ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guruduara vs Gurudwara

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
Guruduara vs Gurudwara
July 23, 2014 07:25PM
WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

In Gurbani everywhere it is written GuruDuara but in day to day lives most Sikhs write Gurudwara in English and also the same in Punjabi. I understand that Duar is Punjabi & Dwar is Hindi. I am wondering how did it get changed from Guruduara to Gurudwara in our day to day lives and even in our Punjabi & Gurmat books?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
In Punjabi, mostly the spelling used are same as Gurbani for Gurduara i.e. ਗੁਰਦੁਆਰਾ as opposed to ਗੁਰਦਵਾਰਾ but you are correct in saying that in English, the use of "Gurdwara" is more prevalent. This is similar to the use of "Baisakhi" instead of Visakhi (ਵਿਸਾਖੀ). The word "Baisakhi" is the Hindi or the urban use of this word where as ਵਿਸਾਖੀ is the correct Punjabi word for it.

Kulbir Singh
But even the spelling Gurdwara is not Shud english way to spell ਗੁਰਦਵਾਰਾ, it should be Gurdvara.

It seams very odd to say Gurdvara, even when I read the spelling Gurdwara, I read it as Gurduara because of the w sound.

Pata ni. English is not able to properly represent all of the sounds in Gurmukhi words.

Preetam Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login