ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jehovah's witnesses

Posted by eyesacademic 
Jehovah's witnesses
May 11, 2013 11:19AM
Many people in US and Canada have experienced that people from Jehovah's witnesses church come over start talking about their interpretation of bible. I always listen to them patiently and respectfully. I have read their magazines many times. For me what they preach is of very little value. Their ideas about God are very small and steeped in strange interpretation of devil and his control and how one day God shall step in and take over etc etc.

One thing I have found is there is hardly any 'spirituality' in their teaching. Its all about living in fear of the Governor God and hoping for that day when everything shall become perfect. They know nothing about any meditation, or spiritual practice or any higher level of consciousness or avastha.

Most of the time when they come over I just want them to say what they want to say and go away. Sometimes when I am in the mood I tell them about my religion. Often I feel the need for having some literature which I print off the internet and hand them over to them, saying,'Hey look, its great you are telling me about your religion, here is something I'd like you to read in return!'.

This literature shall serve 2 purposes: it shall prevent them from paying any more preaching visits, AND it shall introduce them to Gurmat.

So I wanted to ask here, is there any such pamphlet which I can print off the internet? The information should be preliminary , it should not dwell upon deeper things such as dasam duar or anything. It should rather be just a basic primer.
If there is not I shall start working on a draft myself with a target of about a year, because my job compulsions leave me little time for proper research and writing.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Eyesacademic Jeeo,

I get to interact with the Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) often, and from these interactions what I could infer is that they are in agreement with the Mool Mantra, except that for them the "Sat Naam" is "Jehovah". I am impressed, even though in disagreement with what they propogate, by the dedication and devotion to their faith. In our community (small agrarian town), one observes that almost all the Jehovah Witnesses are hard working people; they devote (I presume) a dasvandh or more of their time on studying their bible, on their sat-sangh (meetings), aap japo avare naam japavo (praying and preaching). In essence they do "Kirat", "Namo Japo" but doesn't look like that they practice "Vand Chakko".

You are lucky to interact with the Jehovah's Witnesses who are willing to read the material on Sikhism. Most of them seem to be so brain-washed that they refuse to read from the books, of other faiths, if offered to them. Their attempts to proselytize is what puts me off. Most of them dress up well and seem to take pride in the fact that they are spreading the word(s) that they believe in. However, the concept of "Haume" and the role it plays in impeding our spiritual growth doesn't seem to be prevalent in their teachings.

In their attempt to show to the world that their path is absolute for the seekers, they have published the book "Mankind's Search for God" (Search). Page 100-101 are devoted (with distorted facts) to Sikhi, though they quote Encyclopedia of Faiths as their reference.

Though your thoughts on drafting a pamphlet on Sikhi (101?) are laudable, I would suggest that next time the JW visit you please ask them to get you the book Search mentioned above. Read to them section on Sikhism and highlight the errors propogated in the section (especially- "Guru Nanak wanted to take the best of Hinduism and Islam and form a united religion"). In their next visit may be do comparative study, for the benefit of the JWs, on Sikhi and ask them if they would be willing to let you do the presentation on Sikhi in their "Kingdom Hall." Unless someone is constricted in their thoughts by their belief system, there is no room do deny the universality of the message given by Guru Granth Sahib.
Thank you M veerji for your thoughts and suggestion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login