ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sarbloh utensils turning food black

Posted by Iqbal Singh 
My Dear Fellow Gursikhs

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh.

I have recently started using SarbLoh utensils. However, i have seen an unusual thing happening. Whenever i put food in my plate, while i finish my Daal, the bowl in which it is placed turns black. Another observation: I was heating my Daal in my new SarbLoh frying pan(properly cleansed the way i do my other steel utensils), and while it was heating, the color of Daal started to turn black, and in no time it was really looking darker. I had to stop cooking in it. For the time being, i have turned back to steel utensils. If you are a frequent user of SarbLoh utensils, please shed some light on this. Do you experience similar things? Is this normal?

Bhul chuk Maaf.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This is the great property of Sarabloh (tat of it) to be disolved in food being cooked or eaten from it.

Smell and taste of Sarabloh is rich if the utensils are made of raw iron pallets not from recycled iron.

There is nothing wrong if you see Daal is being turning black while cooking. Infact Sarabloh is functioning.
Another query:

When i saw SarabLoh utensils turning food black, some people were telling me that your utensils are of low quality Iron, thatswhy this is happening. Can this be true? Are there SarabLohs of different quality? But SarabLoh is a Metal, right, so, how can the quality differ? And if this is true, how can i verify if i am really having a quality issue, and what can i do about it? I know from some study on SarabLoh and the above answer, that SarabLoh is an amazing element, thatswhy its use is encouraged in The Gurmat Rehat Maryada, but having just started using SarabLoh utensils, i want to learn from the experience of others who have been using SarabLoh utensils for a long time.

Please also give me some advice on cleaning SarabLoh utensils. Currently, after some reading online, i am using hot water and lemons and normal liquid dishwash, and dip my sarabloh utensils in them for some hours. After that i apply refined oil to utensils.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
Iqbal Singh ji- Frequently using lemon or other acids to clean utensils would not let the metal to stabilize (I don't even know if that's the right word, but hope I can get the point across).

After using an acid, the metal is more prone to react (even with air).

So, suggest that utensils are scrubbed with a stone, or a rough scrubber + soap. Finally, 'ret and buraada' (what do you call them in English?- sand and sawdust) are excellent for cleaning these utensils.

I'm not saying that sarabloh utensils should not be squeeky clean- but I usually get little time to shine-clean my utensils. Even then, food usually never turn black.
--

Jasjit Singh ji/Iqbal Singh ji- I think ideally food should not turn black. I would usually cover the utensil with a heavy lid, or rest some weight on the lid to create pressure inside the utensil (pateela).

There are some foods which do turn black- black chhole, green chholia, aavla. I think all these foods are iron-rich. 'Ferrous foods', if that's a reasonable term to use, have propensity to turn black-- Naturally.
Veer Ji

That is exactly my point. When i bought these SarabLoh utensils, i scrubbed them with soap and rough scrubber for quite a lot of time, because they were looking pretty rusty. I also did the same to my SarabLoh Frying pan, but still my Daal was turning black on heating it in SarabLoh frying pan. And the pan doesn't even look rusty at all, it looks pretty clean from the inside. Similarly, in a matter of a few minutes, my plate's kauli for Daal also turns a little black at some places, till i finish my food.This is what is worrying me about these utensils. Is there some problem with these utensils? What can i do to verify and correct it? Any suggestions?

I brought them from a Gursikh(S. Arvinder Singh Khalsa) who manufactures SarabLoh utensils at home in New Delhi, India, and belongs to LohGarh

I need some guidance on how to verify the quality of metal used to prepare these SarabLoh utensils. Any other good place to buy SarabLoh utensils in New Delhi? maybe i should try to buy from other place and see the difference.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Food turns black in Sarbloh - I think that is a given and a direct indicator that there is Sarbloh in the food. Along with that is a metallic taste that changes the food taste you are consuming (not a bad thing, but different from what those who are not used to eating in Sarbloh) - because there is Sarbloh in the food. If you use lemons, tomatoes or other acidic ingredients in the food, that will draw more Sarbloh into the food (recommended for those suffering from anemia). Degh made per Maryada in Sarbloh wil be darker because of Sarbloh. All of this is especially true if the Daal or Sabzi being made is a dark one if cooked in non Sarbloh to begin with.

If you were not getting darker foods as a result from cooking in Sarbloh, it means there is a coating or other alteration of your "Sarbloh" cookware that is preventing infusion of Sarbloh into the food, which would defeat the purpose of cooking in Sarbloh to begin with.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Being someone who has never used SarabLoh utensils before, i was pretty scared when i saw food turning black in them, and turning them black as well. But from all the above assurances that its not a bad thing, I feel motivated to start using SarabLoh utensils everyday as per maryada. Thanks to everyone above who spared time to share their valuable experience of using SarabLoh. I hope this thread will serve as a great source of information on the properties of SarabLoh utensils, and tips on cleaning and maintaining them for anyone seeking some information online in the future.
ms514 ji
I think if you squeeze a lemon directly in sarabloh, the result would be a reaction and the substance is certainly not edible. The longer you keep lemon, even if in water, the worse it is to drink.

Most foods should not turn black. Yes, a slightly darker tinge, a slightly pungent aroma is the stamp of food cooked in Sarabloh.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Jio, the addition of acidic ingredients would be added into the already cooking food, not as the first or primary ingredient. In that case, you would be cleaning the Sarbloh cookware, not making something edible.
VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaVahegurooJeeKeeFatehe!

Veerjee I have gotten bhaandey from Lohgarh as well in the past and never had any problem with them. Most things for me turned black, when I cooked them with a lid. But I have also noticed that the more you use the bhaandey the less they tend to blacken your food. Also to wash bhaandey just put one teaspoon of citric acid in your normal size dish soap bottle and mix it. Use a steel wool to clean and immediately dry with a thick towel, better a microfiber towel if available.

Anokh Kaur
WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

My dear sister, I was actually seeking someone who could second LohGarh for me, and the fact that things do turn black in these utensils. After reading your experience, I'm going to stick to these LohGarh utensils. Hopefully, i'll get used to them over time.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
Dear Harshwinder Singh

The above image you have posted is not visible. There's some issue with the forum. I see the link of the image as [url], which makes no sense. Thatswhy the image is not visible.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login