ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shaheedan di Jyot

Posted by sikh_learner 
Shaheedan di Jyot
March 04, 2013 08:03AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji kee fateh !!

Sangat ji,

please provide your inputs on installing "shaheedan di jot" in own home,if it is as per gurmat. I came to know from a nearer cousin that this highly improves your rehat,spiritual way of life. This is what I noticed as done in most of the Gurudwara sahibs where matrydom has taken place during sikh history such as "Gurudwara Baba Deep Singh ji Shaheed (Amritsar), Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib(Delhi)" etc.

Daas
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Shaheedan di Jyot
March 04, 2013 11:04AM
What is "shaheedan di jot"? and how do they install it in Gurudwaras?
March 04, 2013 01:48PM
All i know is that , jot was used in old times becuse there was no electricity and its in all historical gurdwaras
because of the same reason.

However people started adding gheo in it, initally for letting it lit all the time then it became a ritual.

I don't think it has anything thing to do with gurmat it was just a necessity in those times but now we have electricity.

Bhul CHuk Dhi Khimaa

Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
March 06, 2013 10:13AM
let me elaborate it..

I actually meant "shaheed singhan di jot"

Bhai Kulbir Singh ji... any inputs please??

Daas
March 06, 2013 11:59AM
Bhai Sahib Ji,

This seems to be a made up concept. I have lived in Sri Amritsar Sahib for most of my life and I have seen this jot in Gurdwara SHaheed Ganj ( Baba Deep Singh Ji) and even in Harmandar Sahib. For the jot in Baba Deep SIngh ji's gurdwara, I know many hindu/sikhs who put Gheo on Saturday's ( to make shani devtaa happy) . I am sure shani devtaa will be happy seeing this but not Guru Sahib.

Daas Nu maaf Karnaa Jio

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
March 06, 2013 01:25PM
Jot means light, wherever there is a light darkness escapes. Taking light from Kurbani of Shaheed Singhs is a great thing to walk on Sikhi path. In Sikhi next to Guru Sahibs we have great regard for our Shaheed Singh and Singhnian. In olden times at the places wherever Singhs got Shaheed surrounding area Shardavaan Sikhs started to keep Deeva light in remembrance of those Singhs. Later at some places Gurudwaras were built. Lighted place was indication for place of Shaheeds Singhs. Passerby generally bowed sees to these places to pay regards. Just like we do in Sri Harmandir Sahib Parkarma where Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Jee sees came to rest.

This was used to be a common practice that whenever someone died in the family people use to keep a Deeva lighted for days in remembrance of departed soul. When family members got busy with others worldly tasks they could not keep up the tradition forever and stop after few days or weeks. But in case of Shaheed Singhs family is much bigger that someone could take the seva to light up the Deva every day in their remembrance and seek from Guru Sahib for same Kamaiyee vala jeevan as Shaheed Singh.

This practice is faded away with time. Now it's more ritualistic than observing the Kurbani of OUR GREAT SHAHEED SINGHS.
March 07, 2013 02:01PM
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Bhai Jasjit SIngh Ji,

I am confused reading your post. Can you please tell us who started this practice? You mentioned some sharadavan sikhs started this practice? May be they started this as a Nishanee of the location of shaheedee? All I see is a blind ritual of touching the jyot with your hands and then touching hands to your eyes or putting Gheo in the deeva?

Do you consider this practice of jyot devva in the name of shaheed Singhs as Gurmat practice? Is their any historical Sakhi where Guru Sahib has OK'd this practice? I apologize in advance but I disagree that external Jyot can help us in our adavancement of GurSikhi jeevan. No doubt we should seek inspiration from life of shaheed singhs but a sikh should only value the internal Jyot/Akali Jyot.

*Sab mei jyot jyot haa soee, tis deh chanan sab mei channan hoyee*

Please clarify!!

Bhul CHuk Dhi Khimaa

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
March 07, 2013 03:01PM
Bhai Sahib Jio,

Khima Karna if my post left you in confusion. My point is similar or same to what you think that purpose of Jyot was just nishanee of a location where later on Gurudwaras were built. But as every place did not have Gurudwara so still on these places Jot is used as Nishanee but wherever Gurudwara Sahib is built you don't need Jot anymore because true Jyot is there already.

My second point is since people keep the Nishanee of place in remembrance of Shaheed Singh and remembrance is only true if those Sikhs observe the Gunns or Karams of Shaheed Singhs by asking Guru Sahib to give us same Kamaiyee vala jeevan as Shaheed Singhs had.
Anyway my thought is with you, it is just words which seems different. I agree that now days this practice is a complete ritual.

I hope that clears my take. At the moment I don’t have any reference when and who started keeping the Jyot for Shaheed Singhs.

With Regards,
Jasjit Singh
March 08, 2013 10:22AM
Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsa Vahiguroo ji ki Fatehh

Dass is not knowledgable concerning this topic. However dass knows of an incident that happened a few years ago in Amritsar Sahib. A young teenage girl who started to have white hair due to some genetic disorder got worried of the whitening of her hair. Her father, who had atoot faith in Guru Sahib and did sangat of Sadhs of Nanaksar Thaath did not listen to the people who asked him to dye his daughter's hair so that she may not find any problem during the matrimony match. However, the father who felt that it is against Gurmat wanted to remain steadfast to GurMaryada.
It was after a few weeks that a pyar wala Gursikh told him to go everyday to Shaheed Ganj Gurdwara Baba Deep Singh ji and bring a small amount of gheo from the Shaheedi jyot and apply to the head of his daughter. Without fail the father and the daughter would wake up early in the morning, do keshi ishannan, nitnem and an additional japji sahib while on their way to Gurdwara Sahib to bring the gheo.
This continued until a week when she saw that her hair started turning black

Bhul Chuk di khima!

Dass
Harleen Singh
March 08, 2013 12:02PM
As Singhs above have clarified, the lighting of Jyot has no relationship with Gurmat. Bhai Jasjit Singh jee's explanation makes a lot of sense that the Jyots were originally lighted to ensure that the place of Shaheedi and the persons who got Shaheed are remembered and not forgotten. We often see this here in Canada that in cases of accidental deaths, the relatives mark such places by placing flowers or lighting candles there.

As for the Karamaat that occurred in the case of using gheo from the Jyot, I would say anything e.g. dust, water used from Gur-Asthaans, would bring this result. Rest Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
March 08, 2013 02:16PM
Vaheguroo jee Kaa Khalsaa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

Bhai Harleen SIngh Ji,

The answer is in your post itself

Harleen Singh
Without fail the father and the daughter would wake up early in the morning, do keshi ishannan, nitnem and an additional japji sahib while on their way to Gurdwara Sahib to bring the gheo.
This continued until a week when she saw that her hair started turning black

I think kirpaa happened because of his dedicattion and faith in Gurbani.

I believe if you do Naam Bani Abhyaas with Pyaar and dedication without fail. Miracles can happen. You use Gheo or not, I think its optional but Naam/Bani can cure anything and everything.

Bhul Chuk Dhi Khimaa

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
January 27, 2015 06:31AM
Bhul Chuk Muaf karna jio... No Grudges

Everything mentioned above related to Jyot enlightened in all the holy places is true? Can we relate said jyot with every candle or diya enlightened for anybody? Is it really a matter we should debate for?

I believe anything which is kept inside the holy places should not be either questioned or if really feel to question the same we should have enough guts to take a stand and give our inputs in open forum despite of talking and giving our views for the same.....

Now the matter of debate was Jyot in Gurdwara Sahib. Is it really something we should follow? definitely no if it is not said by any of our Guru Sahib Ji, Definitely No if it not marked anywhere in Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

For my knowledge please enlighten this part also that how much it is correct to bend down our head in front of any photograph, is it really mentioned or clarified anywhere - kindly accept my apology if i am wrong but please to clarify this than i would proceed......

Sat Shri Akal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login