ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving to London

Posted by akaal74 
Moving to London
June 07, 2013 08:14AM
Daas is likely to move to UK primarily working in London with Family in next few months and exploring what will be the best place to live from a perspective of Sangat and also good family environment and schools. If there are any members of the forum based in UK any guidance will be very much helpful.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Moving to London
June 07, 2013 02:55PM
Where will you be working in London?

Amanjot Singh
June 10, 2013 05:27AM
Gravesend has a very large Sikh community and is only a stones throw away from London via train, which is the most common form of transport used to travel to and from work in and around London. Again, your location of work is vital in determining whether this is the best place for you to live. There are very good schools in the area too. You can do further research on Gravesend yourself to learn more about the transport links etc- it has a fast speed link to the EuroStar (takes you to France) etc etc If you would like to ask more qu's about about it please feel free to do so.
June 10, 2013 06:13AM
Not sure at the moment. My company has offices on Crawford Street and King Edward Street
June 12, 2013 05:27AM
Learner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravesend has a very large Sikh community and is
> only a stones throw away from London via train,
> which is the most common form of transport used to
> travel to and from work in and around London.
> Again, your location of work is vital in
> determining whether this is the best place for you
> to live. There are very good schools in the area
> too. You can do further research on Gravesend
> yourself to learn more about the transport links
> etc- it has a fast speed link to the EuroStar
> (takes you to France) etc etc If you would like to
> ask more qu's about about it please feel free to
> do so.

Thank you for all the information. I checked and looks like the daily commute by train will be roughly around 1.5 hours each way. Is that correct? Any other areas for suggestion?
June 12, 2013 08:27AM
Slough...............................easy commute..........................has khalsa primary and secondary school
June 13, 2013 07:40AM
Depending on what time you get the trains, It takes around 1hr to get to king Edward street EC1A. Max it will take is 1 hr 18 mins. There are quite a few other places but i dont know what kind of a sikh community, schools etc they have. Sorry
June 13, 2013 11:00AM
Best place is West Midlands specifically Smethwick, but I think this is too far of a commute towards London even though many people still do the commute.
June 13, 2013 01:46PM
ਇਕ ਸਿਖ ਦੁਇ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗ ਪੰਜੀ ਪਰਮੇਸ਼ੁਰ ||

ਜਿਥੈਜਾਇਬਹੀਐਭਲਾਕਹੀਐਝੋਲਿਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁਪੀਜੈ ||
ਗੁਣਾਕਾਹੋਵੈਵਾਸੁਲਾਕਢਿਵਾਸੁਲਈਜੈ ||੩ ||
June 13, 2013 05:10PM
The London Underground is used 99% of the time to travel, hence, when you are in any area in London you can commute using TFL [Transport For London]. You can think about moving to Ilford or Chigwell as there is a Khalsa College Near By & London Underground Station Such As Redbridge, Newbury Park, Barkingside Etc.. State schools are also very good in the area with local Gurdwareh near by.

Now its up to you Ji.

Amanjot Singh
June 14, 2013 03:05AM
WJKK WJKF,

There are two main pockets of Sikh Sangat in London: West London (Hounslow, Southall, Hayes, Slough etc.) and East London (Ilford, Barking, East Ham etc.)

For a train commute to King Edward Street (St.Pauls Station) your best bet (commute wise) would be E.London, where the commute from Redbridge Station is 30mins. As Bhai Amanjot Singh has said, there are plenty of good Grammar/Private Schools (fee-paying) in and around Redbridge.

From W.London, Hounslow West Station to St.Pauls Station, your commute will be at least an hour. There are some good schools there, particularly Khalsa Primary School (Slough, Ages 3-11), who will also be opening up a secondary school in September. There is also the popular Guru Nanak Sikh College (Hayes). A new secondary school, “Nishkam School” will be opening in Sept, and though they will be taking students 4-19, they will initially only be taking Primary School Children. Another advantage to W.London, is that you’ll be very close to the main London Airport – Heathrow (15mins). If you’re living in E.London, the commute to Heathrow will be approx. 1 – 1.5hrs.

In saying all this, I’m not taking into account your budgetary requirements. The areas I’ve mentioned are popular migrant areas, and there is a lot of competition for places in good schools, so you’ll have to start early in that department. School wise, many of them have catchment areas, which means you’ll have to live in a certain area to be able to go to that school.

I’ve personally lived in E.London for most of my life, and have moved to W.London in last 4 years. If you want any more information, feel free to PM.

WJKF

Navroop Singh
'akaal74' jee,

I humbly suggest west London and the Slough area to be the best place to live in terms of London.

Jatinderpal Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login