ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jaap Sahib ji discussion

Posted by mssanga 
Jaap Sahib ji discussion
January 27, 2015 02:49AM
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Please help me with deeper understanding of Jaap Sahib ji. I will keep asking questions as I go through Jaap Sahib ji. Please answer in English if possible. Thank you in advance.

Original text:
ਤ੍ਵ ਸਰਬ ਨਾਮ ਕਥੈ ਕਵਨ ਕਰਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਰਨਤ ਸੁਮਤ॥੧॥ (Dasham Granth Ang 2, line 1)
All Your Names cannot be told. One does impart Your Action-Name with pure heart.1.

Question: What is Action-Name ਕਰਮ ਨਾਮ ? Never heard of this term before in SGGSji.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
VJKK VJKF,

Karam-Naam refers to the names of Akaal Purukh given as per his actions; ਉਹ ਨਾਮ ਜੋ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਕੰਮ ਵੇਖ ਕੇ ਬਣਾਏ ਗਏ ਹਨ ।

These Karam Naam's form the basis of Sri Jaap Sahib. For example, from the first Pauri of the second Chand, the Karam Naams of Vaheguru are: ਅਕਾਲੇ, ਕਿ੍ਪਾਲੇ, ਅਰੂਪੇ, ਅਨੂਪੇ ।
Re: Jaap Sahib ji discussion
January 27, 2015 12:35PM
Khalsa ji, Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank you for the explanation. I do not have much understanding of Gurbani but your answer is quite appealing to me. Please help me further with the correct meaning of the following from Ang 2 of Dasham Granth ji:

ਅਭੇਖੇ
ਅਗੰਜੇ
ਅਭੰਜੇ
ਅਠਾਮੇ
ਅਭੀਤੇ
ਅਭੀਤੇ

I looked at their meaning on searchgurbani.com but they did not sound right to me. For instance according to them ਅਭੀਤੇ means fearless; then does ਭੀਤੇ means fear?? Punjabi is my mother tongue but I never heard word ਭੀਤੇ or ਭੀਤ. What language is this word from? On the other hand in Salok Mahala 9th ਭੀਤ means something else (Saloka 37 and 49).
VJKK VJKF

Your best bet would be to go through a steek of Sri Jaap Sahib. I'd recommend the Punjabi Steek by Prof. Sahib Singh which you can download from here: Sri Jaap Sahib Steek, Prof.Sahib Singh (Sikhbookclub)

Regarding the language of Sri Jaap Sahib you have to remember that many of the words are Sanskrit words which can have multiple meanings, as well as Arabic and Farsi words.

From Prof. Sahib Singh's Steek:

ਅਭੀਤੇ = ਅ + ਭੀਤੇ । ਭੀਤ - ਡਰਿਆ ਹੋੲਿਆ । ਭੀ - ਡਰਨਾ

Here the root word ਭੀ is from Sanskrit, see here : Bhi, from Sanskrit Dictionary.
Re: Jaap Sahib ji discussion
January 28, 2015 11:13AM
Khalsa ji, Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank you for providing priceless resources.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login