ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which rehraas sahib?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Which rehraas sahib?
August 09, 2013 10:22PM
Which rehraas sahib are we supposed to recite? The full one with the long chaupai or the one with the small chaupai sahib? Can someone please guide me on this, as I am always getting confused about this and am wondering which one I should be reciting and think if I'm not reciting the correct version.

Please let me know which rehraas I'm supposed to recite?

Thanks!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Which rehraas sahib?
August 10, 2013 10:03PM
Complete one, not corrupted version.
August 10, 2013 10:53PM
Krissung jeo,
Please review Panth Parvaanit Rehat Maryada to get an answer to your question. Anythign else is personal preferences, not a Panthic decision. That being said, if you want to read more banis after completing the rehraas sahib, no body could stop you from doing that but "Rehraas Sahib" is well defined in Rehat Maryada. We should not only recite the Bani but should try to understand it as well.

bhull chukk muaaf karna jeo!
August 11, 2013 03:03AM
Vaheguru Jee

It is inappropriate to call Bani "corrupted". Is reading 5 Paurian of Japji Sahib "corrupted Bani"? Is reading 6 Paurian of Anand Sahib "corrupted Bani"? We should be watchful and extremely careful with language we use when referring to Gurbani.

If someone wishes to read a longer version of Rehraas then that is a personal decision. However, to put down others or undermind others for fulfilling the Panth's Hukam is not good.

Arguments are given that complete Banis should be read and "ghatt vadd" Bani (note: language used by some people who make these arguments) is Manmat. However, this would like to kindly ask....

1) When we do Ardaas, why do we only read the first verse of Chandi Di Vaar. Why not all of Chandi Di Vaar? Are we not "cutting" Bani and not doing "sampooran" (complete) Paath?

2) When preparing Amrit, the whole Khalsa Panth, knows and practices that the following Banian are to be recited:- Japji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Svaiyye, Benti Chaupai and Anand Sahib. Now, the Svaiyye that are read in Amrit Sanchaar and part of our Nitnem, is actually part of Akal Ustat which has 33 Paurian (stanzas). The Panth only reads 10 of 33 Paurian for Nitnem and Amrit Sanchaar. Now if we use the theory that "more Bani, the better" and "we should not read shortened version" of any Paath then why don't we read 33 Paurian of Akal Ustat?

3) In Rehraas Sahib, with the exception of Nihang Singhs and Nanaksar, the rest of the Panth recite 6 Paurian of Anand Sahib. Now the same argument could be argued that we are cutting Bani. Or we could even add an extra twist and make up arguments that the British wanted to weaken us so they told us to read 6 Paurian of Anand Sahib!(?) People happily read 6 Paurian of Anand Sahib but when it comes to Chaupai Sahib then they say because you only read 24 Paurians, you are "distorting Bani". Vaheguru.

4) Chapai Sahib's title is "Benti. Chaupai." This Bani is a Benti. Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, a student of Damdami Taksal, served as a Head Granth of Harimandir Sahib, lecturer of Gurbani at universities and researcher of Gurbani (in particular puraatan saroops) said that each line of Chaupai Sahib is a Benti. "Hamree Karo Haath Dai Rachha" is a Benti. "Aap Haath de Lehu Ubaaree" is a benti. When it comes to "Kripaa Karee Ham Par Jag Maataa" then from there on there is no Benti (request). Instead it is information about the Granth (Scripture). "...Pooran Karaa Granth Tat Kaaalaa.." Which Granth is is talking about? The Granth is Charitar Pakhyaan. Chaupai Sahib comes at the end of the Charitars. So Benti Chaupai is 24 Pauris of Benti. Then the last Pauris refer to the whole Granth of Charitar Pakhayaan. If someone wishes to read this, that is fine, but to say the Panth is distorting Bani seems unfair and unwise.

Bhul chuk maaf karnee jee.
Anonymous User
August 11, 2013 04:06AM
Thank you sangat, I will stick to the longer version one as I feel that I'm missing path by only doing the short one. Thank you all for helping me out with this matter as I had been much confused until now. Very much appreciated.
Anonymous User
August 11, 2013 04:14AM
One should not call bani corrupted, bani is nirankaar as per 'Vaaho Vaaho bani nirankaar hai shabad'.
August 11, 2013 12:02PM
Sorry for using this word. I just want to mean k we need to recite full n traditional version. Better if u consult taksal about it. I dont've more knowledge. Sorry again for that word.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login