ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this true about Jhansi Rani ?

Posted by sikh.learner 
[www.youtube.com]

Giani Sher Singh Jee says that Jhansi Rani sold her riyaasat to the Britishers and died by falling from her horse. Is this true ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I don't know about how she died but from what I have read so far is that the fight of 1857 was no where a fight of independence. It was the fight for their individual interest and even Rani of Jhansi wanted her son to be given the throne and that was the sole focus and not the independence. Dr. Ganda Singh and many other scholors have done enormous research of that time.
The valiant Rani Jhansi had not sold her kingdom to the British but the East India Company annexed it under the doctrine of lapse set by Dalhousie who was a very shrewd and cunning British governor general of India at that time. This same Dalhousie also played very evil games with Khalsa Lahore Darbar and annexed it. The British refused to accept the adopted son of husband of Jhansi as the heir and annexed her kingdom. At first she tried to negotiate with the British peacefully but later on when the 1957 mutiny broke out, she joined the legendary rebel Tatya Tope but in the end she died a martyr's death. She could have refused to join the rebels and lived off a handsome pension but she chose to side with the rebels led by Tatya Tope.

I don't think she died falling off from her horse. She was de-horsed when her horse was shot down. She died by a gun wound as well as sword cuts. She did not wanted her body to be touched by the British; therefore she requested her sympathizers to cremate it before the arrival of the British soldiers.

She was a very noble lady of high character and she was extremely valiant. There are very few examples of women from that era who fought bravely like men.

A very good read about the times of mutiny is a book by a Maratha traveler who had gone to pilgrimages in Kashi but got stuck in the mutiny. I can't remember the name of the book which was originally written in Marathi but I read a Hindi translation of it. He stayed in Jhansi for many months, before it was annexed and has written in quite detail about Jhansi and the Rani Sahiba herself. She was a very noble and pious woman with a very big heart.

Kulbir Singh
Veer Kulbir Singh Jee,
Thanks for your reply.

With all due respect to Jhansi Rani, I want to know whether a non-gurmukh(manmukh) achieve Gurmat Martyrdom or not ?
Can you please explain Gurmat Martyrdom?
What should be the state of mind at the time of achieving Gurmat Martyrdom ?
Can that state of mind be achieved without Gurmat Bhagti ?
What is the difference Gurmat Martyrdom and a death due to brave fighting ?

With all due respect to Jhansi Rani, I want to know whether a non-gurmukh(manmukh) achieve Gurmat Martyrdom or not ?

No a non-Sikh can't attain Gurmat martyrdom.

Can you please explain Gurmat Martyrdom?

When a Sikh sacrifices his or her life for the sake of Gurmat or Panth, it qualifies as a Gurmat martyrdom.

What should be the state of mind at the time of achieving Gurmat Martyrdom ?

To achieve full Gurmat martyrdom, definitely Naam is the only thought that should be in the mind. Such martyrdom earns the Gurmukh place in Gurpuri.

Can that state of mind be achieved without Gurmat Bhagti ?

Place in Gurpuri can't be achieved without Gurmat Bhagti.

What is the difference Gurmat Martyrdom and a death due to brave fighting ?

Gurmat martyrdom earns one right in Gurpuri whereas brave fighting death for a noble cause earns one enormous good Karma which can lead to a good place in the next world or an enhanced opportunity to elevate spiritually in the next human life form.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh
When a Sikh sacrifices his or her life for the sake of Gurmat or Panth, it qualifies as a Gurmat martyrdom.

Veer jee,
If a completely rehitvaan Gursikh dies while bravely fighting the dusht people who are trying to rape a girl, can that be counted as a Gurmat Martyrdon?

If a completely rehitvaan Gursikh serves in the army of a country that has a large population of non-sikhs(like India) and dies bravely fighting during a war, can that be called Gurmat Martyrdom ?

Thanks
A good account of Indian Mutiny (especially the role of Rani Jhansi and other leaders and their intentions) is given here [www.archive.org]

Rani of Jhansi was brave and of high character but the mutiny was not for independence.

Also RC Mazoomdar wrote decent material about the same.
[www.panthic.org]

In this mutiny, the name of Rani Jhansi (Queen of Jhansi) is always discussed. Ignorant scholars give her credits for something she never did. There is not a single proof in existence that shows whether the Queen fought for freedom of the country or joined the mutiny on purpose.

Lakhshami Bayee, or Rani Jhansee, had no child of her own. Her husband was a characterless type of person who was responsible for his own death. Lakhshami Bayee wanted her adopted child, Damodar Rao, to become the next king however, the British were not happy with their misdeeds and refused to recognize her adopted child as the heir to the throne. She then wrote a letter to the British asking for a payment of one million rupee per year for her kingdom but the British did not agree. When that did not work, she asked for two hundred thousand but again the British refused. The only choice left for her was to fight and die. Her struggle was only for her own kingdom.

According to Dr. R. C. Maujumdar, 'After her unsuccessful efforts to appoint her adopted son as the next king, she started living her life as a Hindu widower wearing white clothes and spent much of her time in worship. All British scholars agree that neither had she planned anything for the freedom fight nor did she have any intentions of joining the mutiny in the first place.'

The rebels surrounded the Queen's palace. The queen informed the British that she had been insulted and mistreated by them and asked for help. Instead of helping her, the British blamed her for helping the rebels. Still, she remained loyal to the British.

Dr. Surinder Nath writes, 'Captain Gorden wrote to the queen asking for help.' In reply the queen wrote, 'What can I do? I am surrounded by the rebels. I have sent some guns and my army men for your help.'

According to Dr. G. W. Forrest, 'Queen Lakhashmee Bai secretly sent 50-60 guns, and 50 army men along with other weaponry.'

Dr. J. K. Kirapalani sums it up very well by saying, 'It was nothing but an attempt by the old order to get back their kingdoms.'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login