ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

History of Sri Japj iSahib?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
According to popular belief the pauris of Sri Japji Sahib were recited at different times and locations, and then later complied during the times of Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji. There is another belief that states this bani was recited when Sri Guru Ji went to the mountains to talk to the Siddhas. I remember Baba Waryam Singh Ji mentioning this somewhere. To some extent I used to believe in both beliefs but after further contemplation both theories seem unlikely.

Firstly, Sri JapJi Sahib couldn't have been complied by Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji as Bhai Gurdas Ji mentions this was the daily nitnem of Gursikhs of Kartarpur Sahib. Secondly, Bhai Gurdas Ji mentions when Sri Guru Ji went on his travels he carried a pothi sahib full of bani. Surely, Sri Jap Ji the first bani of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was included.

There is so much info on the history of the most recited and popular banis like Sri Sukhmani Sahib, Siddh Gosht, Dakhni Oankar, Bara Maha etc but there is virtually little information on the history of Sri Jap Ji Sahib. I remember reading in one of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jis books he too has mentioned that this bani was not compiled on a later date nor was it first recited during the time of the Siddhs. I cant remember the book and page number where he said this, but if someone can remember can you provide the source. Also, if someone has the Sri Japji Sahib steeks of Maskeen Ji or Giani Harbans Singh Ji can you provide info on what they have said about the history of Sri Japji Sahib.
Thanks
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Please read the book by Prof Sahib Sahib "Aad bir bare" and "Gurbani te itihas bare"

Bhul Chuk Maff
Bhai KamJ Ji sahib, If possible can you scan the pages related to Sri Japji sahib? Thanks
Anonymous User
Re: History of Sri Japj iSahib?
August 19, 2013 02:00AM
First guru sahib guru Nanak dev ji recited japji sahib. Pelli pathshahi. This is basic c'mon. First guru is guru Nanak dev ji, who recited japji sahib which is the first bani of nitnem which consists of 5 baniias altogether.

Japji, jaap,, tavprasad swaieeay, chaupai sahib and Anand sahib. 5 banis are morning prayers. Then follow rehraas and kirtan Sohila.

Basic stuff.
Anonymous User
August 19, 2013 02:29AM
Just go to a gurmat store n request steeks? Like Sacha sauda store, or search online at amritkeertan.org site.
Unfortunately, I have not got the book on me. I read it from dropbox.

But you will need to whole book although very first pages should clear it. This is not right to say or assume that Gurus had recited the Bani in different places and then left it there, which had to be collected / compiled later. That's kind of dis-respect to Bani and Guru as they could not be careless as "Bani Guru , Guru hai bani". Bani was always kept by a guru and always handed over from one mehal to the next mehal.

Bhul chul Maff
Krissung ji I do not think the original poster was asking about the authorship of Jap ji Sahib. He was interested in knowing how and when Japji Sahib came to be uttered by Guru Nanak Dev ji.
August 19, 2013 09:52AM
[jsks.biz]
August 19, 2013 10:00AM
Not sure if link copied properly in my other reply ji..
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
here is the link ji..[jsks.biz]
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Ps..if this link does not lead to jsks book website, try Bing.com search for Aad Bir Bare

Unfortunately, I have not got the book on me. I read it from dropbox.

But you will need to whole book although very first pages should clear it. This is not right to say or assume that Gurus had recited the Bani in different places and then left it there, which had to be collected / compiled later. That's kind of dis-respect to Bani and Guru as they could not be careless as "Bani Guru , Guru hai bani". Bani was always kept by a guru and always handed over from one mehal to the next mehal.

Bhul chul Maff

I don't think they claim that the bani was left at the different places it was recited; instead, they claim that it wasn't recited at one place and time. I don't agree with this but I cant figure out when and where Sri JapJi Sahib was recited. According to the Janam Sakhees Dakhni Oankar was the first bani recited, but there is no mention of Sri Japji Sahib.

KS Bhenji thanks for the link.
August 20, 2013 04:22PM
Waheguru
Here's is an extract from "Janamsakhi Tradition - An Analytical Study" by Dr. Kirpal Singh and it is taken from the Miharban Janamsakhi: (I have made edits to this extract to hopefully make it clearer)

" Compiling the Japu

At Kartarpur, the Sikhs would get up early in the morning and recite the hymns recommended by Guru Nanak. In the evening were recited the Sodaru and the Rahiras. No particular composition was specified to be recited in the morning. Guru Nanak thought that there should be one specific for morning recitation as well. Keeping this is mind, one day he asked Lehna to prepare a composition for recitation in the morning by culling hymns from his works. Such a composition should be complete in itself. The Guru gave all his works to Lehna and desired that out of these stanzas eulogizing God be set apart. Guru Nanak put the following at the head of his compilation:

Aad Such, Jugaad Such, Hai Bhi Such, Nanak, Hosi Bhi Such

Lehna began selecting the stanzas (Miharban Janamsakhi suggests that the last eleven stanzas of Sri Jupp Ji Sahib were composed by Guru Nanak Dev Ji alongside the Sidh Gosht). He used to recite these stanzas to Guru Nanak every morning. Guru Nanak would look very carefully at the selection made by Lehna. Thus, one morning Lehna recited thirty-eight stanzas from the corpus of Guru Nanak's entire works. The Guru accepted the selection made by Lehna. When the latter recited these stanzas, Guru Nanak would listen to them while bathing. He would also say that eulogies of God are to be sung only after bathing in the morning.

Then Bhai Lehna began arranging these stanzas. He would recite these stanzas to Guru Nanak for getting approval of the order of arrangement. Thus came into being the present form of the Japu.

Guru Nanak was highly pleased at the composition of the Japu. He said that Japu is meant to be recited at an ambrosial hour in the morning and that every Sikh must read it after taking his bath. That is why Bhai Gurdas has said:

Recite the Japu, early in the morning."

I believe the Miharban Janamsakhi is the only Janamsakhi which mentions this account. I do believe that Guru Angad Dev Ji had some involvement with Sri Jupp Ji Sahib as we know that the last Salok, "Pavan Guru, Panee Pitha", is by Guru Angad Dev Ji.
Very interesting account Navroop Singh jeeo.

Siri Jap jee Sahib is the summary of Gurmat and as such either it is the first composition of Guru Sahib from which all other compositions were derived, or the last one of Guru Sahib which compressed all other compositions of Guru Sahib into Siri Jap je Sahib.

There is no Mahalla on top of Siri Jap jee Sahib from which one may derive that this Rachna may contain Baani of Siri Guru Angad Dev jee along with Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee. The last Salok appears in Siri Maajh kee Vaar under the Sirlekh "Mahalla 2".

It does not matter to us when this Baani was brought from Sachkhand. What matters is to do Paath of this Baani as much as possible. Siri Jap jee Sahib is Amrit. There are no words to describe its greatness. Doing Paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib is like feeling Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee within.

Kulbir Singh
Navroop SIngh what you say cant be true . In the Janam Sakhis there is mention of one sakhi where Sri Guru Ji mentions to a Gursikh to recite Sri Japji Sahib every morning. Also , if Sri Japki Sahib came at a later time then what bani was recite for AMrit Sanchar and the preparation of degh?

Also , if Sri Japki Sahib came at a later time then what bani was recite for AMrit Sanchar and the preparation of degh?

Mostly Singhs who prepare Degh do Paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Anand Sahib but it's not mandatory to do so while preparing Degh because some Singhs who don't have these Baanis Kanth (as was the case in olden days for Singhs who did not know how to read or write), can do Manglacharan or above all Naam Abhyaas as Bhai Nandlal jee has written about preparing Degh - Vaheguru bin Avar na kahe".

Kulbir Singh

Mostly Singhs who prepare Degh do Paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Anand Sahib but it's not mandatory to do so while preparing Degh because some Singhs who don't have these Baanis Kanth (as was the case in olden days for Singhs who did not know how to read or write), can do Manglacharan or above all Naam Abhyaas as Bhai Nandlal jee has written about preparing Degh - Vaheguru bin Avar na kahe".

Kulbir Singh

While its true that Deg use to be made while japping Naam I still am convinced SRi Japji Sahib was part of Charan Di Pahul and nitem in the time of of Pehli Patshaah . There is no strong evidence which proves it was complied using different banis. Nor is there any strong evidence suggesting SRi Guru Angad DEv Ji wrote part of the bani. We cant rely on an anonymous text which doesnt provide any proof. Mehma parkaash states that Sri GUru Amar Das Ji composed first 37 banis on Sri Anand Sahib while SRi Guru Raam Das Ji composed 38th and SRi GUru Arjan Dev Ji completed the bani. This does not make sense as the bani has a flow from 1st pauri to 40th pauri. Same way with Sri Japji Sahib Ji there is a flow it must have been recited in one go.
As Bhai Kulbir Singh has also confirmed, the final Salok of Sri JapJi Sahib appears elsewhere under the Sirlekh of "Mahalla 2". As the final Salok is identical in both instances (as opposed to the two instances of the first Salok of Sri JapJi Sahib which are different in spelling - one in Sri JapJi Sahib and one in Sri Sukhmani Sahib), it can be concluded that it is written by Mahalla 2, i.e. Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji. It therefore follows that Sri JapJi Sahib was Sampooran with Guru Angad Dev Ji giving us the final Salok. I don't believe this reasoning is Anti-Gurmat?

With regards to Sri Anand Sahib, despite what Mehma Prakash states, the Sirlekh and structure gives no reason to think that Sri Anand Sahib was composed by anyone but Sri Guru Amar Das Ji.

Here's is an extract from "Janamsakhi Tradition - An Analytical Study" by Dr. Kirpal Singh and it is taken from the Miharban Janamsakhi: (I have made edits to this extract to hopefully make it clearer)

At Kartarpur, the Sikhs would get up early in the morning and recite the hymns recommended by Guru Nanak. In the evening were recited the Sodaru and the Rahiras. No particular composition was specified to be recited in the morning. Guru Nanak thought that there should be one specific for morning recitation as well. Keeping this is mind, one day he asked Lehna to prepare a composition for recitation in the morning by culling hymns from his works. Such a composition should be complete in itself. The Guru gave all his works to Lehna and desired that out of these stanzas eulogizing God be set apart. Guru Nanak put the following at the head of his compilation:

Aad Such, Jugaad Such, Hai Bhi Such, Nanak, Hosi Bhi Such

Navroop Singh,

Kirpal Singh is using the wrong source and giving out the wrong information. The history of Sri Japji Sahib is not in Miharbans Janam Sakhis ; instead, the history comes from an old teeka of Mehrban . Secondly the story is completely different then from what you are quoting. The story mentions Sri Akal Purakh Ji sent out for Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji and asked for his praise. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji then told Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji that we will do such sifat that it will lead to " ek jap" . Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji responded and said "everything that comes out of your mouth leads to " jap" your very vision is jap" . Then through Sri Akal Purakh, Sri Guru Ji recited the first verses of Jap " Aaad Sach Jugaad Sach Habhi Sach Nanak Hosi Bhee Sach". The sakhi does not mention anything about Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji adding a salok. In Sri Sukhmani Sahib, Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji recites the following Salok

ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥

ਹੈ ਭਿ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭਿ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥

Should we conclude that Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji was the one to place this in front of Sri Japji Sahib?I don't think its wise to call an early version of Sri Japji Sahib without Sri Guru Angad Dev Jis saloak as incomplete. Bani is never incomplete. Whatever comes out of Sri Guru Jis mouth is complete. The same logic applies with Sodar - Rehras. The version contained in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is sampooran to say other is wrong. Even if Sri Guru Ji was too recite a bani with two words it would be complete because Gurbani can never be incomplete.

I cant place much faith in the Sri Japji Sahib sakhi for one it was written by the heretic Meharban. Secondly, there is evidence that Sri JapJi Sahib was in existence before Bhai Lehna Ji . For example, Bhai Bala Jis sakhis mention this bani, and Kavi Santokh Singh Ji mentions Sri Guru Ji sang Sri JapJi Sahib at Amrit vela in Bhagdad. This shabad put the whole city into Samadhi.
April 01, 2014 06:32PM
Bhi Sukhdeep Jee makes valid points here - I have a further question - I have heard this JapJi was called JAP NISHAAN orginally ? Does any one know if this true or any further information
According to Talwara JI there is a puratan bir which refers to Sri Japji Sahib Ji as Jap Nishan. I also think Pandit Tara Singh Narotam Ji and Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji also mention Jaap nishan ( Gurmat Bibek).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login