ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

On the path of not giving our heads

Posted by sk 
On the path of not giving our heads
April 09, 2013 08:46AM
One time, Guru Gobind Singh jee had received a new, expensive musket as a gift. Guru Sahib examined it briefly, and then, turning to his Sikhs, said: "I need to test this musket on someone: who will it be?" There was a shuffle of feet as two Sikhs jumped and ran; positioning themselves in front of the Guru they proclaimed: "I will do it!" As the Guru lifted the musket, and as they waited for the bullet to penetrate one of their skulls, both their faces glowed with pride and joy. Of course, neither of them were shot.

That was a time when Sikhs loved Guru Sahib. We're in a new era now. Times have changed. Guru Sahib is a symbol for us now; a figment of our imaginations. So of course Sikhi is not about giving our head any more.

Guru Sahib said, "Jo to prem khelan kaa chao, sir tar thalee galee meree ao." In 1699, he challenged his Sikhs to die for him, to trust him so much that they would step forward and let the Guru's swift sword end their life then and there. That will and drive to give up everything at the altar of the Guru was the seed that sprouted the Khalsa.

But that was a different age. We live in the modern era now, where everything is about self-preservation. Sikhi is about walking the path in my own way, at my own pace. I don't have to give up my head if i don't want to. It's all about what feels good to me. Hey, if I feel like doing what the Guru says today, then great! But if I don't, then it's all good. No need to be too fundamentalist. No, no. That's going too far.

Why should I give up everything for my Guru anyway? I swore to give him my head, but to be honest, that's too painful.

One time, Sikhi was about loving the Guru so much that we'd do anything for him. If he said jump off a bridge, we'd do it without hesitation. But that's laughable now. Nowadays, it's important not to follow religion blindly (even though Guru Sahib says so repeatedly that we should). So we think things through to the point that it's okay for us to not listen to our Guru.

At one time, Sikhi was about burning in the fire of love. We'd hurt for our Beloved; we'd take bullets for him, we'd let our bodies be hacked to pieces, we'd let our heads be severed from our bodies and our children ripped from our wombs; we'd feel our skin bubble and pop as the torches of the enemies set us on fire, and we'd watch as our brothers died too; and we'd look up to the sky and with tears in our eyes we'd thank the Almighty for his grace, for the sweetness of his bhanna and the wonder of his play. Because we were in love, and our love was unshakeable, our faith impenetrable.

But times have changed. It's about us now. So we're taking back our heads.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Dhan Gursikhi! Thank you sk bhainji!
Very valid points and very well written. Just a small comment, you seem to be focusing totally on the "Sipahi" aspect of Sikhi, correct? I think we're supposed to be "Sant-Sipahi", am I right? So if we're supposed to be "Sant-Sipahi", that means first "Sant" and then "Sipahi"? Going by your message, I'd say we don't have much of the "Sipahi" spirit left in us, and by the same logic its not very different for the "Sant" spirit as well, since we don't have much of that left either. We don't see many folks having qualities of Bhai Kanhaiyya jee who offered water even to enemies. The spirit of acceptance, the unending love that makes one embrace a complete stranger and then turn them towards GurSikhi is vanishing, although not dead. I could go on and on about this, but this message could turn harsh and then wouldn't get approved/appear on the forum.
I agree with you Mehtab Singh veerjee. I was actually focusing on both Sant and Sipahi. "Giving your head" is not limited to giving shaheedee in Sikhi. It's to give your whole self to Guru Sahib, through your every thought and every action. Through drirtha in rehit, through utterly selfless and loving seva to Guru-roopee saadh-sangat, through ceaseless devoted bhagti, and through unconditionally and unwaveringly loving Akaal Purakh. We have fallen to pathetic lows in comparison to Gurmukhaan like Bhai Kanhaiyya Jee, whose devotion made him see and love Vaheguru in even his enemies. Make Guru Sahib do kirpa and save us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login