ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experiences While Traveling..

Posted by AmanjotSingh 
Old Story

I had a very interesting day today. One my way to University I was stopped by two men which looked from the ‘Hare Krishna’ tribe as they were bold heads and were dressed in orange. [The ‘Hare Krishna’ is a sect of Hindu men & women who follow a Gaudiya Vaishnava religious organisation].
I saw this as a perfect opportunity to teach someone about Sikhi, & learn something about another religion. They knew I was a Sikh, as I was in Full Khalsa Attire.
Suddenly, they came up to me and asked if I was happy which I replied, ‘I am very happy’. They then asked me why I was happy, and I said ‘because Vaheguru is keeping me breathing and has given me another day to live’. They looked shocked by my answer and asked who Vahegurooo was. I told them that in Sikhi we believe in One God, Hindu’s say Raam, and Muslims Say Allah Etc... But as Sikhs we call God, Vaheguru. They then asked me the basic tenants of Sikhi which I told them about the 4 Cardinal Sins which to my surprise they to also believed 3 out of 4, as they believe the hair is impure hence they shave their heads.
After sharing basic knowledge about our religions’ they said that ‘you are wasting your life by not repeating the ‘Maha Mantra’ & by not fasting’. I was very puzzled to what the ‘Maha Mantra’, so I asked them.

The Maha Mantra:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare

They said that if you don’t chant this mantra I shall not live a happy life. I then explained to them that I am living a happy life, and that my head was sold in the house of Guru Nanak and I had been given a Supreme Mantra Of All [Gurmantar]. They then said that this will not lead you to open the tenth gate. – I then laughed! I didn’t want to carry on with this debate as I knew there was no point. Satguru Ji through Gurbani gives us many examples where if you know one is not willing to listen and believe what you are saying, you are wasting your time.

ਵਿਣੁਗਾਹਕਗੁਣੁਵੇਚੀਐਤਉਗੁਣੁਸਹਘੋਜਾਇ ||
"If virtue is sold when there is no buyer, then it is sold very cheap."
(Ang 1086)

They then asked me if I Fast. [Fasting is also known as not eating for x amount of hours, days etc... in meditation of the Divine]. My answer was simply No. They then said that, I had no love for God as I didn’t Fast. I then explained that love is not shown by not eating food but is shown by the virtues you have!
‘By not eating for x amount of hours is just following hypocrisy, as you are rejecting what the Lord has given to you, to sustain you’. Just as I said this following Gurbani Pangati came to me:

ਅੰਨੈਬਾਹਰਿਜੋਨਰਹੋਵਹਿ ॥ ਤੀਨਿਭਵਨਮਹਿਅਪਨੀਖੋਵਹਿ ॥੨॥ ~ ਅੰਗ ੮੭੩
One who abstains from this grain, Loses his honor in the three worlds.

According to Gurmat, one who Fasts is practicing total insincerity –

Bhagat Kabir Ji Says:

ਛੋਡਹਿਅੰਨੁਕਰਹਿਪਾਖੰਡ ॥ ਨਾਸੋਹਾਗਨਿਨਾਓਹਿਰੰਡ ॥ ~ ਅੰਗ ੮੭੩
One who discards this grain, is practicing hypocrisy. She is neither a happy soul-bride, nor a widow.

They where amazed by these lines from Gurbani and we ended our conversation with agreeing that fasting is pointless as is don’t not aid one in getting Darshan of the Divine any quicker.

Dhun Guru , Dhun Sikhi!

This was a funny little story on my way to university..

Please share your experiences with the public so we can be inspired by each other and share Gurmat Knowledge.

Amanjot Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Experiences While Traveling..
June 16, 2013 04:38AM
Sat Sri Akal,
my travelling challenge is Gurdwaras in Asian countries, who respect patits, monas more than Amritdharis... Guru Maharaj Khandey Batey Ki Pahul seems just like regular water ceremony, then go back to old lifestyle...thus the challenges Sikh kaum face from world; trying to understand what is Sikhi?
saddest situation is regular Gurdwara patit sangat,mother of 2 sons, whose spouse left her for Chinese woman..
is now going to Burma Buddhist meditation to find peace Jio?
langar sewa is crucial giver of peace if only Gurdwara understand the need for only rehitvaan amritdharis to be doing langar sewa of patits, monas, non Sikhs who smoke, drink, commit adultery etc except some exceptional few who live in fear of His Hukam
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
June 16, 2013 08:07AM
Bhul chuk muaf to typo errors..as I meant instead of patits, monas...doing langar sewa...
patit sangat (high school teacher, formerly kept unshorn hair) whose ex spouse is turban unorthodox sikh is amongst amritdharis who live and eat with no restrictions, except unshorn hair..
also, Gurdwaras read raag mala despite following Hukam from Akal Takhat ji..
[www.allaboutsikhs.com]
point I am trying to humbly plea to our community, it does make a world of difference in achieving peace, bliss..success in all we do, especially of Gursikhi if we all became tyar bar tyar..ekta of panth then will also occur without further arguments...

bhul chuk muaf
Sat Sri Akal
Ks Jee,

You have kind of gone of topic, hope you don't mind me saying. This topic was to share uplifting experiences with you have encountered in your past.

Amanjot Singh
June 16, 2013 05:03PM
It is not off topic Guru Pyareo,
as I became very blessed after consuming rehitvaan Gurmukh langar in Anandpur Sahib jio years ago during my first visit to India, so I am convinced langar makes all the difference in uplifting of the souls of today's Sikhs world over, who remove 5ks, keep short hair as soon as they Punjab to study/ work overseas because they ignorantly believe the like overseas Sikhs are happy leaving Gursikhi jio...uplifting of soul is hanging on tighter to 5ks as we walk kanio tiki path, wherever Waheguru's Hukam takes us..tests us...
bhul chuk muaf
Gurfateh
June 16, 2013 05:20PM
So as Amanjot Singh, a rehitvaan Gurmukh, does not leave his tyar bar tyar bana even as he attends overseas university, or get swayed with happiness from jhoot kaum perspective, no travelling Sikh should either if u are also a blessed Sikh like Bhai Amanjot Singh Jio...and COOK YOUR OWN MEALS FROM RAW INGREDIENTS...if langar during travels is what our Guru Maharaj forbids ji..
bhul chuk muaf
Gurfateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login