ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What can we learn from Pope Francis

Posted by gk 
Whenever there is news about Pope Francis since his election I have been reading and following very closely. I am greatly impressed by his humility, his fearless character and also wisdom to take right decision no matter how different they are from his predecessor. In fact I am wondering if Guru Sahib ji will bless our panth also with this kind of brave Jathedar/leader. We definitely need somebody who can lead our panth fearlessly and take right gurmat decisions.
I am sure this humble pope will bring more people into christianity. I am convinced that he must be very very spiritual person to have these characters. After pondering more I am just wondering why inspite of our great history, best guidance from our Guru Granth sahib why we do not have a single leader who can represent us fearlessly, why are we divided and filled with too much ego? Why are we not humble? How come Pope can be having so much power and not be proud of it, what kind of bhagti must he be doing to get this great character of "Humbleness" which our Guru sahiban practiced and have insisted sikhs to strive for it. How can we become humble? I know gurbani says haumai is biggest enemy and can be eliminated by naam kamai. But the pope does not have naam so he does not have naam kamai but he sure has humble attitude and clear mind. So any thoughts why this is so.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Have u tested his humility Gk? Maybe ask if he could represent Sikhs in our demand for religious freedom to honor Guru Gobind Singh Jio's Hukam, then if humbly TAKES ACTION to help us, I will agree that he is humble but still not like a Sikh Saint ji.
for now, I am content knowing Satnam Waheguru, Bhagats of Satnam Waheguru, and Guru Gobind Singh Jio are humble like no pope is or any living superficial Sikh is...but there are humble living Sikh Saints on this forum, outside of this forum...whose humility no superficial pope could match ji...as I am daily pleading for Waheguru's mercy to attain humility too ji...as for now I am just too very proud to be born a Sikh ji
bhul chuk muaf
We don't need a pope francis type leader. We need another Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale as a leader. If Sant Jee was Jathadar of the Akal Takht today, the Panth would be in such Chardikala. He was humble, soor-veer, kamaeewale, rehitvaan, Paathi, Giani and more. He had more knowledge than any Phd or professor out there. When he was alive so many Sikhs were taking Amrit and leaving drugs. May Guru Jee bless the Panth with such leader again.
Sure Gursikho whatever you say is right no body can parallel our Guru sahiban and our shaheeds and our history. If we look at present situation I do not see a single figure in our panth who is Humble, not surrounded by contoversies and lead panth in right direction. If outside our religion we can find examples how other religion are coping with some grave issues they are facing then we will not hesistate to inspect how they are trying to reform themselves and also keep there basic core values intact. What I feel is that people on this forum are not broad enough ( not want to offend anybody but saying my mind after reading above posts. This does not mean that I will not respect you or your opinion) to appreciate and respect good qualities some other leaders posses simply because that leader does not belong to our religion.
Our history sure guides us and we have rich history but how many of us are learning from it. I am impressed by Pope's farsightness, his humble behavior and clear vision this does not mean that I am going to follow him and agree that Christianity is best but on other hand I am able to see the effect of his humble bahaviour on other people this provoked me to think why I am not humble, what virtues does Pope have to become so humble in spite of having power he is down to earth. This is not comparing him with anybody from our rich history our guides are far far more humble and best examples for us but we mortal being are struck in our haumei. Sorry if this post has hurt anybodys feelings.
The post was intended to provoke a thought in minds of readers and see if we can learn something but I guess we are not there yet. Sorry for taking your precious time. Guru sahib ji mehar karan on all his gursikhs and bless us with Piyari Gursikhi so we can do kamai of gursikhi.smiling smiley
Gk, Christians r of majority population in world...surely it is easy for him to be humble if he is indeed as he gets his way mostly when his every 4 corners comprised of Christians ji?
Very well said "gk jee". Taking inspiration from someone does not necessarily mean that one is doing Mattha Tek to that guy. Waheguru is everywhere and one can derive inspiration from anywhere.

ਤੂੰ ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਜੀ ਹਰਿ ਏਕੋ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸਮਾਣਾ ॥

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਹੈ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਤਿਸ ਦੈ ਚਾਨਣਿ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਇ ॥

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
GK jee, I think you have misinterpreted my post. I didn't say you are saying to follow the pope. I understood what you are saying. Francis ta bahut hi chhotta hai. We need to set our standards much higher. We need a leader who is so much more than pope Francis. People who show too much Nimrata for no reason are so annoying.

What we need as Sikhs is a Mahapursh GurSikh to be the Jathedar of the Akal Takht. He should have all qualities of the ideal Gursikh. Much like Akali Phula Singh Jee was. Akali jee showed Nimrata where it was needed and Bir Rass where that was needed. All the Jathedars of the five Takhts should be like this.
Here I have different opinion then you RSingh jee Pope might be chhota for you but I dare not call him chhotta he definitely has some kirpa from akal purakh otherwise normal mortals like myself cannot be humble. To be humble you have to stop judging people and see god in them.
He is definitely close to what he preaches and that is what inspires me. I have question How can you set standards higher, when you have not reached the chhota level of Pope, to go higher you have to cross that chota level too right. So set the standards high but do not overlook small steps as these small steps are going to take you to the top.
We read Gurbani, do kirtan but are far behind in implementing the message in our lives for that reason it is always inspirational to look upto a leader who posses qualities of Gursikh but I do not find any in todays scenario. We all are divided, we talk big about our history but we cannot overcome our egos and work together as a panth, even in Jatha based on different mindsets there are propping more divisions. If I am wrong look for yourself and see in your area are all Gursikhs able to sit together and do sifat salah of our Creator? If answer is Yes then you are very very lucky and blessed because in my region we have divisions and no matter how big we talk and feel blessed after kirtan program but when we belittle other people then whatever we have just heard during kirtan we let it go. Sorry did not want to focus on negatives but just for self analysis it is good to see the real picture because then we can start working on mending it.
I love your example of Akali Phula Singh ji, yes we definitely need jathedars/leaders like him. I am sure you will agree with me on this, lets do more kamai and do ardaas to Akal Purakh to bless us with leaders like Puratan Sikhs because they preached and lived sikhi to the core. With this I would like to have a ending on this one as I can feel it has just wasted precious time of forum readers, in first place I should not have posted this topic and just learned something myself and not openly say my mind here, so apologies.smiling smiley
GK ji I agree, sometimes we are too narrow in our perception and we think that outside Sikhi circle Waheguru's kirpa is not working at all. In every religion there have been saints and great men. All over globe there have been saints as well as warriors of A Class. But sometimes we tend to become arrogant and refuse to pay respect to the greatness were it is due.
I feel it is sad that we have to get inspiration for non-Sikh as so many Sikh Shaeeds, Gurmukhs who have shown utmost humility despite being thru extreme hardship, torture, opposition from majority race...and our Great Guru Maharaj Himself is the best inspiration I uphold ALWAYS...when I need inspiration for humility...Guru Maharaj is so great, He thus allowed non-Sikh contribution in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jio...could the pope or any other deserve such a level of humility?
Pope is looked up to like Jesus by Christians...so wherever he goes, he gets red carpet treatment, and security...but true humility is our Sikh Guru, Sikh Saint Lions..example, Guru Nanak Dev Jio turned away by villagers, but yet He saved all races, creation...and still is today...THAT IS TRUE HUMILITY JIO! Bhai Randhir Singh Jio suffered immensely, yet fought for freedom of all Indian freedom inmates jio..He is Brahmgyani, yet never asked for red carpet treatment in prison...
bhul chuk muaf
I don't care a fig for Francis, but ITS SADDER that we ,make distinction when it comes to what is beautiful and worthy. As Shakespeare said, 'I'd rather be a dog and bay the moon', than be a narrow minded 'appreciator' of Waheguru's greatness.
eyesacademic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As Shakespeare said, 'I'd
> rather be a dog and bay the moon', than be a
> narrow minded 'appreciator' of Waheguru's
> greatness.

shakespeare is believed to have been a gay man, mr. eyesacademic.
Might have been.I never took him as a role model.
Gk, and eyes academic ji,
the following article (http://news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-humility-stops-hotel-pay-bill-145111023.html) on pope Francis proves your point about humility needed in Sikh community, but jio, this forum is run by the King family of Gurmukh humblest of humblest in all creation...thus Guru Maharaj has blessed them
your point would apply to manmukhs like myself...who visit this site to plea for Guru Maharaj mercy to give us zero haumai too ji..since we been blessed to be born Sikhs...thus towards Gursikhi as practised by AKJ, and gurmukhbibeki Gurmukhs is best pure souls to be inspired as we forbidden to consume non-Amritdhari food, or remove hair that is not against Christian religion..neither is lavish living...
and that is biggest issue of ego in our panth today...going against Gursikhi, and those who follow humble kanio tiki path versus those Sikhs who want to go on living as rest of world, even after taking amrit Hukam...sadly even Punj Pyareo of worldly manmukhs given privilege of being Punj and cause more friction on what is Gursikhi..

bhul chuk muaf
I have never read or followed news regarding Vatican church or its pope. I do not know anything about Pope Francis. My only point is that I believe that wherever there is something inspiring we should not hesitate to embrace it. Waheguru's kirpa comes to all of his creation, even the atheist and manmukhs. We do not have to follow everything other people do or say. Appreciate what deserves appreciation. I do not mean anything more than this.

Whenever there is news about Pope Francis since his election I have been reading and following very closely. I am greatly impressed by his humility, his fearless character and also wisdom to take right decision no matter how different they are from his predecessor.

This is a perfect example of how much affect media has on the world. Media hype has been building since the new pope has been elected and few of his gestures are being highlighted too much. He came out of his popemobile and touched few common people or he paid his own bill and the world is going crazy of this so called humility. There are too many examples from the lives of Gurmukh Pyare like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, Sant Attar Singh jee Mastuanawale and other Sikh Mahapurakhs who were one with Vaheguru, who could do anything in this world, who could alter any event of the world yet they remained in the true Will of Vaheguru.

The pope is totally devoid of true spiritual Gyaan of Vaheguru and Sikhs need not take anything from him. One good thing about Catholic church is the way they choose the new pope. But in any case, time for Bol-Baala of Siri Khalsa jee too will come. There will be perfect worldly system and of course full oneness with Vaheguru jee as well.

We have Gurmat Naam, and Gurbani which is the light of this world. We need not look elsewhere for any inspiration. All the inspiration of the universe is within the realms of Gurmat.

Kulbir Singh
Only if everyone solely claimed Guru Granth Sahib Ji as the universal media!!!
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jio is the universal media for the Saints who will live, when those who do not honor this Truth becomes extinct...rahio Naam, rahio Sadhu, Rahio Guru Gobind!
No need for blessed Sikhs to look elsewhere for inspiration, as they have gained supreme understanding of True Humility..
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jio Waho Waho!
[www.srigranth.org]
bhul chul muaf..please read next Ang/ page of Gurbani as well ji..
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
DEGH TEGH FATEH! PANTH KI JEET! RAJ KAREGA KHALSA!
To add to my last post, quoting Ang of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji containing word of Muslim Kabeer Ji, and Hindu Ravi Daas ji, with regards to True Humility...thus justifying Gurbani is universal for all mankind ji...
KS Bhain jeeo,

how did you draw the conclusion that Bhagat Kabir jee was a Muslim and Bhagat Ravidaas jee was a Hindu. They were born to such families but they did not subscribe to any other faith but Gurmat.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh ji,
In order to inform myself of the idea that Bhagats were from gurmat's fold, I request you to kindly elaborate as much as you can on this topic. Mainu iss topic baare study karan da mauka nahi lagya, so please tussin kirpa kareyo.
There is nothing to learn from Pope Francis or any other manmukhs for that matter. Khalsa already has everything.

If anyone would like to learn about authentic history of Bhagat Sahiban one should read Giani Gurditt Singh's Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ithihaas Bhaag 2: Bhagat Bani. Giani Jee has irrefutably proved that all Bhagats whose Gurbani is included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee personally met Guru Sahib and obtained Amrit, Sikhi, and Naam.

ਨਾਹਮਹਿੰਦੂਨਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ॥ ਅਲਹਰਾਮਕੇਪਿੰਡੁਪਰਾਨ ॥੪॥
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Veer Kulbir Singh Jio,
I agree totally, but point I am trying to make is that Kabeer jio being born to Muslim family, and Ravi Daas jio being born to Hindu family, were inspired by Gursikhi, so why do we Sikhs need to search elsewhere for inspiration on humilty, or anything ji?
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login