ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trustworthy Translation?

Posted by Inderpal Singh 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Sangat Ji, I believe the title say it all, however if not/then not precise for you then let me explain. Well as you know for people like me who have no clue on what is being said in Gurumukhi it is sometimes quite hard to have even a little focus on the nitnem when doing it, and even though so many people have translated the gurbani there just some translation or nearly all translation which cannot be trusted due to people writing their own meaning. So the question is does anyone know what site or anything had the correct or near to accurate translation of the gurbani?

Thank You

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ੳ ਕਾਹਦਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
ਜੀਹਨੂੰ ਲੱਗੀ ਗਰੇਜੀ ਦੀ ਚਾਬੀ
ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਅਲਸੀ ਮੱਖਣ ਪਿੰਨੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਲੱਸੀ
ਭੁੱਲ ਗਏ ਕਦੇ ਸਾਡੀ ਵੀ ਟੋਰ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਸੀ ਨਵਾਬੀ
ਸਿੱਖਲਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਤੇ ਬਣਜਾ ਸੱਚਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ smiling smiley
ਬੁਰਾਅ smiling smiley
Re: Trustworthy Translation?
June 22, 2013 11:46AM
vaheguruoo jee kaa khalsa
vaheguruoo jee kii fateh...

i hope u have a smartphone thts the everything (specially the faith and love to understand gurbani) which can help u only to understand gurbani
if u have android mobile then go for igranth and if u have ios then u can go for igurbani.....

in today's age everyone have smartphones

bhul chuk maaf

vaheguruoo jee kaa khalsa
vaheguruoo jee kii fateh...
June 22, 2013 12:34PM
Inderpal Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!
>
> Sangat Ji, I believe the title say it all, however
> if not/then not precise for you then let me
> explain. Well as you know for people like me who
> have no clue on what is being said in Gurumukhi it
> is sometimes quite hard to have even a little
> focus on the nitnem when doing it, and even though
> so many people have translated the gurbani there
> just some translation or nearly all translation
> which cannot be trusted due to people writing
> their own meaning. So the question is does anyone
> know what site or anything had the correct or near
> to accurate translation of the gurbani?
>
> Thank You
>
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

If you have problem in reading Gurmukhi, listen to Katha done of the Nitnemi Banis. While listening make notes for every tuk and go over the notes until to understand every tukh. It is best if you make an effort to learn Punjabi and get comfortable with Gurmukhi. It may seem difficult at first, but a little bit of effort you will get the hang of it.
June 22, 2013 02:07PM
Sometimes, u need assurance that your Gurmukhi understanding is sound...to not be groping in blind faith as most are today in our community...to then turn to other religion for peace etc..
June 22, 2013 05:36PM
And Jaspreet Singh Jio, it is attitude like yours that is so disheartening within our community..all you high, and mighty in Punjabi, status ...do is ridicule, humor, put down...thus my child converted as she was laughed at by amritdhari children, when attending Punjabi class at Gurdwara...she was also put down with very hurting words despite being a beautiful girl...so she attends Gurdwara because Waheguru never gives up on His Sikhs as I never give up on Him, and my child!!
I thank Waheguru that at least He is ever there to assist His Sikhs who never lose faith in Him jio!
Brother if you plan to stick around in Sikh circles for long time, then investing time and energy in learning the Gurmukhi letters is not a tough proposition.
It shall take only a couple of months and shall empower you for the rest of your life. Think over it!
June 23, 2013 04:52AM
I do know Gurmukhi, and I do my daily nitnem in Gurmukhi, have done Sehaj Path of entire family Larivar Gurbani...but I would like to savor message of Guru Maharaj (instead of having no grasp of what I am reading like Gurdwara sewadar at mother's bhog, who could not convey Hukanama message) and pass it on to my child; whom I was teaching Gurmukhi myself, but as Gurdwara secretary suggested letting her join class, I thought she could have Gursikh friends...and the only Sikh circle I have is Waheguru, and web...few Sikhs I know, family ..feel more important to, as the saying goes, "when in....do as..."
ks
it is attitude like yours that is so disheartening within our community..all you high, and mighty in Punjabi, status ...do is ridicule, humor, put down

ਜਿਹੜੇ ਭੁੱਲ ਜਾਂਉਦੇ ਨੇ ਜ਼ਮੀਰ
ਉਹ ਦਿਲੋਂ ਨਾ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਅਮੀਰ
ਉਹਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਭੁੱਲ ਵਿਸਰ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੀਰ
ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੇ ਬੰਦੇ ਨਾ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ, ਅੱਣਖ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਲੀਰੋ ਲੀਰ
ਚੇਤੇ ਨਾ ਰਹਿੇ ਉਨਾਂ ਨੁੰ ਉਹ ਕਿਥੋਂ ਆਏ
ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਦਸ਼ਾ, ਜਿਂਵੇ ਰਾਂਝੇ ਤੋਂ ਦੂਰ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੀਰ
ਗੱਲ਼ਾ ਲੱਗਦੀਆਂ ਕੋੜੀਆਂ
ਪਰ ਵੱਜਦੀਆਂ ਜਿਦਾਂ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨੇ ਤੇ ਤੀਰ
ਜੇ ਭੁੱਲ ਗਏ ਆਪਣੀ ਪਹਿਚਾਨ
ਤੇ ਫ਼ਿਰ ਕਿਧਾਂ ਖ਼ਾਵਾਂਗੇ ਲੰਗਰ 'ਚ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਖ਼ੀਰ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
KS ji my post was meant for the original poster. Sorry for the confusion ji.

Jaspreet Singh ji
ੳ ਕਾਹਦਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
ਜੀਹਨੂੰ ਲੱਗੀ ਗਰੇਜੀ ਦੀ ਚਾਬੀ
ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਅਲਸੀ ਮੱਖਣ ਪਿੰਨੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਲੱਸੀ
ਭੁੱਲ ਗਏ ਕਦੇ ਸਾਡੀ ਵੀ ਟੋਰ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਸੀ ਨਵਾਬੀ
ਸਿੱਖਲਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਤੇ ਬਣਜਾ ਸੱਚਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
ਬੁਰਾਅ

Two points in this post. Being a Punjabi and being a Sikh may have been historically same but they are essentially completely different things. Being a Punjabi entails being of the punjabi culture,while being a Sikh is something much much more universal and global than being just a Punjabi . Gurbani teaches us that all humans of all cultures are equal and anyone who takes Naam shall swim across the ocean of Maya.

I absolutely dislike it when such a huge concept of Sikhi is reduced to a low level and becoming a better Sikh is blindly confused with becoming acquainted with Punjabi village culture.

While on this let me say a few words on what a culture is:

Wikipedia
Hoebel describes culture as an integrated system of learned behavior patterns which are characteristic of the members of a society and which are not a result of biological inheritance.

A culture entails the 'way of life' of a cultural group. In includes many aspects (again borrowing from wikipedia)

Language and dialect
Religion
Technology
Cuisine
Aesthetics - art, music, literature, fashion, and architecture
Values, ideology
Social conventions, including norms, taboos, and etiquette
Gender roles
Recreational activities such as festivals and holidays
Commercial practices
Social structure

So it would be easily seen that to become a Sikh one does not need to adopt everything from Punjabi culture. Just enough to understand Gurbani and recite it.
Many Punjabis from village side often are seen mocking at other Punjabis who are born and bred in cities. They take jibes using rural vocabulary and proving that these city folks are just fake version while they themselves are true Punjabis. They may be right in their thinking and its okay as long as this thinking stays away and outside of religion. But when such thinking percolates into Sikh circles its certainly not a good thing to happen.

ਚੰਗਾ ਸਿਖ ਬਣਨ ਲਈ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਤੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਲਿਪੀ ਸਿਖਣ ਦੀ ਲੋੜ ਤਾਂ ਸਿਧ ਹਿ ਹੈ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਇਹਨਾ ਨਾਲ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਪਾਠ ਕਰਣ ਅਤੇ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਅਰਥ ਸਮਝਣ ਵਿਚ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਮਿਲਦੀ ਹੈ ਪਰ ਚੰਗੇ ਸਿਖ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਨਾ ਤਾਂ ਅਲਸੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਪਿੰਨੀਆਂ ਖਾਣ ਦੀ ਜਰੂਰਤ ਹੈ ਨਾ ਮਖਣ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਲੱਸੀ ਜਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ. ਇੱਕ ਸਿਖ ਕਿਸੇ ਵੀ ਸਭਿਆਚਾਰ ਚੋਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ , ਓਹ ਕਿਸੇ ਵੀ ਦੇਸ਼ ਦਾ ਵਾਸੀ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ. ਸਿਖੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਉੱਚਾ ਤੇ ਵਿਸ਼ਾਲ concept ਹੈ ਤੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀਅਤ ਇਸਦੇ ਸਾਹਮਣੇ ਬਹੁਤ ਛੋਟੀ ਚੀਜ਼ ਹੈ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login