ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Terms to use with Westerners

Posted by Preetam Singh 
With Guru Sahib's kirpa, I was given the chance to speak with reporters about the Dastar and Sikhi, for the upcoming Sikh Awareness Day at Guelph University and it was a very good experience. I had made it a point to use the word Dastar rather than turban and Sikhi rather than Sikhism. When I said these words the reporter asked me what they meant and I was able to explain why I chose those words. The effect of that was that the reporter made mention of that within his article. I think this is a great achievement for Sikhs.

Muslims only use the word Mosque for their place of worship and everyone knows what a Mosque is due to that. No one calls Islam Muslimism and everyone knows what the word Allah means. The Muslims have been very good at not conforming to the use of western terms for their dharam and that has had a very educational effect.

On the other hand, we have us Sikhs who will shoot ourselves in the foot by calling Sikhi Sikhism and referring to our Gurdwaras as Sikh Temples. This has been very detrimental for us because now no one knows what a Gurdwara is and everyone thinks that there is no difference between Sikhi and Hinduism. We have failed to carve out our distinct identity in the media.

This paranoia of using Gurmukhi words while conversing with Westerners has become so deep rooted that some of the students who are a part of the event planning were against using the word Dastar and were adement to use turban to "appeal to wider audiences".

I urge everyone to fear not, and be niyara in using Gurmukhi terms when conversing with Westerners about Sikhi. Guru Sahib will do rakhiya.

Preetam Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The terms you kindly explained are indeed impressive and commendable. It is about time we started to be proud and confident when conversing and passing knowledge of Sikhi.

One thing that is rather bothersome here in at least the UK is the way most Sikhs pronounce "Sikh" as 'seek' amongst themselves, in the media and socially. This is far from acceptable and we should strive to pass on the correct pronounciation that Canadian Sikhs especially do so very well.

SatGuroo jee Kirpaa karan,

Jatinderpal Singh
Would you explain in detail about what is wrong with saying Sikhism? It just makes it easier for them to pronounce. You don't have to be too strict and orthodox about it. How do you expect a non-sikh to share the same values or views as you? Their lifestyle is totally different.
Although I do agree that saying Dastaar is more conventional and sophisticated than saying just saying "turban". Same goes with saying 'Sekh' instead of "seekh". It's usually the western born and grown up young Sekhs who propogate the use of the word "seekh" rather than the correct pronounciation.
Recently on Sikh Channel UK an advertisement about some kirtan darbar mentioned the event location as "Gurdwara Sikh Temple"

Gurdwara and Temple used in same name... When this is how we are naming the guru ghars how can we expect others to understand (Sikhism).... sorry Sikhi.
Mosque is not the original word for a Muslim place of worship, but it is a European translation. The original term in arabic is Masjid, from what I know only westerners refer to the Masjid as a Mosque.
Good point Preetam Singh Veerjee.

Sevak Jee- There is nothing strict or orthodox about teaching someone the correct terms used. If it makes it easier for them to pronounce, it doesn't mean that it is the correct term. Our people have gone ahead and instead to stating Guroo Granth Saahib Jee as Guroo Saahib, they have called Guroo Saahib as a "holy book" or "scripture", even after knowing that it is the worst term anyone can use for Guroo Saahib Jee. The main reason for this to happen is not because the Westerners can pronounce is easily but because we are lazy and don't want to waste our time giving a huge explanation on why we use that term. And making everything sound easy to the Westerners have not done us any good anyways. My dastaar is still pinpointed as a "hat" or a "headdress". The definition of a turban and dastaar is not the same for a Sikh. Muslim men and now even Muslim women wear turbans too, but the significance of dastaar to us is completely different. There is no harm in teaching some "hard" words to the Westerners. And I completely agree with you that their lifestyle is totally different, but our history and our lifestyle is completely different too. If they can stick to their values, so should we, or it won't be too long when all the words that we do use now will be unknown to our coming generation.
Re: Terms to use with Westerners
March 20, 2013 01:23PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
I agree with Anokh Kaur ji, " If they can stick to their values, so should we, or it won't be too long when all the words that we do use now will be unknown to our coming generation.."
If westerners value their loose lifestyles, we should be allowed to value our orthodox (but I consider it PURITY IN ITS TRUE SENSE) Gursikhi, as Guru Maharaj is the creator of all, so we should not have to bow to world but to Him and Him only?!
The Sikhism, and temple terms originated from Asian Sikhs, and in Singapore, that is what I am myself guilty of using in past, as we Sikhs are grouped in same race group as Hindus, under the term Indians..
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

PS, Guru Pyareo Preetam Singh, is surely a pride of Gursikhi, as he has wisdom, and nobility of Guru Maharaj at such young age, and I thought he is a senior Sikh when reading his postssmiling smiley
I think you misunderstood me. The word "ism" means a belief set, a doctrine or a way of life. Sikhi is exactly that. So I don't see anythign wrong in attaching "ism" with Sikhi. Sikhism is an acceptable term to use.
The reason why Sikhism is not an acceptable term to use is because using the term ism is a product of Imperialism. Why is it not Christism? or Jewism? Why is it that ism's are predominantly used for eastern religions?

It is only my personal belief, but I do think that we should push for the term Sikhi to be used, because it just sounds so much better than Sikhism. We shouldn't have to fit into the confines of western understanding. We should be educating them on Tat Gurmat, not what is easier for us to tell them.

Preetam Singh
I agree that anglicizing words related to Sikhi is detrimental to our media presence. However, I think the most damaging of all is when the Kirpan is referred to as a dagger. The word dagger takes away all of the religious and holy contexts of the Sri Sahib and reduces the meaning to a mere weapon.
No Birji,

Sikhi is a special and particular type of ism and not just any ism. Sikhi is khanneyo tikkhi and waalon nikki

ਸਿੱਖੀ ਖੰਨਿਓਂ ਤਿੱਖੀ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਵਾਲਹੁੰ ਨਿੱਕੀ ਹੈ

Sikhi is a NOT just a way of life. It is a real relationship with Guru Nanak in his 10 bodies and then as eternally resident in Guru Granth Sahib.
There are a lot of ism in world:

Idealism, Pragmatism, Naturalism (these are philosophical schools of thought) as well as Hinduism, Buddhism (these are religions). You see an ism is a vague terms, it can encompass a lot of things which are irrelevant when defining a religion.

SIKHI is actually GURSIKHI. Its the relationship and committment of a person with GURU NANAK's Jyot. It is not any Guru, but a particular Puran Guru, GURU NANAK DEV JI.

Therefore SIKHI or GURSIKHI term is way way better to use that Sikhism.

And the term Dastar is again a particular name used for Sikh Turban. A Sikh Turban has a special meaning and reverance unlike any other turbans.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login