ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਮੁੰਦਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਰਮੁ ਪਤੁ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਿਆਨ ਕੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਿਭੂਤਿ

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
In the following pangti
ਮੁੰਦਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਰਮੁ ਪਤੁ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਿਆਨ ਕੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਿਭੂਤਿ

The verb ਕਰਹਿ has been translated in different ways.

Talwara Ji translates the verb as third person ( the Gurukhs do this )
Professor Sahib Singh Ji and Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji translate the verb as second person ( you do this, hukum to the siddhas)
Giani Harbans Singh Ji has translated the verb as a first person as in "I"

Giani Ji says in the conversation that Sri Guru Ji had with siddhas he mentioned how his earnings are santokh and honor ( laaj) is his begging bowl.
My understanding is when a verb has a sihari and haha then it is a second person verb and should have bindi? Plus the pangti all together seems like second person.

Also, all translations I have read do not put bindi on saram but Giani Ji does. Is it saram or sharam? Giani Ji says sharam because siddhas beg shamelessly from door to door and Sri Guru Ji says his begging bowl is his honor .
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The Santhiya file has a bindi at the foot of "sassa", so it's pronounced "sharam"
But Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji spells it as saram and gives the meaning Udham, Mehant ( work, effort)
The pronunciation can be 'sh' in both cases. In hindi the word 'Shram-daan' is often used and it means voluntary labour. Shram means mehnat. Its the same word used as Saram in Gurbani.

Also, all translations I have read do not put bindi on saram but Giani Ji does. Is it saram or sharam? Giani Ji says sharam because siddhas beg shamelessly from door to door and Sri Guru Ji says his begging bowl is his honor .
But Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji spells it as saram and gives the meaning Udham, Mehant ( work, effort)

Whether the word ਸਰਮੁ means Sharam (Lajja) of Farsi background or Shram (Uddam, Mihnat) of Sanskrit background, either way it is pronounced as Sharam. In Sanskrit the word is spelled as श्रम which is Shram in English.

Bhai Sahib is not giving Uchaaran-Sedh i.e. pronunciation guidance for the word Sharam in his writing. The exact wording is:

ਜੋ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਖੱਪਰ ਤੇ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਾਰ ਕੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਬਣੇ ਫਿਰਦੇ ਹੋ, ਇਸ ਦੇ ਥਾਉਂ, ਉਦਮ (ਸਰਮ) ਦਾ ਖੱਪਰ ਅਤੇ ਉਦਮ ਦੀ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਾਰਨ ਕਰੋ।

The ਸਰਮ word is in bracket and is to just show that the word uddam is the meaning of ਸਰਮ and Bhai Sahib is not telling how it should be pronounced.

Professor Sahib Singh Ji and Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji translate the verb as second person ( you do this, hukum to the siddhas)

Bhai Sahib has not used the verb ਕਰਹਿ in second person. The doer of this verb ਕਰਹਿ are third person plural and not in second person. Please have a look at the exact wording from Bhai Sahib's writing:

ਸਚੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਉਹ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠ ਕੇ ਉਦਮ ਧਾਰ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਰੂਪੀ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਸੱਚੀ ਬਿਭੂਤੀ ਸਰੀਰ ਦੇ ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਤੇ ਅੰਗ ਅੰਗ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਫੁਲਤ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਮਲਦੇ ਹਨ।

Gurbani Agam Agaadh Bodh hai jee.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the responses.

Bhai Sahib has not used the verb ਕਰਹਿ in second person. The doer of this verb ਕਰਹਿ are third person plural and not in second person. Please have a look at the exact wording from Bhai Sahib's writing:

ਸਚੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਉਹ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠ ਕੇ ਉਦਮ ਧਾਰ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਰੂਪੀ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਸੱਚੀ ਬਿਭੂਤੀ ਸਰੀਰ ਦੇ ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਤੇ ਅੰਗ ਅੰਗ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਫੁਲਤ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਮਲਦੇ ਹਨ।

In Gurmat Gaurvta , Bhai sahib has translated the following pangti by first addressing the Yogis and telling them what to do.
ਹੇ ਜੋਗੀਓ ! ਜੋ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਖਪਰ ਤੇ ਝੋਲੀ ਦੀ ਧਰਨਾ ਧਰ ਕੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਬਣੇ ਫਿਰਦੇ ਹੋ . ਏਸ ਦੇ ਥਾਓ , ਉਦਮ ( ਸਰਮ) ਦਾ ਖਪਰ ਅਤੇ ਉਦਮ ਦੀ ਝੋਲੀ ਕਰੋ ( pg 16)

which too me the verb seems second person as the Jogis are being addressed to and Sri Guru Ji is giving them hukum on what to do??

The translations of Bhai Shaib , Professor Sahib Singh Ji, and Talwara JI which address the yogi as second person/third person seem more accurate then Giani Harbans SIngh Ji, but according to Giani Harbans Singh Ji the sakhi with the Siddhas Sri Guru Ji is not addressing in these verses; instead, Sri Guru Ji is saying what his earings, begging bowl, and ashes are in the first person. I have read the sakhi and it does seem like in these verses Sri Guru Ji is not addressing the yogis in second person. Instead he is responding to them explaining what path he follows. But how can ਕਰਹਿ be a first person verb as sihari and akhar haha are present.

Also, I was remember someone mentioning that sometimes foreign nouns especially Farsi words have a sihari to indicate to the reader the word is foreign. Why is this principle not initiated for a word like Saram/sharam which is often hard to distinguish between desi or foreign word?

In Gurmat Gaurvta , Bhai sahib has translated the following pangti by first addressing the Yogis and telling them what to do.
ਹੇ ਜੋਗੀਓ ! ਜੋ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਖਪਰ ਤੇ ਝੋਲੀ ਦੀ ਧਰਨਾ ਧਰ ਕੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਬਣੇ ਫਿਰਦੇ ਹੋ . ਏਸ ਦੇ ਥਾਓ , ਉਦਮ ( ਸਰਮ) ਦਾ ਖਪਰ ਅਤੇ ਉਦਮ ਦੀ ਝੋਲੀ ਕਰੋ ( pg 16)

The line that I quoted from Bhai Sahib jee's book is also from the same book and same page. I think Bhai Sahib is not doing Teeka of the Pankitis but is doing a commentary on this Pauri. Commentary is not word by word translation as Bhai Sahib has done in Gurbani diyaan lagaan maatraan dee vilakhanta book. This is why in the line you quoted, it seems like Bhai Sahib is interpreting that verb as second person but in the next line he is interpreting it as plural and third person.

The selected Pauris of Siri Jap jee Sahib are addressed to the Sidhas but whole of Siri Jap jee Sahib is not addressed to them as Sampradayak gianis interpret. The pauri in discussion is surely in written by Siri Guru jee keeping in mind the Sidha's practices.

Rest Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Ji, after further reflection I too agree that the verb should be interpreted as third person even though originally I thought the sakhi between Sri Guru Ji and Gorak Nath it seemed like the verb was a first person verb, but now I think Sri Guru Ji is saying what a true yogi is instead of saying how he practices Gurmat yog.

This is off topic but I was wondering what was the name of the dog who ate Prithi Chands poisonous food. Was it Saram or Sharam. I know the name Moti is popular dog name in Punjab but I have never heard of Sharam/Saram being used for a pet name. Even though its irrelevant and unrelated to Gurmat I would still like to know because everytime I see a dog Im reminded of this character who risked his life for Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji What a great dog!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login