ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bhatt Vehis & Blue Keski

Posted by Singh. 
Bhatt Vehis & Blue Keski
April 21, 2010 04:41AM
In the eyewitness account of 1699 Vaisaki, by the Bhatts, it is clearly written that Guru Sahib gave us the Panj Kakkars, which includes the Blue Keski.

Now, most people I know that believe in keski as kakkar wear a Kesri coloured Keski as opposed to a Blue one. Why is this? I know u could say traditionally people have worn kesri keski, but traditionally people have done larr in the back of the Pagh etc. Nihang Singhs are seen wearing a Blue Keski, but what about other Singhs, i.e. Jathey dey Singh.

It seems clear to me that those singhs believing in keski quote from the Bhatt Vehis, but do not themselves follow the rehat of BLUE keski. Perhaps the Keski tied into the kesh should be Blue? But not all Singhs wear Keski tied into kesh.

Input on this would be helpful.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This is definitely something that should be pondered upon. The same source that says that Keski is the Kakaar also says that Blue Keski should be worn underneath.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee on the other hand has written that Basanti Keski and Surmai (Navy Blue) Dastaar is the best combination. Please note that Bhai Sahib did not say that one can't wear other acceptable colours for Keski and Dastaar. He just says that Basanti Keski and Surmai Dastaar is the utmost combination for Khalsa. Some Gursikhs keep Blue Keski in the joora and wear Basanti Keski overneath and Surmai Dastaar on top of that. Perhaps this is what we should do. I personally too am thinking keenly on this subject because till now I almost always wear Basanti Keski and Surmai Dastaar.

Kulbir Singh
Re: Bhatt Vehis & Blue Keski
April 21, 2010 08:07AM
interesting

All nihang singhs always say the keski should be blue.

I always wear orange, blue now and again. As long as the keski is a khalsa colour it is fine in my view.

The following stanza from ‘Gur Bilaas Paatshaahee 10′ written by Bhai Kuyer Singh is very often used to support the view that Guru Gobind Singh dressed in blue:-

Joojhat Bhyo Dar Daar Tabai, Jab Yaa Bidh Sahib Nain Nihaare.
Neelan Chol Biraajat Hain, Ar Baaj Suhela Jiga Kal Dhaare.
Neel Jiga Man Neel Lasai Pat, Neel Mani Man Bhookhan Bhaare.
Meghan Ke Jan Jaal Bikhai, Dut Bijj Chhata Sut Shaah Nihaare.

{He started to fight, removing all his fears, upon seeing the ‘Sahib’ (Guru Gobind Singh Ji). He (Guru Gobind Singh Ji) is present dressed in a blue ‘chola’, with a hawk, and a plume in his turban. (He wears) a blue plume. Blue jewel and blue dress is shining. (He is wearing) many ornaments. The son of ‘Shaah’ (Bahadur Shah) is looking. (Guru Ji looks like) a streak of lightening among many clouds}.

It very likely that the underneath keski is blue as well.

Similarly, according to the ‘Gur Bilas Patshaahee 10′ written by Bhai Sukha Singh, King Aurangzeb saw the Khalsa Army in ‘Neelambar’ (blue robes): -

Neelaambar Kutka Kar Dhaare.
It Ut Moh Khalsa Maare
April 21, 2010 10:11AM
veerji, are you talking about the Bhaat vahis collected in Guru Kian Sakhian?

if so, this is interesting, because seems to be the only "rehetnama" which describes panj kakkar as we know them today. it lists them as:
keskee (blue)
kanga
kirpaan
kara (sarbloh)
kachhera (white)

as far as i've read, none of the other historical rehetnamay mention the five k's as we know them.

thanks for pointing this out, i've been wondering about the blue keskee question too. smiling smiley

In the eyewitness account of 1699 Vaisaki, by the Bhatts, it is clearly written that Guru Sahib gave us the Panj Kakkars, which includes the Blue Keski.

The Bhatt Vahees dont mention that 5 kakaars were given. It just states that Guru Sahib gave keski, kangha, karra, kirpan and kachehra. Guru Sahib cannot literally give kesh.

Bhai Jeevan Singh Jee (Bhai Jaita Jee) wrote a Granth in 1705 which is much more authentic that Bhatt Vahees and the granth mentions that the Punj Kakaars include kesh and not keski.
April 21, 2010 10:42AM
do you know the name of that book?

The Bhatt Vahees dont mention that 5 kakaars were given. It just states that Guru Sahib gave keski, kangha, karra, kirpan and kachehra. Guru Sahib cannot literally give kesh.

It clearly mentions the 5 things that Guru Sahib gave us. What other 5 things were given to us, if not Kakaars?

Veer Harinder Singh jee, you very diligently wrote that Guru Sahib cannot literally give Kesh. It makes things even more clear. Just like our arm, our leg, our face, eyes or ears cannot be Kakaars, same way, Kesh which are already part of our body, cannot be Kakaars. Cutting of Hair has already been covered in 4 Bajjar Kurehits.

Kulbir Singh
April 21, 2010 10:55AM
Sadhsangat jeeo, we don't need Keski vs Kesh debate here. It is beyond the scope of this message board. Let us stay focussed on thoughts and ideas that unite us and prompt us to do Paath and Naam jap.

The topic is being closed now.

Admin.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.