ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two beds husband and wife?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Two beds husband and wife?
November 12, 2013 09:28PM
I use to live with a elderly Gursikh couple who were very religious and traditional Gursikhs. One day I was in their bedroom and I noticed they had two separate beds in which the Husband sleeps on one bed and the wife on the other bed. I remember my Baba and Bibi Ji also use to sleep on two separate beds. Also, I remember some of my childhood friends would say how their grandparents slept on two different beds. Is this a cultural tradition or is there some Gurmat principle behind this?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Two beds husband and wife?
November 14, 2013 05:43AM
Its a cultural 'norm' of whole of India, not just Sikhs or Punjab. There were never double beds in olden days. Double beds came with the British influence. Its there in every state. Double beds are there only in houses of modern day couples. All the elderly couples in India sleep separately.
Thank you JI I didn't know this. I know how Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji mentions how under Western Education the youth have broken the old age cultural tradition of arrange marriages in exchange for love marriages along with boy friend and girl friend relationships and hanging out at the movies. But I never assumed British influence went as far to creep into the bedroom. Waaheguru!
This could also mean we were easily influenced. There's no one to blame here but us. I believe there’s good and bad in every culture. We should take the good in everything rather than looking down at them due to cultural differences. Although Love marriages are frowned upon in Sikhi, it taught British People how to respect a woman which they manage to elevate more than most of us. Just look at how many reported rape cases there are in India- there are thousands. There are also Muslim honour killings commonly due to hatred towards westernised culture, but who looks far worse in the end- western culture ends up far exceeding in morality. There is a lot of good you can take from British people, a lot do respect other cultures (including ours) and we should do the same to theirs.
November 15, 2013 10:58PM
Singhni Miripiri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This could also mean we were easily influenced.

Not easily. It takes hundred or more years for influence to percolate. Moreover lets not forget that colonizers and imperialists are at political, economic and social advantage. And this has happened not just with Sikhs or Punjabis or even Indians. It has happened globally east, west, north and south.

> There's no one to blame here but us. I believe
> there’s good and bad in every culture. We should
> take the good in everything rather than looking
> down at them due to cultural differences. Although
> Love marriages are frowned upon in Sikhi, it
> taught British People how to respect a woman which
> they manage to elevate more than most of us. Just
> look at how many reported rape cases there are in
> India- there are thousands. There are also Muslim
> honour killings commonly due to hatred towards
> westernised culture, but who looks far worse in
> the end- western culture ends up far exceeding in
> morality. There is a lot of good you can take from
> British people, a lot do respect other cultures
> (including ours) and we should do the same to
> theirs.

Very true. When it comes to respecting women, giving them equal rights and treating them as fellows in everyday life, Indians have a lot to learn from western society. But I'd like to add that wherever education has spread, women's situation has improved. We have benefited immensely from modern education in that respect.
November 16, 2013 04:03AM
Waheguru Veerjio Sukhdeep Singho jio!
how would our beloved love us if we sleeping with someone else ji?
bhul chuk muaf Wajeguru
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login