ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmukhi Viakran vs Gurbani Viakran

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
In most schools, gurmukhi viakran is taught to the kids... I have seen kids getting confused in the Gurmukhi viakran so I have always wondered whether we have tried to make that easy and thus confusing? Maybe earlier it was more closer to Gurbani Viakran.

What I am trying to get is for example lot of nouns have same Singular and Plural names (Ghar, Ghar). In Gurbani Viakran we differentiate them with Aunkad to the Singular noun. Similarly many pronouns have same masculine and feminine values (ek, ek) where as in Gurbani Viakran Aunkad will differentiate the masculine pronoun.

So the above things sometimes confuse the kids that how come they both are same and how do we know what they stand for. So what I am trying to understand is whether the Gurmukhi Viakran should be closer to the Gurbani Viakran or ideally should we just be teaching Gurbani Viakran to the kids?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I would humbly like to point out that Gurmukhi is the name of the script, the painti (35 letters, actually 41) which is used to write the language (punjabi). So the term Gurmukhi vyakarn should actually be Punjabi vyakarn. Traditional punjabi vyakarn is similar to Hindi vyakarn. Most of earlier punjabi vyakarn were written by scholars who were also well versed in sanskrit vyakarn for example Punjabi Vyakarn by Prof Duni Chand of Panjab University.
The modern punjabi grammers are highly influenced by modern linguistics. Some very brilliant works have been done by Punjabi university as well as Punjab University professors. I loved a book (unfortunately I do not have a copy) "Punjabi Vyakarn- Shreniyaan te Ikaayiaan" by Prof Jagjit Singh. But punjabi linguistics is much more explored by stalwarts from Punjabi university patiala. The publication bureau has published a 3 volume Punjabi grammar in soft binding, which is prescribed at Bachelors level.

Grammar may be understood to be a set of rules which have been found to be used in a language in its various forms, spoken and written. A Grammar comes into existence long time after language has established itself in a cultural group. Study of grammar is NOT a requirement for language usage by the native speaker. He uses the language fluently without any conscious study or usage of grammar rules, a fact which is evident by even a cursory social analysis. But study of grammar in schools and with young children serves some important purposes such as in-depth understanding of the structure and function of sentences and how these can be understood to achieve greater control over expression and formations of language. But the same thing can be achieved without grammar study too. For example writers, poets, historians and lawyers are known for best use of language but only first two are strongly connected with direct language learning, whereas as the latter two pick up the skills indirectly due to their vast exposure.
Therefore whether or not to teach grammar to school children is an old debate in linguistic circles.

Now Gurbani Vyakarn is a different case. It is a subset of Punjabi Grammar. Why a subset, one may ask, why not a separate set? Well I consider it as a subset because it does not create different sentence structures, word categories or grammatical units. The structures and categories of Gurbani grammar are not new or separate from Punjabi grammar. It deals with a particular situation- the written aspect of Gurbani and mostly focusses on the spelling aspect. A full fledged grammar lays bare the structure and formation of a full language used a cultural group for everyday communication. This is not the case with gurbani grammar. Gurbani grammar explores the spellings of written Gurbani and tries to find out the categories of the words used and their inter-relationship with other words and thence find out the meaning of the sentence. So the paradigm of gleaning the meaning out of a utterance is different than traditional grammar.

Therefore as far as teaching the school children is concerned it should noted as to what we are trying to teach. If we are trying to teach Punjabi language to the chidren we should be teaching the traditional Panjabi grammar. This will teach the language. Well if the children are not native speakers of the language then definitely it will help them learn the language. But in case of native speakers it will serve a different function, as I mentioned above.
If our objective is to teach Gurbani to the kids. then we should teach the simple meaning of the lines first and then supplement it Gurbani vyakarn and show how we can find a grammatical basis of the meaning we are subscribing to.

The two objectives are different so please be very clear and careful.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I guess the purpose of Schools is to teach the language and hence Punjabi Viakran should be fine. I will try to read the book you mentioned for the same.
I forgot to mention that Punjabi Vyakarn published by Panjab School Education Board is a good book which you can use for school teaching. Its available easily and is very cheap. Its price is around Rs 35 (If its still the same). The book is sound in its knowledge and you can depend on it.

Its enough for school teaching and it goes towards the subject in a simple school teaching style way. Do not use the punjabi university book for school teaching because it contains a lot of linguistic aspects which are more relevant for college and university level. Its good for self-reading though. For self reading 'Shreyniaan Te Ikaayiaan (Categories and Units)' by Prof Jagjit Singh (Panjab Uni Chandigarh) is a good and proper book but I do not think its available in print. AC Joshi library had a copy in its collection. If you know somebody in PU he/she can photocopy it and send it to you.

Again, if you need a textbook for school teaching then I would definitely recommend the grammar published by Panjab School Education Board for high schools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login