ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pentagon to relax rules on personal religious wear — including beards, turbans

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
By Jim Miklaszewski and Courtney Kube, NBC News
The Pentagon on Wednesday is expected to announce widespread changes to rules governing religious items and religion-based physical attributes that service members can maintain while in uniform — including beards, some religious tattoos, and turbans.
NBC News obtained an early draft of the new Department of Defense instruction which states that the military will make every effort to accommodate “individual expressions of sincerely held beliefs” (conscience, moral principles, or religious beliefs) of service members.
It goes on to say that unless doing so could have an adverse impact on military readiness, unit cohesion, good order and discipline, health and safety, or any other military requirement, commanders can grant service members special permission to display their religious articles while in uniform.
Requests for religious accommodation can be denied when the “needs of mission accomplishment outweigh the needs of the service member,” the directive will explain.
Earlier this month, a major in the U.S. Army who is a Sikh American took his case to staffers on the Hill, explaining how he and other Sikhs should be able to serve in uniform and still maintain their religious beliefs, including wearing turbans and unshorn hair, including beards.
The new directive will explain that if the articles of faith or physical attributes interfere with the proper function of protective clothing and equipment, the request could be denied. For example, a beard or unshorn hair cannot interfere with gas masks or helmets.
Jewish service members can request permission to wear a yarmulke while in uniform. Muslim service members can request to wear a beard and carry prayer beads. Even Wiccan service members, those who practice "Magick," can seek accommodation — the directive covers all religions recognized by the U.S. military.
The policy will also spell out that service members have the right to observe no religion at all.
According to Defense Department statistics, which are based solely on self-reporting, there are only a handful of Sikh Americans in the military (about 3).
There are nearly 3,700 Muslims, nearly 6,300 Buddhists, and more than 1,500 Wiccans.
The immediate commander can approve some of the religious accommodation, but some will have to be kicked up to higher headquarters.
In some cases wearing something that impacts the uniform (religious apparel), grooming (beards, longer hair), religious tattoos, and some jewelry with religious inscriptions.
The directive stresses that “the importance of uniformity and adhering to standards, of putting unit before self, is more significant and needs to be carefully evaluated when considering each request for accommodation.”
It goes on to say that “it is particularly important to consider the effect on unit cohesion.”
Each individual service member has to re-apply for new permission at each new assignment, transfer of duty stations, and for each deployment.

[usnews.nbcnews.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Whereas this is a good news in right direction but it's not enough for Sikhs to serve their country with freedom of Sikhi. We should act upon the Sikh servicemen's request on this matter.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Dear Jasjit Ji,

I want to clear the air and clarify the new Pentagon guidelines.

On January 22, 2014, the U.S. Department of Defense published new rules on religious accommodation in the U.S. military. People have written to the Sikh Coalition and me conveying their “congratulations,” mistakenly thinking that Sikhs will now be allowed to serve freely in the U.S. military with their Sikh articles of faith.

Let me be clear: Even now, Sikhs may have to abandon their Sikhi in order to serve in the U.S. military.

Click here to sign a letter to your Member of Congress

1. What are the problems with the new Pentagon rules?

Under the new rules, Sikhs still have to ask permission from the highest levels of the Pentagon to maintain their Sikhi. We don’t know how the military will decide these individual requests or how long it will take.

Worst of all, under the new guidelines, a Sikh may have to shave, cut his hair, and remove his or her turban until an accommodation is granted. We all know that is unacceptable.

In addition, service members like Captain Rattan, Corporal Lamba and me still have to reapply for our accommodations for every new assignment, even though we have already proven our worth on the battlefield and at home. I served with distinction on the frontlines in Afghanistan and was decorated with a Bronze Star Medal because my faith served me while I served my country. Having to reapply for permission to maintain my articles of faith is simply not right.

2. Why is this campaign so important?

The U.S. military is the largest employer in the United States. If the largest employer in the United States does not accept our Sikh articles of faith, this gives a green light to other employers to discriminate against Sikhs and reinforce stereotypes about who counts as an American. This is a primary reason why African-Americans, gays and lesbians, and women fought for the right to freely serve in the U.S. military.

3. Is there anything you can do to help?

Yes. The Sikh Coalition is working with the U.S. Congress to fix these problems. We humbly request that every Sikh Coalition supporter living in the United States sign a letter to their Member of Congress. We can only bring about this lasting change for our future generations with your support.

I thank you for reviewing this message and answering a call to action.

Chardi Kala,
Major Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login