ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deg Maryada - Respecting Sangat

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Nowadays there is much confusion about Maryada. Whether it be Akhand Paath Maryada, Amrit Sanchar Maryada, or Degh Maryada . The reason being every jathebandi has developed innovations of maryada to distinguish themselves from other Gursikhs and as a result the youth and new comers in Sikhi get confused. There should be some level of uniformity of maryada. How can the panth ever be one if we are stuck following all types of different maryadas? Only when Gursikhs accept maryada which has been searched by learned Gursikhs and passed by Sri Akal Takht will the panth become one . Giani Harbans Singh Ji is a great panthic scholar . He has written many topics on maryada such as Akhand Paath Maryada and Degh Maryada. We feel its important to share his hard work with others so we will discuss his views on Degh Maryada. Because few people are tolerant of opposing views we will only share the views which are non-controversial.

Giani Harbans Singh Ji mentions that Degh should be prepared by Sarab Loh utensils in a sarab loh karahaee. The reason being Sarab Loh is a puratan maryada and in addition eating from Sarab Loh has additional health benefits.

Ingredients: Wheat, Pure Gheo, non- white sugar

Giani Harbans SIngh Ji mentioned that Puratan Singhs use to put a lot of effort and love when preparing Degh. In addition, hygiene/sucham was an important aspect of preparing degh. He mentions how nowadays nobody grinds there own wheat, instead they buy the already grinded processed wheat. Often times this wheat is left on the dirty ground. How can we put such wheat in the degh and distribute it too sangat? Giani Ji mentions Puratan Singhs used to clean the wheat seeds and then grind them. Only then would the wheat become acceptable to place in the bata. We remember reading the life story of Baba Bishan Singh Ji ( Muralewale) even at a late age he would clean and grind the wheat by himself. When asked "why not make it easy and just got the grounded wheat" he would say" how can we use wheat which was lying on the floor. How can we do kirpan bhet on such wheat this would be beadbi of degh". Preparing rehat according to maryada is not suppose to be easy, its through the love of labor of the Gursikh which makes the degh taste so delicious.

Butter- We remember some years ago we ate some degh and we could taste salt. It was obvious that the person making the degh did not use pure gheo ( unsalted butter). Salt is not part of the three ingredients when preparing degh so we shouldn't be using salter butter. Oil is also not part of the original three ingredients when preparing degh. Giani Harbans SIngh Ji mentions how the unsalted butter ( gheo) at stores contains vegetable oils. He says stores use oil to make the butter look more shiny ( bright) this appealing more to customers. Its true many stores use all kinds of tactics to make their product look more glossy. For example, in the West stores use crushed ants to make their apples look more shiny, and as a result customers are more attracted to this product. So this type of Gheo should be avoided. Gheo should be made fresh straight from cream. If possible cream should come from the cow milked by the sevadar. This is more akin to bibek.

Sugar- Nowadays people use white sugar when making degh. Giani Ji mentions white sugar is not puratan and also its more unhealthier to raw sugar. White sugar leads to high pressure. A singh was once telling me that white sugar goes through a different process then natural sugar. White sugar is filtered through pipes. These pipes are made out of cow bones, as the sugar is processed absorbs the white of the cows bone. Such sugar is not even vegetarian so we should never serve it to sangat.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Excellent infomative post, Bhai Sukhdeep Singh.

To clarify and confirm regarding White Sugar:

In processing Sugar the decolourising filter which gives the sugar cane its white colour is known as bone char / natural charcoal and is made of cattle bones. Brown Sugar is simply refined Sugar with Molasses added to give it a brown colour, and so has probably been processed via bone char. I believe Unrefined Raw Cane Sugar / Demerara Sugar would be the suitable choice.

As far as I know, In the UK, the major sugar companies "Tate and Lyle", "Billington’s" and "Silver Spoon" do not use bone char in processing White Sugar.

Similarly, for the USA, the PETA website states that the following sugar companies do not use bone char : Monitor Sugar, Florida Crystals Corporation, SuperValu, and Western Sugar.
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Only the Gursikhs who carry Dard for Panth in their heart would understand the Brahmgyan behind such established Maryadas.

Rest will just waste their life pointing fingers every now and then towards Puraatan Maryada.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Bhai Navroop Singh Ji im not sure about brown sugar but from what I remember I think the Singh told me by nature sugar is brown. Either way I think the most bibekee sugar is to make ones own sugar with sugar cane even though this is a very long process. If not possible, then one should call the manufacturing company of the processed sugar and ask them what ingredients are contained in the sugar and how was the sugar processed. Only then should the sugar be used for sangats consumption.
Cooking flour

Giani Harbans Singh Ji mentions when cooking the flour with the butter the motion should be at a more slower speed. When moving the kurchna to fast the flour gets burned, but when adding the sugar-water we should rotate the kurchna more faster this way lumps don't develop in the degh.

Traditionally , Sri Japji Sahib is recited when making degh. We have heard that sugar water must be added only after Sri JapJi Sahib is complete. We don't know where this maryada has developed , and we don't see the need for this rigid rule. Everyone recites Sri Jap Ji sahib at a different pace it doenst make sense to speed up or slower the pace of recitation just to place the water in the degh. The practical method is to place the water in the degh after the flour has been cooked . The flour is cooked when its looks brown ( golden) . When making degh we should be concentrating on the bani and at the same time concentrating on the degh. There is no time slot or rule that Sri Jap Ji sahib must be completed before placing water in degh. If someone doesn't have Sri Jap JI Sahib memorized then they can do Naam Abhyiaas. In Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jis time, their was a Muslim convert from Kabul who didn't have Sri Japji Sahib memorized so instead Sri Guru Ji had him make degh while japping Naam.
Giani Harbans Singh Ji mentions when cooking the flour with the butter the motion should be at a more slower speed. When moving the kurchna to fast the flour gets burned, but when adding the sugar-water we should rotate the kurchna more faster this way lumps don't develop in the degh.

I don't know what Giani Jee experienced with Khurchana speed but it all depends upon thickness of Sarabloh Karahi, heat and amount of wheat flour and Ghee. Its the slower speed which could over burn the flour if Karaahi is thin and heat is too much, not the fast speed of Khurchana. Basically you need consistent speed.

Secondly, if Wheat flour/Ghee and Chashni are of correct ratio then mixing them at correct temperature will never form lumps. If you rotate Khurchana at faster speed while pouring the Chashni then chances are mixture will splash. Hot Ghee and flour can create Skin burn, in some cases big blisters.

Daas would say preparing Degh is not an easy Seva as it seems like or written in books. While preparing If Guru Sahib does Kirpa only then it becomes Rasna like.

Showti Ardaas and not changing the ingredients type helps a lot in long run.
Agreed with Bhai Jasjit Singh.

It is a totally different thing to make Degh just for small amounts than to make Degh for big Smagam. When making large amounts of Degh there is very big danger of burning skin due to splashing.

It is not possible to learn how to do Degh Seva without doing Seva under the supervision of learned Gursikhs. The most you can do is learn the theory, but until you do Seva in Sangat of Sarblohis you can't learn the practical implementation of the theory.

For example, some types of Atta take more water than others, because of how fine or course they are ground. Stone ground or Home ground flour usually takes a little bit more water and you have to be careful not to evaporate too much water after putting in Chasni or the Degh will get too dry.

It is suggested to do Seva with learned Gursikhs so that the implementation can be learnt as well, and concepts like Sucham and how to Varta Panjan Dee Degh can become clear. Otherwise there is the danger of people just interpreting things in their own weird way and calling it Maryada.

Preetam Singh
From my personal experience in preparing Degh we find Giani Jis writings to be correct. I forgot to mention but Giani Ji also does mention to be careful from hot splashing water. I did not mention every aspect of preparing degh because it would talk too long in one thread and plus I had guest over.

In regards to flour when strring too fast the atta starts to burn, and when pouring water in and stirring to slow the atta starts to form lumps. Its true the temperature and quantity make a big difference in the flow but for the most part too fast leads to burning and too slow at the end leads to lumps. In regards to flour yes there are different flours that burn differently, but I think Giani Ji is not referring to grounded floor which modern day bibekees use. Generally speaking in Puratan times grounded floor was not accepted. grinded floor burns the same way every time regardles of the wheat seed. This is all common sense. Its true cooking instructions are best learned from actual people then reading, but I just shared for general knowledge. There are plenty of u tube videos which show degh being made, but beacuse of the many differences we thought we should share some basic information.
... too slow at the end leads to lumps

If Degh has lumps then it is a Nishaani of 'Cheepadpuna'smiling bouncing smiley. It has nothing to do with speed, they dissolve very quickly (like bubbles) if you have proper Ghee.

BTW, Per Gurmat Maryada no one is allowed to snap pictures or video while Degh is being prepared. I don't think youtube videos can be classified as Degh rather sweet pudding or Halwa.

As Bhai Preetam Singh Jee suggested we should do Seva with learned Gursikhs so that the implementation can be learnt. By our own it takes years and years to learn especially for large Smagams.

Appreciate your effort to bring Degh Maryada awareness, keep it up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login