Khas Khas
April 12, 2014 11:09PM
It is a common ingredient in Shardaee.
Is it Okay for AmritDharees?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Khas Khas
April 15, 2014 11:13AM
Its from the family of dry fruits and yes we can eat it. smiling smiley
My mom used to make Panjiri and use Khas Khas also as one of the ingredient. winking smiley
April 15, 2014 01:28PM
I'm probably dragging the issue on, but since some Singhs that I know stay away from caffeine, even if the cha and coffee doesn't give a high, I'm wondering if khas khas is not allowed in the same way, even if it does not give a high. Wikipedia says that it comes from the opium poppy and that is just keeping me suspicious.
April 15, 2014 10:17PM
SinghAbb jee,

Khas Khas is acceptable for Gursikhs.
Also, opium is extracted from poppy seeds (khas khas), not the other way around.

Talking about avoiding tea/coffee, both are stimulant drugs. They don't give a high, but are still are amal. That is why we call a regular tea/coffee drinker an 'amli'. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ( no offence to anyone! smiling smiley )
April 16, 2014 08:23AM
Although from the same plant as opium but khas is highly Gunkari. Its effect is cooling and relaxant. Its a brain tonic. It does not give you a high at all.
Anonymous User
April 16, 2014 03:26PM
Khas does have some Morphine / Codeine.

Morphine levels in poppy seeds range between 4–200 mg/kg. According to an article published in the Medical Science Law Journal, after ingesting "a curry meal or two containing various amounts of washed seeds" where total morphine levels were in the range 58.4 to 62.2 µg/g seeds, the urinary morphine levels were found to range as high as 1.27 µg/mL (1,270 ng/mL) urine. Another article in the Journal of Forensic Science reports that concentration of morphine in some batches of seeds may be as high as 251 µg/g. In both studies codeine was also present in the seeds in smaller concentrations. Therefore it is possible to cross the current standard 2,000 ng/mL limit of detection, depending on seed potency and quantity ingested. Some toxicology labs still continue to use a cutoff level of 300 ng/mL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login