ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

background of these Shaheeds

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
Please clarify on the background of Bhai Mati Das, Bhai Sati Das, and Bhai Dyala Jee. Some historians say the the first 2 Sikhs were from Brahmin families, others say they were from Chheembay family (same as Bhagat Naam Dev ji). Also, why is Bhai Sati Das sometimes referred to as Sati Ram? And was Bhai Dyala Jee's real name Dyal Das?

Just curious

Thanks
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I have limited information about this which I can share rest I hope some Gursikhs on the forum would be able to answer the questions.

Both Bhai Mati Das Ji & Bhai Sati Das ji were brothers and they were born in a Sikh Family. Their ancestor Bhai Gautam Dass became Sikhs since the time of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji (some historians say he was initiated into Sikhism by Guru Arjan Dev Ji) and since then the family had been devouted Sikhs. Bhai Gautam Das's son Bhai Praga was a commander of jatha in Guru Hargobind Ji army and had served all Guru Sahib since Sri Guru Angad Dev ji. Bhai Praga ji's grandsons Bhai Mati Das & Bhai Sati Das had served Guru Har Rai Ji, Guru Harkishan Ji & Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib Ji.

I have heard that they are from Chibber brahmin family but haven't done much research. I haven't read much about Bhai Dyala Ji but I have heard that he is from the same family of Bhai Mani Singh Ji (maybe his brother). So the full name can be found if you know full name of Bhai Mani Singh ji before getting Khande-ki-pahul.
If there ancestors had already become Sikhs it means that the worldly Kul/Lineage finishes there and they become Gursikh from there on. We should try to promote this view that they were part of Sikh family rather than brahmin etc
Thank you for the info Harmeet Singh veerji, and thank you akaal74 veerji, good point.

Now can anyone shed some more light please?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login