ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unfortunate trends I am noticing

Posted by Theguptone 
Unfortunate trends I am noticing
November 10, 2013 07:39AM
The biggest influence on daas while coming into sikhi were chardikala rehatvaan akhand keertan singing gursikhs, steadfast in rehat. Personally, I am the biggest loser there is, I have no kamayee or rehat, however I beg the blessed sangat to take note of a few sad things I am noticing these days. If the gursikhs get dhil then what hope is there for reliant keere like me??

What I notice in jatha these days:

-Competetiveness over doing keertan seva - slots, who has the best tunes, best voice etc. I have seen some alarming behaviour by 'gursikhs' due to jealousy of others' Guru blessed gunns.

-Doing keertan is a bit of fun with friends - forming a band, rehearsing not out of pyar but as if preparing for a show, coordinating outfits etc. Comments heard afterwards, "you smashed it", "that was sick", "tabla was wikid", etc.
This includes an emphasis on instruments and tunes. Lately I have been seeing a bizarre trend of two tablas being played alongside a single keertani, actually blocking out the voice of the keertani.

- Lack of ANY bibek within jatha. Now I don't keep full bibek, but acknowledge that without a doubt we should all be striving to keep sarbloh bibek, however what we are seeing now is khulla chhakna from anywhere and everywhere, including those who do keertan and other sevas. It started from eating factory food, then gursikh owned restaurants, then pure veg restaurants, but now I am shocked and dumbfounded to see jatha gursikhs openly eating at places like Pizza Hut, Nandos etc,and taking drinks from places like starbucks.

- Going to cinemas by gursikhs. It just does not fit well with the eyes at all to one day see a group of gursikhs tyar bar tyar in bana for doing keertan and the next day the same group wearing the most fashionable english clothes out and about at cinemas.

-Wearing non-gursikhi clothes to the Gurdwara Sahib/keertan samagam. I can understand if someone has just come from work and they are desperate to matha tek, but I cannot understand gursikhs choosing to come to keertans wearing non-gursikhi clothes.

- The one that hits me the most. LACK OF GURSIKHI PYAR. Why are Gursikhs so alag in their own cliques? There is a dissapearance of saying fateh to gursikhs one doesn't know, let alone showing pyar and inclusiveness.

-Keertan style, somewhat covered above, but just to note that tunes seem more and more innapropriate to the shabad, do not invoke any emotions of bhagti, though are much more complicated and flashy. Lack of any sincere love in keertani's voice. Its also just become fashionable to scream and shout, and make gurmantar dhuni more into a techno rave than anything bairagi.

-Generally innapropriate behaviour within youth. Yes a gursikh should be able to laugh and joke but at the same time should remain composed and not act just like any non-gursikhs of their age, with overly silly joking and behaviour in little gangs - especially seen in singhs.

I am sorry to have to make a negative post but hopefully we can all chaathi maar and see if we ourselves are contributing to this dhendi kala in any way, and if so think about how we can stop.

bhull chuk maaf.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Unfortunate trends I am noticing
November 10, 2013 07:58PM
1. This has been an issues for years. The root cause being Ego. At big Smagams Keertanis will always fight for "prime time". We should take this opportunity to see which Keertani Singhs sit humbly and don't fight over time. Those are the ones that deserve time. The hidden gems.

2. I've also noticed this trend. Having "jam sessions" where all they're really doing is loud and unnecessary dhunee of Gurmantar, and then afterwards go out and have some pizza. Alas, we once had Gurmukhs that would do spontaneous keertans but these would last for entire days, and they wouldn't get fatigued after a few hours of hitting the tabla, that was real devotion for Keertan. Now it's just Kan Rass.

3 and 4. As Kalyug gets darker all rehat disappears. Jatha used to have Gursikhs that were totally dedicated to Gurmat. That is not the case anymore. What can we really do?

A couple of your other points can be covered by this as well. Its because Sikhi is not THE focus of their life so these things happen. We can't really do anything, it's hard living in Kalyug. But Elders and Keertan Organizers should be more diligent in who they give time to.

It's true that a lot of the Keertan is done for show and dhunee is done to get more "fans". But there are hidden gems that come to every smagam, these Gursikhs do Keertan from their heart and with emotion. Hearing these Gurmukhs and meeting them makes it worthwhile.

Really we can only focus on our Jeevan, and surround ourselves with those that have similar pyaas for Darshan of Guru Sahib. It's easy to get caught up in all these negatives and it hurts to see Gursikhs doing these things but we should try to remain positive, being negative won't help us.

ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੂਪ ਤੇ ਉਧਰਿ ਲੈ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਸਰਣਾਇ ॥
Lift me up out of the deep pit of the world, O Beloved; Nanak has taken to Your Sanctuary. ||8||3||22||15||2||42||
It is a general fact about societal processes. Any organisation, especially organised religion, is prone to degeneration as a natural part of its existence. Every organisation works in its perfection as long as the founding personalities are around. When founding personalities are no more, degeneration inevitably sets in, sooner or later.
November 11, 2013 04:42PM
Waheguru help Gursikhi thrive always...because our doubt we will reach Waheguru with weak rehit ji..
November 11, 2013 05:33PM
eyesacademic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a general fact about societal processes. Any
> organisation, especially organised religion, is
> prone to degeneration as a natural part of its
> existence. Every organisation works in its
> perfection as long as the founding personalities
> are around. When founding personalities are no
> more, degeneration inevitably sets in, sooner or
> later.

I disagree eyesacademic jeeo - with Gursikhe this is not so - if it was we would have been finished very very quickly. SIkhe is here to stay and is growing at a rate that we are not aware of at all.

The issues listed above by guptone jeeo - are real and here to stay unless we do something about it - you need to sit with these youth and correct them in a beautiful and articulate way. I feel what is wrong is this youth is bought up in sikhe but only know the basic keertan tabla etc. they don't have the feel that you are looking for primarily because they have not taken sikhe in their own hearts from the mother tougue Punjabi/Gurmuki - lack of understanding will remain big time till they learn Gurmuki and deeper punjabi grammar. I had this issue being born here in the west , however to over come it had to learn the language of source, english parchar of sikhe is not enough i am sorry to say.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login