ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is kabaddi good for Sikhi ?

Posted by sikh.learner 
Is kabaddi good for Sikhi ?
August 05, 2014 11:27AM
Kabaddi which is Punjab's most popular rural sport has become very popular and a World Kabaddi League is going to start soon.
All I want to know is that is it good for Sikhi? Should sikhs help promote kabaddi ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Kabaddi during the Gurus time was a good thing , but todays Kabaddi environment is a bad thing. Todays Kabaadi has nothing to do with getting fit, instead its all about show and competition between different groups. People get paid and matches are betted on. Many of the players use steroroids. After the games there are partys where meat and alchol are served. Most Sikhs who play in these tournaments are not much into Sikih. The tournaments dont even allow to wear kirpan.
Below is Gurdwara Mal Akhara Sahib in Khadoor Sahib.
The Guru ghar is built on the land where 2nd SatGuroo house once stood.
Wresting among Sikhs in the evening used to be done here by Guru ji himself as a physical exercise. Hence, the place is called "Mal Akhara"

[www.sikhiwiki.org]

The 13 vars were also blessed on Baba Amar Dass jee here.

Chota veer
I have always wondered how would a Sikh wrestle without his joorha becoming undone and kes flowing down. Would that not be be-adbi of kes besides being a trouble and an interruption?
Any inputs?

I have always wondered how would a Sikh wrestle without his joorha becoming undone and kes flowing down. Would that not be be-adbi of kes besides being a trouble and an interruption?

It is next to impossible to wrestle and not have beadbi done to the dastar and kes. During wrestlling many people tackle by grabbing the head of the opponent and putting them in a head lock position and in such a position the possibility of dastar flying to the ground is great. To have the dastar fly on to the ground is major beadb! When the Shia Muslims did this to a Singh during one of their religious celebrations at Sri Amritsar, Akali Phoola Singh Ji became infuriated by this incident. Akali Ji jumped on his horse, pulled out his Sri Sahib and started to kill as many dancing Shiaas present at the celebration. He only stopped after Maharaja Ranjit Singh Ji infuenced him too show some hospitality to these Muslim guest. The point was the British and the Iranian Shiaas did not understand Gurmat values. They thought it was ok to slap their hands around and through the dastar off from a Singhs head, but for Akali Ji such an action was an insult and an invasion on Sikhi.
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is next to impossible to wrestle and not have
> beadbi done to the dastar and kes. During
> wrestlling many people tackle by grabbing the head
> of the opponent and putting them in a head lock
> position and in such a position the possibility of
> dastar flying to the ground is great. To have the
> dastar fly on to the ground is major beadb!

Exactly, that is what I have always believed. Therefore even the first time when I was a kid and I read the sakhi about Guruji watching the wrestlers play, I found it difficult to believe that those wrestlers had kes and joorhe. And even if they had those I have always felt that sikhs cannot take part in those professional games and sports which requires full body contact.

I remember when we were kids we used to get our joorha undone sometimes. But then everybody would stop the game there and then and give the person time to time his joorha again. And this cannot be done in a professional sport. So simply, a sikh cannot take part in such a game/sport in a professional capacity.

I remember what Dara Singh recounted in one of his interviews on TV decades ago. He was a kesdhari before he started wrestling professionally, but when he decided to go into the game seriously he cut his hair. There was no way he could keep his hair and continue the game.

Exactly, that is what I have always believed. Therefore even the first time when I was a kid and I read the sakhi about Guruji watching the wrestlers play, I found it difficult to believe that those wrestlers had kes and joorhe. And even if they had those I have always felt that sikhs cannot take part in those professional games and sports which requires full body contact.

Gursikhs did play kabbadi during Guru Sahibs times. Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji strongly encouraged kabbadi and other physical sports to strenghthen the body. But as previously mentioned it was not the same sport it has common in modern times. Nowadays kabbadi players slap each other across the face when trying to escape or tackle an opponent. I doubt the puratan Gursikhs would do this. Nowadays Keshdari Sikhs who play the sport play with just a tied joorha ( bare headed) or sometimes with a little patka. Both practices are manmat and did not exist during puratan times. Gursikhs can play many sports without causing beadbi to keski/kes. But sometimes people got overly competitive where they are willing to make exceptions to rehat maryda, and this type of behavior should be avoided.
Re: Is kabaddi good for Sikhi ?
August 19, 2014 12:23AM
So guys - summary here is Guru Sahib introduced - wrestling - And Guru Jee, didn't know of the importance of beadbi that would occur to hair and dastar ? clear as mud ? Something is clearly being misinterpeted here. I know singhs who do wrestling where hair never comes loose and kamarkassa done of keski with kanga intact.
ns44 Wrote:
>So guys - summary here is Guru Sahib introduced - wrestling

No. Wrestling is an ancient sport.

> I know singhs who do wrestling
> where hair never comes loose and kamarkassa done
> of keski with kanga intact.

Veerey how is it possible that wrestling be done and kes never come loose? How can you ensure that? Yes its possible that both sides may agree that they shall take every care to keep the dastar intact. Otherwise it cannot be done.

Oh you said kamarkassa of keski ? ਮਤਲਬ ਨੰਗੇ ਸਿਰ ? Well we used to do that when we were children sure, but of course this cannot be gurmat tarikaa, can it? Wrestling with a ਨੰਗਾ ਸਿਰ ?

Even in that case you know some guys have a heavy joorha and some have light. The light joorha stays intact for a longer period, especially if it has a rumaal tied on it. But such is not the case with a heavy joorha.

There is another way to try and ensure longevity of the joorha. Tie a ਗੁੱਤ and then tie a joorha. If there is a ribbon threaded into the gutt, the joorha then can be made to be pretty enduring and stable.

In any case all this can only apply to a casual sport play. You cannot expect professionals of other faiths to stop the game mid-way to give you time to tie your joorha.
NS44,

You are not understanding what I am saying. Yes, Kabbadi was played during Guru Sahiban time, but this type of kabbadi was completely different than todays Kabbadi. Its not so hard to understand this simple thing. In addition, the Kabbadi tournament environment is not a proper place for an Amritdhari Singh. I know I have been in such environments and I know all the manmat which takes place. Players are treated like stock and they are encouraged to eat meat and steroids to boost up. After the game they are then encouraged to drink with the gang. Havent you noticed there are no Singhs playing in these tournaments? Open up an Kabbadi maganize and you wont see any SIngh inside it? By Singh I dont mean the man who shaves his beard and wears a patka like a little boy. When I say Singh I am referring to one who keeps their kakkars and is tyar bar tyar.

I know one Mona who turned into a Kesdhari. He used to attend these tournaments and because of the environment and the crowd he hung with he eventually started to drink and cut his hair. But Gurus kirpa he kept away with this social environment and eventually took amrit. If a couple of Singhs get together and play kabaddi for exercise reasons as Puratan Gursikhs did then I personally dont see harm nor would there be beadi on kes or keski as Singhs no better. But competing in these tournaments can lead to a destructive path. Firstly monay are not going to treat keski and kes with respect, plus there will be compromise in Rehat as Kirpan is not allowed in these tournaments. This is very simple, dont turn it into a complicated issue.
August 26, 2014 12:24PM
Sukhdeep Singh Jeeo ,

I'm so sorry you see my quesiton as complicating the issue - so can you un complicate by explaing how the SIKHS would have done kabaadi and wrestling in Guru Jee's time as Guru Sahib jee had introduced it therefore must have told how sikhs to take care of all the rehat subjectivity you and eyesdynamic talk about here...

Thanks in advace and would really apprecaite your feedback here uncomplicated.smiling smiley
NSS, I have explained in simple terms how todays Kabbai tournaments are completely different then the Kabbadi played during Guru Sahiban time. I will try to make it more simpler one more time after this dont expect another response.

Puratan times- Kabbadi was played for exercise, and as a recreational sport.
Todays time- Kabbadi is a competitive sport where people play for money, and they take steroirds to compete with their opponents.

Puratan times - Kabbadi was played with no compromise on their rehat. For example, Singhs would play Kabbadi and still wear Kakkars. Singhs would not slap another singhs face as the possibility of Dastar flying to the ground would be high.
Todays time- Kakkars such as Kara and Kirpan are banned from being used in tournaments. They are regarded as a safety danger for other players. Players have no respect for one another and slapping each others face for show is common.

Puratan times- After a Kabbadi match Gursikhs would get together and japp bani/naam, and have langar.
Todays time- After match people drink, eat bakra ( goat) and tandori chicken.

In the past , I have been too many tournaments and I never once saw a proper Gursikh playing in these tournaments. Nor have I ever seen them part of the social circle of these after party tournaments. If Gursikhs want to get fit and play kabaddi with one another there is no compromising in rehat, but if they want to compete in these tournaments then there will be a compromise in rehat ; the very basic compromise is panj kakkars.
ns44 Wrote:

> I know singhs who do wrestling
> where hair never comes loose and kamarkassa done
> of keski with kanga intact.

It would be informative to get some details on your claim? Since you know singhs who do this, it won't be difficult for you.
August 27, 2014 02:39PM
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
> NSS, I have explained in simple terms how todays
> Kabbai tournaments are completely different then
> the Kabbadi played during Guru Sahiban time. I
> will try to make it more simpler one more time
> after this dont expect another response.
>
> Puratan times- Kabbadi was played for exercise,
> and as a recreational sport.
> Todays time- Kabbadi is a competitive sport where
> people play for money, and they take steroirds to
> compete with their opponents.
>
> Puratan times - Kabbadi was played with no
> compromise on their rehat. For example, Singhs
> would play Kabbadi and still wear Kakkars. Singhs
> would not slap another singhs face as the
> possibility of Dastar flying to the ground would
> be high.
> Todays time- Kakkars such as Kara and Kirpan are
> banned from being used in tournaments. They are
> regarded as a safety danger for other players.
> Players have no respect for one another and
> slapping each others face for show is common.
>
> Puratan times- After a Kabbadi match Gursikhs
> would get together and japp bani/naam, and have
> langar.
> Todays time- After match people drink, eat bakra
> ( goat) and tandori chicken.
>
> In the past , I have been too many tournaments and
> I never once saw a proper Gursikh playing in these
> tournaments. Nor have I ever seen them part of the
> social circle of these after party tournaments. If
> Gursikhs want to get fit and play kabaddi with one
> another there is no compromising in rehat, but if
> they want to compete in these tournaments then
> there will be a compromise in rehat ; the very
> basic compromise is panj kakkars.

and your source to verify all of the above information or is it just assumption?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login