ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bairagan needed

Posted by PSD 
Bairagan needed
August 19, 2015 07:01AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Please could some tell me where I could a get bairagan from, either online or elsewhere.

[www.flickr.com]

See the link attached for what a bairagan looks like. It used for simian/meditation as an armrest.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Bairagan needed
August 19, 2015 10:15AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Functionally, you can get away with two pieces of wood joined together at an intersection to make a T (as long as it is customized to your height, should work). Can be made yourself.

Otherwise, if you want the fancier look that is in the picture you reference, you can go to your local hardware store and see if they have premade legs for tables for the vertical piece (and many come with a threaded bolt stuck in them) and attach a horizontal flat piece to it after having placed a threaded insert in it (allows for the threaded bolt in the vertical piece to thread through the horizontal piece.

[www.homedepot.com] - vertical piece. Horizontal piece would be any sturdy good piece of wood.

[www.homedepot.com] - could use a table plate attached to the horizontal piece to accept the vertical piece if centered. Would make bairagan something you can disassemble.

Some ideas. Just FYI - you can use the table plate, premade legs and a flat precut board to assemble a Manji Sahib very fast as well (apart from the sanding, painting and other steps to make it look good).
August 19, 2015 04:30PM
Seen photos of Sants of old use them but what is it's purpose. Is it so someone does not fall whilst doing hours of Bhagti?
August 20, 2015 08:54AM
I think If you are doing Bhagati for longer hours, say doing Naam Abhiyaas for 14-16 hours a day in one sitting then it is really helpful to support upper body to stay upright.
August 20, 2015 09:37AM
PSD Jeo,

1. The "T shaped" Bai'raagan is typically & ideally should be custom made. Ideally its used by older abhiyaasis or sadhus to sit in prolonged period of meditation with the spine straight. Younger ones should be able to straighten up their spines by themselves or automatically happens surtee is deep

2.Custom in the sense that before being made,

i) the height of the bai'raagan's leg needs to be of the same height with your spine's height while in samadhi position.

ii)the height of the individual's spine sitting up straight needs to be measured while sitting(with spine straight) from the bottom of one's spine and to armpit level.

3. Many abhiyaasis have got their bairaagan made from Bhai Inderjeet Singh keerpana wale(Amritsar) - with proper woodwork/ artwork design . Yes, besides shasters he makes these too, as I have seen it myself and the approach to make these was informed by Bhai Sahib jee too. You can get it made from him, InshaAllah

4. Ideally tools used in aiding Naam roopi seva of SatGuroo should be avoided from public usage/view. Not to attract any unnecessary attention or to not induce subtle houmei start affecting our sincerity in serving SatGuroo(through Naam).

Khayr.....My input is as foolish as myself. SatGuroo Jeo knows better

Chota veer
August 21, 2015 06:29AM
Thank you for your responses.

VJKKKVJKF
August 21, 2015 05:01PM
Inshallah? I get angry looks by Caucasians, even in Singapore little India by ignorant Caucasians, as I walk just outside Gurduaras, so I would appeal to please exercise caution in using Muslim religious terms on public Sikhi forums jio.
bhul chuk muaf_/\_
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login