Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

what is the diet of naam abhiaysi please give detail
and is eating 6 rotis too much for a abhiaysi
and how much water should one drink

Kabir Kukar Raam Ko Mutia Mero Nao
Gale Hamare Jayvri Jeh Khinchey Teh Jao
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
There is no special diet. Just common sense. It should be vegetarian. Other than this the diet would depend upon the prakirti of the person's mind and body. Anything which digests well and does not produce acidity, gas, bloating, sleepiness is okay. Anything which produces heaviness and constipation should also be avoided. Food should be eaten not for pleasure but for proper health and living.

If you are young and digestion is strong and then 6 rotis is may not be too much. But in later life 6 rotis would be harmful for health. In fact even in young life it is better to have more of fibrous vegetables(gaajar, matar, gobhi, pata gobhi, broccolli, mooli etc) and less of grains.

Water should be had in required quantity. Have a little with meals to make the meals settle in stomach but not too much because digestive acids need to remain concentrated. After about 2 hours of the meals one can then have more water. This will help the food to remain moist and watery and move forward from stomach into the small intestine. Having water first thing in the morning is a good idea to keep the digestive tract clean and to help relieve constipation.
Re: Diet of naam abhyiasi?
March 03, 2015 04:17AM
I remember being admitted to a hospital few years ago here in west. Doctor came to see me and asked what I eat. I gave him idea of my diet and said vegetarian diet with lentis, veg and chapatis.. About 8 chapatis... He said 8 chapatis in a week is not bad.

I replied its not a week but in one day spinning smiley sticking its tongue out and his mouth was left open >grinning smiley<

In India diet of families is like 2 oily paraanthe in mornng, followed by lunch with 4 rotian and 3-4 for dinner

but I realised diet should include other items like cereals (wheat dalia or porridge) and also salad and other items to keep it balanced. Key is to have everything in moderation and without too many spices.. Bibeki food in sarabloh and you are all set from a diet perspective.
Bhai Gurdas Ji Says ""Hau tis ghol ghumayaa thoda savae thoda hi khavae"

So according to Gurmat we should eat little and sleep little.. Eating little is directly relating to sleeping little. We have seen and tried this practical as well that if we eat a lot we need good amount of sleep. Gurmat has related food only to survive and not the aim of life.

Coming to Drinking of water - I have heard from Gurmukhs that drinking good amount of water before going to bed is a good practice for a new naam abhiyasi.

So the number of Parshaadas may differ from Body to Body but if we follow what Bhai Gurdas ji says then I think it would be good for our life.
Bhula chukaa di Maafi

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
March 03, 2015 06:01PM
so how much is thora and how much is jada ?
March 05, 2015 02:27PM
There's a concept of inferior/superior goods in economics which I feel is relevant here re: thoda, zada.

E.g. to elucidate: A sedan maybe a luxury/superior good for a middle class. It would be an inferior good for a billionaire.

Similarly, if I'm a 18 year old-- I might easily eat 10 parshaade, 250 g ghyo, half litre milk, curd, sweets, cereals, lentils and much more. My weight may still remain constant. I may still feel light as a feather. I would have the luxury of investing in my body-- I would make it strong. A 40 year old would have the luxury of eating much lesser and still go great. That's because he has invested in his body in his youth.
March 05, 2015 02:38PM
If I realize and understand the kind/quantity of diet that best supports/doesn't hinder my naam/baani-- I should never leave it whatever people may say. But eating sufficiently is important for a sustainable naam/bani routine. That's what I am learning.
March 05, 2015 07:17PM
What about bani saying about eating less Ann Pani thora khayia in asa di vaar
Alap ahar sulp si nidra in shabad hajare p.10
And many other places
Also I have heard some singhs,mahapuraks eating 1 or 2 parshada a day
What this Daas understands is that 'Alap Ahaar' and 'Thoda Khana' is subject to one's lifestyle.

If one works as a labourer, it is obvious that he will be eating 20 parshadaas a day!

Whereas if one's work requires sitting all day on a computer, his eating requirements will be considerably less.

It is just that one should eat as required, otherwise : ਫਿਟੁ ਇਟੇਹਾ ਜੀਵਿਆ ਜਿਤੁ ਖਾਇ ਵਧਾਇਆ ਪੇਟੁ ||
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login