Advanced

Correct Bishraam for this Pangti

Posted by gsingh 
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

Would it be:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ, ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

One thing is for sure: ਜਿਨੀ is not an adjective of ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ because then the meaning would be "those Gurmukhs" who did not receive Naam but this meaning is an impossibility because one who is a Gurmukh certainly receives Naam and this is how he or she becomes a Gurmukh.

The correct meaning seems to be as follows:

ਜਿਨਾਂ ਨੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਇਆ ਭਾਵ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਇਆ। ਇਥੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਲਫਜ਼ ਦਾ ਅਰਥ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ ਬਲਕਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਹੈ ਜਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕੀਤੀ ਵਸਤੂ ਹੈ।

The word Gurmukh has come in Gurbani in the following meanings:

1. Mukhi Guru = Vaheguru. - ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥
2. Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee - Gurmukh Kal vich Pargat hoya.
3. One whose face is towards Guru i.e. a Gursikh.
4. Gurmat i.e. that has come out of mouth (Mukh) of the Guru or through Guru.

The Bishraam should be as follows:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ, ਜਿਨੀ, ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

ਜਿਨੀ needs to be separated particularly from ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ.

Kulbir Singh
When I came across this Pangti, I knew the meaning could never mean those Gurmukhs that do not have Naam, so I was curious as to where the bishram would be placed for the Pangti to be translated as those that have not received Gurmat Naam. Thanks for the in depth post.
I feel this is evidence of why it is very important to pronounce each lag maathr, so that the arth of the shabad is more clear.

When you say Gurmukh jinee naam na paayaa, it has a different meaning from when you say Gurmukh jinee naam na paayaa.

Sometimes bishraams do not do enough to clarify the meaning - you need to pronounce the lag maathrs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login