ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wearing two Kirpaans

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Wearing two Kirpaans
March 23, 2015 06:38AM
Khalsa Ji, can anyone provide any historical and practical reasons for wearing two kirpaans (one smaller one and a larger one). Does anyone have any Rehitnamay or quotes that can help to support this in order to help explain to someone. Thanks.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

With Guru's Kirpa from what i have learnt and read, is that a sikh should always be equiped with weapons (as many as possible). Satguru Gobind Singh Ji has stated that he shall be happy with that sikh who follows this hukams.

ਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਤਾਪ ਸੂਰਜ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ – ਰੁਤ ੩, ਅਧਿਾਇ ੨੩

Gurpratap Suraj Prakash Granth – Rut 3, Chapter 23ਯਾਂਤੇ ਸਰਬ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਸੁਨੀਅਹਿ । ਆਯੁਧ ਧਰਿਬੇ ਉਤੱਮ ਗੁਨੀਅਹਿ ।

The Guru then said to his Sikhs, “All of the Khalsa should listen [to this directive], carrying weapons is the highest action.

ਜਬਿ ਹਮਰੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕੋ ਆਵਹੁ । ਬਨਿ ਸੁਚੇਤ ਤਨ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਸਜਾਵਹੁ ।।੭।।

When you come to have my Darshan, adorn your body with weapons.ਕਮਰ ਕਸਾ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਹੁ ਦਿਖਾਈ । ਹਮਰੀ ਖੁਸ਼ੀ ਹੋਇ ਅਧਿਕਾਈ ।

When showing yourself to me have your Kamar Kasa [waist band which holds weapons] tied, in such a way I shall be extremely happy.

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਕੇਸ ਬਿਨ ਪਾਉ ਲਖਹੁ ਨਰ । ਕੇਸ ਧਰੇ ਤਬਿ ਆਧੋ ਲਖਿ ਉਰ ।।੮।।

Those men who do not have Kesh [unshorn hair] or Shastars [weapons], do not recognize those men as full men. Those who have Kesh[unshorn hair], recognize those as half-men.

ਕੇਸ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਜਬਿ ਦੋਨਹੁਂ ਧਾਰੇ । ਤਬਿ ਨਰੁ ਰੂਪ ਹੋਤਿ ਹੈ ਸਾਰੇ ।

Those who have adorned themselves with Kesh [unshorn hair] and Shastar [weapons], those men have attained their full form.”

ਅਸ ਉਪਦੇਸ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੇ ਸੁਨਿ ਕਰਿ । ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਪਰਸਤਿ ਆਯੁਧ ਧਰਿ ਧਰਿ ।।੯।।

After listening to this discourse by the Guru, Sikhs would come to the Guru adorning various weapons.

ਸਿੰਘ ਰੂਪ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਨ ਜੁਤਿ ਹੇਰੈਂ । ਹੋਤਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਖੁਸ਼ੀ ਬਡੇਰੈ ।

The appearance of a Singh [is complete] with weapons, when the Guru see’s this He becomes extremely happy.

ਕਮਰ ਕਸੇ ਬਿਨ ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਜਾਇ । ਤਿਸ ਪਰ ਰੁਖ ਨਹਿ ਕਰੈਂ ਕਦਾਇ ।।੧੦।।

Those Sikhs who went towards the Guru without wearing a Kamarkasa [waist band which holds weapons], the Guru would never look towards them.

So in fact a sikh should be adorned with weapons.

[sikhunity.wordpress.com]

Sorry for any mistakes and any ignorance that i have shown.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Inderpal Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login