ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Do you believe Guru Nanak was a Messenger like the Prophet....?"

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Muslims often ask, "Do you believe Guru Nanak was God or a Messenger or what?" The intention of the question often is to find an opportunity to undermine and attack the belief. In such a situation how would explain who Guru Nanak Dev Ji was?

Also when someone says, "So you believe Guru Nanak was God on earth, like Christians believe Jesus was God on earth?"
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Vir Singh has written an article on this subject. It should answer all the related questions. I will try to find it and email it to you.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Lots of questions you are getting...winking smiley

I would go on the offensive and first say, "What's it to you" and "How do you know that the Prophet Muhammed/Jesus etc. was a messenger of God?"

The thing is, you have to either be prepared to take an hour or more of your time to argue with someone who has an agenda OR you shut them out at the outset. In your role as a parcharik, you may have to opt for the first option of engagement, but understand that they will put into suspicion every belief and verse you quote and doubt its credibility. You HAVE no choice but to either walk away or engage in full out debate, which is draining physically, mentally and spiritually.

Perhaps the answer is best put, "Whatever answer I will give you will not satisfy you as you only see your Prophet or Savior are the One. I wish you the best of luck in the pursuit of your faith and I will continue to follow mine as my Guru has prescribed for me" and walk away.
Manvir Singh ji, shut them out at the very outset, do not try to convince them or win them in an argument. They have a set agenda and a fixed mind-set. One idea is simply say, "Please, I do not want to discuss religious issues, you follow your path and I shall follow mine".
I had an Indian friend in college. He used to say "If anyone ever bugs you beyond tolerance and repeatedly asks proof about something, just ask him if he himself is definite about the old man who he calls Dad is indeed his biological father".
ਕਰਤੇ ਕੀ ਮਿਤਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੈ ਜਾਣੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੂਰਾ ॥੩॥

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Guru Nanak was much more than a messenger.
He was a physical form of the Truth itself.
ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਇ ॥੪॥੭॥੯॥

Gur Nānak Nānak har so▫e. ||4||7||9||

Nanak is the Guru; Nanak is the Lord Himself. ||4||7||9||
I came across someone who said that there was difference between Guru Nanak ji, Guru Gobind Singh ji and the rest of the gurus.
They said that the rest of the gurus became enlightened with seva and devotion to their master/teacher guru, whereas Guru Nanak ji and Guru Gobind Singh ji were Born Enlightened.....hence why we acknowledge that Guru Gobind Singh ji even knew about his previous life....

Guru Nanak ji,came as the sargun saroop of nirankar himself....Nanak- Nirgun- Nirankar
ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਭਈ ਸਗਲੇ ਜੁਗ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੪॥੧੧॥

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਪੇਖਿਆ ਸੇ ਫਿਰਿ ਗਰਭਾਸਿ ਨ ਪਰਿਆ ਰੇ ॥੪॥੨॥੧੩॥

ਅਟਲ ਬਚਨੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਤੇਰਾ ਸਫਲ ਕਰੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਧਾਰਿਆ ॥੨॥੨੧॥੪੯॥

ਜਿਸੁ ਘਰਿ ਵਿਰਤੀ ਸੋਈ ਜਾਣੈ ਜਗਤ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਪੂਛਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥

ਸਭ ਤੇ ਵਡਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਲ ਰਾਖੀ ਮੇਰੀ ॥੪॥੧੦॥੫੭॥

ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਭੰਨਣ ਘੜਣ ਸਮਰਥੁ ॥

ਬੋਹਿਥੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਉ ਗੁਰੁ ਜਿਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਚੜਾਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਉਜਲੁ ਤਰਣਾ ॥੨੨॥
बोहिथु नानक देउ गुरु जिसु हरि चड़ाए तिसु भउजलु तरणा ॥२२॥
Bohith Nānak ḏe▫o gur jis har cẖaṛā▫e ṯis bẖa▫ojal ṯarṇā. ||22||
Whoever the Lord places on the boat of Guru Nanak, is carried across the terrifying world-ocean. ||22||

ਕੀਰਤਨ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਨਿਤ ਪੁੰਨ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨਿ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਲਹੀ ॥
कीरतन पुराण नित पुंन होवहि गुर बचनि नानकि हरि भगति लही ॥
Kīrṯan purāṇ niṯ punn hovėh gur bacẖan Nānak har bẖagaṯ lahī.
The Puraanas continually praise the giving of charity, but devotional worship of the Lord is only obtained through the Word of Guru Nanak.

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਬਸੈ ਬਨਵਾਰੀ ॥

ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਵ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਰੂਪ ॥੮॥੧॥
गुर नानक देव गोविंद रूप ॥८॥१॥
Gur Nānak ḏev govinḏ rūp. ||8||1||
Guru Nanak Dayv is the Embodiment of the Lord of the Universe. ||8||1||

There are four castes, four social classes, and four stages of life. Whoever meets the Guru, Guru Nanak, is himself carried across, and he carries all his ancestors and generations across as well. ||2||5||11||
Guru Ram Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

ਜੋਤਿ ਰੂਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਆਪਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਹਾਯਉ ॥
जोति रूपि हरि आपि गुरू नानकु कहायउ ॥
Joṯ rūp har āp gurū Nānak kahā▫ya▫o.
The Embodiment of Light, the Lord Himself is called Guru Nanak.
What can we say about Guru Nanak Dev jee:

ਜਨ ਤ੍ਰਾਹਿ ਤ੍ਰਾਹਿ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਰਖਵਾਲੇ ਰਾਮ ॥੩॥
Jan ṯarāhi ṯarāhi sarṇāgaṯī merī jinḏuṛī▫e gur Nānak har rakẖvāle rām. ||3||
The Lord's humble servants beseech and implore Him, and enter His Sanctuary, O my soul; Guru Nanak becomes their Divine Protector. ||3||

DHAN DHAN GURU NANAK DEV JEE.....
Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji tells us about God. We believe what Guru Sahib tells us. In the absence of that, we know nothing about God. I repeat, I know nothing about God. I do not know whether He was massenger or God Himself, but He was my personal God.

May be , I would have answered this question like that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login