ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question - Why keep strict Rehat when I am in love for Akaal Purakh?

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Please share your thoughts and any relate Gurbani or Sakhian relating to some people's common perception that Sikhi is "all about love" and when love comes in to the equation that keeping Rehat becomes less significant.

Someone commented, "Love is spontaneous, care-free, etc. whereas discipline is focused, scheduled, executed. How do we need to be?"

Hoping this post will benefit the Sangat, especially those who are new to Sikhi.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The question to ask those people is how do they love their father and mother? If I, as a child, continue to disobey my father and mother, but keep saying I love them, is that truly love? Out of love and respect, one obeys and relishes in the fact that they could make their father and mother happy.

If I, as a husband, continue to say "I love you" over and over to my wife, and never listen to my spouse and do anything for her, am I demonstrating my love? Or do I listen to her, do things for her and become happy when she is happy that I was able to do something to make her happy.

Funny how people will die for love, go crazy and utter the name of their object of affection's name in a trance-like state of deep, depressing pangs and do all sorts of crazy things for that person including murder/suicide/etc., but God...nah, who needs to do anything right? Just say I love you to God a few times a year and you are gold.

Perhaps the person really knows nothing about love to begin with - have they truly been in love? Do they even know what love looks like or at least know what people have done for love? It doesn't seem like it.
those who are truly in love with Vaheguru only and not into impressing their sangat keep so much rehat and so much NIMARTA that they never show it to anyone with blind eye.. their strictness and their love is known only to Vaheguru. JIN HAR PAYA THINAY CSHAPAAYA.. no gursikh has gotten far without keeping strict rehat and showing off, only those do who can keep themselves in nimarta and without ego while being gurmat de dhaarnee. so those who complain that love is all about freedom and rehat suppresses them, they most definitely are only going backwards by showing off talking about their prem and also not keeping rehat.
Manvir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please share your thoughts and any relate Gurbani
> or Sakhian relating to some people's common
> perception that Sikhi is "all about love" and when
> love comes in to the equation that keeping Rehat
> becomes less significant.
>
> Someone commented, "Love is spontaneous,
> care-free, etc. whereas discipline is focused,
> scheduled, executed. How do we need to be?"
>

When you love someone - there are certain condtions on the way you treat them - and those conditions relate to discipline orderly way of being with them in order for that love to grow. i.e you have to understanding, you have to control your self around that person and be able to sacrifice as much for that person. Guru Sahib has given us the rehat as gifts to abide by in order to stay in love in discipline.

In fact anything you do in life whether work or any acitivity you want to be successfull at you have to love it so much and that love has to include discpline - focus - execution of certain acts - all have to perfect as possible in order to be successful.

Love without any kind of discipline focus cannot be lovea tall.
Love is certainly care-free but a person who is in love with Vaheguru will think nothing of himself and only focus on pleasing Vaheguru. In love, we give up ourselves for the one we love and put our loved ones before us. Love is self-sacrifice not a selfish act. This is true love and Gurmat fully advocates it. Bhai Joga Singh showed this love when he left his marriage in the middle. Panj Pyare showed this love by giving up their lives to please Guru Sahib. On the other hand, Bhai Moola became care-free and showed his back to Guru Nanak Dev Ji which caused him to wander in lower births for over 200 years. We may not get that lucky and might have to wander for thousands of years if we don’t seize the opportunity in this lifetime.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sakhi Bhai Manj
Sakhian of Bhai Nand Lal Ji and his love for Dasam Patshah.

Those should be enough for anyone.

Gurbani: all of it is about love of the Almighty.
I came across this salok of bhagat Kabir Jee which I feel is related to this argument that people present about love being care free etc.

kabeer preeth eik sio keeeae aan dhubidhhaa jaae ||
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

bhaavai laa(n)bae kaes kar bhaavai gharar muddaae ||25||
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

I must say I was surprised to see this. Can someone use this bani to support an argument that keeping kesh is not important?
Preetraj,

This Salok cannot be used in favour of not keeping hair. Most probably a bareheaded shaven headed Vaishnav had gotten into argument with Bhagat Kabir jee because Bhagat jee kept long hair. He said to Bhagat jee that in order to get rid of Dubidha of the mind, it is important to shave one's head. In response to this, this Salok was uttered by Bhagat jee.

Some say that Dubidha goes away by growing hair e.g. Jataa-dhaari Saadhoos and some say dubidha goes away by shaving head off e.g. Jainis, Buddhists and some Vaishnav sects but Siri Bhagat Kabir jee is saying in this Salok that by doing Preet with One Vaheguru, all dubidha goes away; otherwise, it does not go away whether you grow your hair or shave them.

Some consider just being vegetarian brings Mukti and others think that by going to Teerath one can get Mukti. Some also think that by shaving the head or by growing hair alone one can get clear Dubidha from the mind. This is the point that Bhagat jee wants to refute in this Salok.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
If a praani says, " Waheguru I love you but I will not follow whatever you say ". Now that kind of love is beyond my understanding.

Guru nu manne par guru di na manne. Eh keho jaya pyar hai ?? This is Love of Convenience and not an unconditional love.

"Rehat pyari mujhko sikh pyara nahi". Rest is all convenient love fantasy.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Thank you Jee for clearing that up.

It makes sense when you look at it the way you have explained it.

I must say I was surprised to see this. Can someone use this bani to support an argument that keeping kesh is not important?

Keeping kesh is not important if one has no interest in taken Amrit. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji refers to people who keep kesh but have no interest in taken Khanda Ki Pahual as a Moorak Sikh ( foolish Sikh). This is obviously not referring to people who keep their kesh with the intent of one day taken Amrit but still learning before taking the big step; instead, this Sri Mukhvak is referring to those who look like Sikhs on the outside with kesh and dastar, but they have no interest in taken Amrit. We have seen a trend when with some Sikhs especially those from Punjab who keep their kes for 10, 20, or even 30 years without the slightest interest in taken Amrit. When you ask such people to take Amrit they make lame excuses.

Today my hometown was blessed with an Amrit sacnhar. Last week the neighboring town had a nagar kirtan and I met a few keshdhari people from my town. I told them that on the following week there is going to be an Amrit Sacnhar and they should get prepared to take Amrit. One of my friends dad who has been keeping his kesh for 20 years gave me the lame excuse " Im not ready yet" I told him when are you going to be ready when you die? Another Uncle Jee who is also the father of a childhood friend gave me the excuse " it will be too hard rite now because Im a truck driver" I told him truck driver is the best profession if you are a Singh you can listen to kirtan/ paath all day long. He said he will try to make it to the sanchar yet none of them showed up. I met another one of my friends father who use to be a mona. I saw him with kesh this morning and got happy. I told him he should take Amrit. He smiled and said It took me 45 years to get where I am, and Im preparing for the special day too take Amrit. I think such excuses are legit because he is new into Sikhi and he is still learning rehat before taking the lunge tn chhaking amrit. But we cant understand why so many people even the older shy from taking Amrit.

I can remember one day I saw an old keshdhari Baba Ji wearing a rumaal in the darbar sahib. I told him he should wear a dastar as this is the nishani of a Gursikh. He replied " Im not a Gursikh" I said then take Amrit. He started making these lame excuses that its not in his hand and its all up to Sri Guru Ji. I said its true its in Sri Guru Jis hand and if he wants this blessing all he has to do is ardas. I said do ardas everyday and the day will come. I asked him if there is ever a amrit sanchar in our town would he take amrit? He said yes but didnt even show up today. I cant understand why people born and raised in Punjab from a Sikh background are so shy in taking Amrit. Why are they so afraid in taking Amrit? We remember when we found out the keshdhari person who gives out degh at the local Gurdwara drinks alcohol we confronted him and said if you want Mukhti you should stop drinking alcohol and instead drink Amrit. He said its not his choice when he takes Amrit instead its " Rab dee bhana" ( Gods will) . I told him Gurbani is gods will and Gurbani gives us hukum to take Amrit ( Amrit Peevo Sada Chir Jeevo). He was a 93 year old man and still he had no fear of dying without Amrit. Why is this generation so hesitant in taking Amrit?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login