ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

controlling the mind and the thoughts

Posted by Ranjodh Singh 
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH.......

How do you control your mind and the thoughts that come into it. can anybody help for the following given scenarios :
1) Like for example you are doing paath and suddenly a thought comes into your mind and pulls your concentration away.
2) You have just finished some paath and come out of guru sahib hazzori and the vikaars attack you to do wrong things. ( how do you over power them and stop them? )

will doing more paath and gurbani help in the second matter? cause no matter how hard i try it doesn't seem to work. the more i tell myself not to do what the vikaars tell me, the more stronger they attack back.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaahguru jee kaa Khalsa, Vaaheguru jee kee Fateh!

I would suggest doing lot of Sangat of Gursikhs and do naam jaap and Nitnem in their company, and do ardaas/bentee to Guru Sahib.

"Har ke logaa mo kao neeth dasai patwaari
Ooper bhujaa kar main Gur pahe pukaariya tin hoan liyaa ubaari"

It is very hard to control the mind or stop our thoughts, but a constant fight/judh has to be continued along with lot of Sat Sangat and one day Guru Sahib can shower His mercy and clear our mind of bad thoughts!

Vaahguru jee kaa Khalsa, Vaaheguru jee kee Fateh!
A gursikh told me once make sure you do 3 things when you do path: recite (with your rasna), llisten (with your kann) and contemplate / understand (with your mind). Also when you are doing path, you may find your concentration waivers but you are stil reciting the paath. Try stopping at that point and remember where you last were doing those 3 things and go back to that point and start again. Keep doing this everytime and (god willing) slowly your mind will begin to concentrate more and this is good way to keep remininding it and training it to do so. Of course, ardas is also key, ask guru sahib to give you the understanding to do so next time you do paath.

The more you understand the meanings of gurbani, the more also it will help you to concentrate.
I'm a beginner. My mind wanders a lot. I have seen that I focus most on that Bani when I know or understand the arths of each tukh. But when I don't know the arths of a Tukh, I tend to lose focus. Studying the arths, start with Japji Sahib and move on to other nitnemi Banis. Talwara Jee has written some very good arths of Nitnem. Study them for a good understanding. Study one pouri per day. More understanding helps increase focus. This is a suggestion I read from this forum some time back from I think it was Gurman Singh Jee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login