ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"What will Sikhi do for me?" - How would you respond?

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Khalsa Ji,

How would you reply to someone asking, "What will Sikhi do for me?"

Today, even some Amritdhari youth have taken Amrit but struggle to motivate themselves and fall in the trap of the world and struggle to see what Sikhi will offer them.

Would be good to share some Gurbani lines, personal testimonials and Saakhis. This would be great parchaar resource for all to share with youth.

Dhanvaad.

Daas,
Manvir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
It is difficult to explain to someone the benefits of Sikhi, as this can only be known by experiencing it yourself. Reading inspirational stories of Gursikhs or beautiful passages of Gurbani may impress them to some extent, but unless somebody experiences it they will never know the full beauty of Sikhi.

You can place an orange in front of somebody and explain to them how sweet and tasty it is. You can go on for hours and hours describing how nice it tastes and how it is the sweetest orange you have ever tasted, but until they bite the orange and taste it for themselves they will never FULLY understand what you were talking about.

Until they take that step forward they will never know what Sikhi can do for them.
I will respond by giving you a list of what Sikhi has done for me:

1. It has taken care of my worldy needs
2. Made me mentally stronger
3. Made me healthier
4. I have a peace of mind that my Father (Guru Gobind Singh Ji) will take care of me in this life and in the next
5. I do not worry so much any more
6. I have become more confident in myself and in my abilities
7. I have more respect from others being a Sikh
8. I am happier as a person than I used to be
9. I have a better relationship with my parents, spouse and children
10. Have allowed me to take some control of my bad habits and vices
11. It has changed me inside and outside
12. I am no longer afraid of events and circumstances as I used to be
13. I am no longer afraid of people as I used to be, however that being said – I am afraid of upsetting my Guru
14. It has provided food for my soul through Gurbani and Simran
15. I have realized that Gurbani and Simran are the most precious treasures in this world
16. I am no longer ashamed of my acts and doings as I used to be
17. I have faith that my day to day troubles will be taken care as long as I follow rehat
18. I have met many wonderful good people even from other different religons
19. I have realized that Sikhi is the ultimate truth and life without is HELL
20. Finally, I have realized that our Great Guru loves us dearly much more that any earthly relation.
Manvir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Khalsa Ji,
>
> How would you reply to someone asking, "What will
> Sikhi do for me?"

everything. However ,sikhi starts with giving your head and that is also your mind everything that is in it - good or bad. Sikhe is counter intuitive and way of life as per Guru's hukams - it has nothing to do with what it will offer- if we pray each day "tere bhane sarbat da bhalla" concept is it will give you everything and beyond your own minds comprehension. If a sikh takes one step Guru sahib takes 1000 - is the same concept - beyond our comprehension or thought process.

A true sakkhi once a muslim name "janee khan" who was under the influence of another muslim fakir after a number of years he had reached the stage the same as his teacher muslim fakir and then asked him - " is that all, i need more there is more" .The muslim fakir advised him to see Guru Hargobind Sahib jee, to which he replied that he is of a different religion. The fakir advised him to go as that the Guru knows where you want to go. The muslim janee khan went to Maharaj Guru Hargobind sahib's darbar ,

Mahraj noticed a new person had come into the darbar and asked him: " What is your name and what is it you are after?"

Janee khan replied " My name is janee aap janee ko janee naal milado" - translation "janee means one who knows so he asked Maharaj to please make him join the one who knows everything the creater almighty"

Guru sahib knew this guy was capable and was advanced in his spiritiuality he instruced two sikhs to push him outside of the darbar and keep pushing him till he is outside the darbar. Janeee was adhol after being pushed outside just sat outside. After several days of being outside the darbar maharaj asked sikhs to construct a four wall divaars around him so he cannot see this janee khan at all. Janee khan was still adhol in his avastha. Then after some time Guru Jee did hukham to Janee khan you want to see janee , then go to the river flowing some distance from here and jump into it you will find him there. Janee at once got up and ran towards the river as like someone who had found the answer. As soon as Janee khan starting running towards the river Guru sahib instructed a sikh to follow him on horse back and to ensure when he is about to jump in the river - stop him and bring him back. As the riveer came close Janee was about to jump and the sikh tried to stop janee - he asked why , what are you doing ? Sikh replied if Gurur's hukham to you is to jump then that same Guru's hukham to me is to stop you and bring you back in the darbar. Upon hearing this Janee khan came back with the sikh to see Guru Jee and Guru sahiban hugged Janee khan and gave blessed him with apaar kirpa of spiritual colours he was after which fulfilled him.

So to summarise - Sikhe is a test of our faith our resolve at all times - for the some the test is easy and for some very very hard. Secondly whatever Guru sahiban hukhams are i.e amrit, keep rehit, do naam , do seva, we must do without question and at once, just like Janee at once got up and ran towards that river as soon as Guru sahib told him to. And as per Gurbani " bandee bandgee ekhtiaar sahib rooos dahru ke pyaair" which basically means whatever the test - if Guru sahib is testing us fierecely or with pyiaar we must not stop our bandghee - as a Sikh you will get tested and it's actually a universal thing if you think about it. Any job you have had or any new skill you learn and acquire - do you never get tested of it??? and when you do get tested what happens to you ?? progression is it not? same is with Sikhe Maharaj wants us to progress therefore tests are in place every second of the way.
Beautiful Shabad summing up one's Jeevan before and after meeting the True Guru (i.e. before and after receiving Naam from Satguru Jee):

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Aasaa Raag, Fifth Nanak:
ਰਾਗ ਆਸਾ ਵਿੱਚ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨਦੇਵ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ।

ਅਪੁਸਟ ਬਾਤ ਤੇ ਭਈ ਸੀਧਰੀ ਦੂਤ ਦੁਸਟ ਸਜਨਈ ॥
That which was upside-down (before in my life) has been set upright (since I met the Guru); the deadly enemies and adversaries have (now) become friends.
(ਜਦੋਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲਾਪ ਹੋਇਆ ਤਾਂ ਮੇਰੀ ਹਰੇਕ) ਪੁੱਠੀ ਗੱਲ ਸੋਹਣੀ ਸਿੱਧੀ ਹੋ ਗਈ (ਮੇਰੇ ਪਹਿਲੇ) ਚੰਦਰੇ ਵੈਰੀ (ਹੁਣ) ਸੱਜਣ-ਮਿੱਤਰ ਬਣ ਗਏ,

ਅੰਧਕਾਰ ਮਹਿ ਰਤਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਿਓ ਮਲੀਨ ਬੁਧਿ ਹਛਨਈ ॥੧॥
In the darkness (of my mind), the jewel (of the Guru's Divine-Knowledge) shines forth, and my impure understanding has become pure. ||1||
(ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਦੇ) ਘੁੱਪ ਹਨੇਰੇ ਵਿਚ (ਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿਆ ਗਿਆਨ-) ਰਤਨ ਚਮਕ ਪਿਆ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਨਾਲ) ਮੈਲੀ ਹੋ ਚੁਕੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਅਕਲ ਸਾਫ਼-ਸੁਥਰੀ ਹੋ ਗਈ ॥੧॥

ਜਉ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਭਈ ॥
When the Lord of the Universe became merciful,
ਜਦੋਂ ਮੇਰੇ ਉਤੇ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਹੋਈ,

ਸੁਖ ਸੰਪਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
I have met the True Guru; (and as a result of meeting the Guru) I have found spiritual peace, wealth and the fruit of the Lord's Name. ||1||Pause||
ਮੈਂ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ (ਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਮਿਲਾਪ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ) ਫਲ (ਵਜੋਂ) ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਦੀ ਦੌਲਤ ਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤੀ ਹੋ ਗਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥

ਮੋਹਿ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਕਉ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਨਤ ਸਗਲ ਭਵਨ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਈ ॥
(Before meeting the Guru) no one knew me, the miserable miser, but now, I have become famous all over the world.
(ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਮਿਲਾਪ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ) ਮੈਨੂੰ ਨਕਾਰੇ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ ਜਾਣਦਾ; ਹੁਣ ਮੈਂ ਸਾਰੇ ਭਵਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਉੱਘਾ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ।

ਸੰਗਿ ਬੈਠਨੋ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਪਾਵਤ ਹੁਣਿ ਸਗਲ ਚਰਣ ਸੇਵਈ ॥੨॥
Before, no one would even sit with me, but now, all worship my feet. ||2||
(ਪਹਿਲਾਂ) ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੇ ਕੋਲ ਬੈਠਣਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ ਮਿਲਦਾ, ਹੁਣ ਸਾਰੀ ਲੁਕਾਈ ਮੇਰੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗ ਪਈ ॥੨॥

ਆਢ ਆਢ ਕਉ ਫਿਰਤ ਢੂੰਢਤੇ ਮਨ ਸਗਲ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਬੁਝਿ ਗਈ ॥
(Before meeting the Guru, being enslaved to desires) I used to wander in search of pennies, but now (with the blessings of the Guru), all the desires of my mind are satisfied.
(ਗੁਰ-ਮਿਲਾਪ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਤ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨਾ-ਅਧੀਨ ਹੋ ਕੇ) ਮੈਂ ਅੱਧੀ ਅੱਧੀ ਦਮੜੀ ਨੂੰ ਢੂੰਡਦਾ ਫਿਰਦਾ ਸਾਂ (ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ) ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਦੀ ਸਾਰੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨਾ ਬੁੱਝ ਗਈ ਹੈ।

ਏਕੁ ਬੋਲੁ ਭੀ ਖਵਤੋ ਨਾਹੀ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਸੀਤਲਈ ॥੩॥
(Before) I could not bear even one criticism, but now, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, I am cooled and soothed. ||3||
ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਮੈਂ (ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ) ਇੱਕ ਭੀ (ਖਰ੍ਹਵਾ) ਬੋਲ ਸਹਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਾਂ ਸਕਦਾ, ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਦਾ ਸਦਕਾ ਹੁਣ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨ ਠੰਡਾ-ਠਾਰ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ ॥੩॥

ਏਕ ਜੀਹ ਗੁਣ ਕਵਨ ਵਖਾਨੈ ਅਗਮ ਅਗਮ ਅਗਮਈ ॥
(With God's Grace I met the True Guruwinking smiley What Glorious Virtues of that God can I describe with my one tongue? He is beyond approach (of the mind), beyond approach, beyond approach; (All God's Virtues cannot be told).
(ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਦੀ ਅਪਾਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਮਿਲਿਆ, ਉਸ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਦੇ) ਕੇਹੜੇ ਕੇਹੜੇ ਗੁਣ (ਉਪਕਾਰ) ਮੇਰੀ ਇੱਕ ਜੀਭ ਬਿਆਨ ਕਰੇ? ਉਹ ਅਪਹੁੰਚ ਹੈ ਅਪਹੁੰਚ ਹੈ ਅਪਹੁੰਚ ਹੈ (ਉਸ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਉਪਕਾਰ ਦੱਸੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾ ਸਕਦੇ)।

ਦਾਸੁ ਦਾਸ ਦਾਸ ਕੋ ਕਰੀਅਹੁ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਸਰਣਈ ॥੪॥੨॥੧੨੪॥
O Nanak! (May I always keep saying-) O God! I have come to your Sanctuary; please, make me the slave of the slave of Your slaves. ||4||2||124||
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਇਹੀ ਆਖਦਾ ਰਹੁ-) ਹੇ ਹਰੀ! ਮੈਂ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ ਆਇਆ ਹਾਂ, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਦਾਸਾਂ ਦੇ ਦਾਸਾਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ ਬਣਾਈ ਰੱਖ ॥੪॥੨॥੧੨੪॥
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login