden Temple? I hope to spend my time there trying to find answers to the harder questions...rather than having to catch up to knowing the basics of the historical impact, local customs, symbolism, etc.
Any information or ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all for your time.
-Mary
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Hello Mary,

For your trip I'd highly recommend getting a copy of the following book: Walking with the Gurus : Historical Gurdwaras of the Punjab

This book is a guidebook mainly centred on the Harmandar Sahib (Golden Temple) but also includes information on other historical Gurdwaras in the Punjab. The book also contains advice for travellers and useful contact numbers.

A .pdf of a small tract produced on the Harmandar Sahib can be found here: The Golden Temple

A beautiful 'coffee table' book on the history of the Harmandar Sahib with lots of historical photos and pictures is also available : The Golden Temple of Amritsar : Reflections on the Past (1808-1959)
Hi Mary,

I forgot to include a link to a documentary available on Youtube: Revealed : The Golden Temple
Re: education on the golden temple
September 10, 2015 09:34AM
Youtube has so many informational videos about "Harminder sahib Ji".
I would say while you are there let your feelings and heart works..Put mind and brain for aside. You can come back and know about it from internet.
Sit and listen to the spiritual prayers "Kirtan".
I wish you have an amazing experince over there.
smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login