ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

akj new message from india

Posted by harsh singh 
Japnaam Singh
Some of these items sound like solutions in search of problems that don't exist. The problem in Jatha has been people with character issues doing keertan (bujjer kurahitis, etc.). Not people who are raagis.
The resolution regarding deras is vague and potentially extremely divisive on a panthic level. There seems like an attempt to make certain people (Ranjit Singh Dhadhriawale) into villains (even if they have faults) and those who attend there as banned from the Jatha. This is unfortunate and divisive for the panth.

Look Singh jeo, you may say that you dont face such issue in your locality.
Where I live, there is no AKJ unit here. Yet, I have seen these capitalism minded keertanis making "inroads" in my area by making "efforts" to get them invited.....for? $$$
what do they sell? "akj style keertan"

I did personally talk to 1 of the elders present in the Jalandhar meeting myself earlier this year and told him everything I knew and saw happening in my own backyard..(lets just keep the details brief) They did say problems are arising more and more and its the same people over and over again .

Regarding, dudri baba.....you yourself acknowledge he has faults. Then why go such places in the first place?
why will gursikh with with Tat Gurmat one to go to a mandal where Kachi Bani is sung all the time?
Is believing and doing keertan of Dasam Guru Bani is the only criteria we are left with to see someone as panthic?
Then there are also some who love to go to Tarmala who hands out "Brahmgyaan certificates" like Halloween candy.

Common sense is not prevailing, m

Chota veer
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
If someone is trying to use jatha to promote their financial interests and if there's evidence to back that up, it's fine to stop giving them time until they stop doing that. The issue is that there are some raagis or granthis or keertan teachers of MODEST means who are not using the Jatha to make money. They're not superstar global keertanees and the resolution seems too far-reaching in covering them as well. As mentioned before, Gurmukh keertanees such as Bhai Sahib Bhai Jeevan Singh, Giani Amolak Singh and others were raagis, granthis, etc. in the past but still were not forbidden from doing keertan on jatha stages, nor should they have been prohibited. There is maybe only one person (perhaps more) who is not of modest means who is a raagi and who does keertan on jatha stage. By going after one person, you shouldn't exclude dozens who may even have good jeevans.

I think a directive should've been given out to jatha stage managers across India to ensure that keertanees have no character issues. Maybe even centralized "bans" could be directed against particular keertanees if they are a known bujjer kurahiti, etc.

At the end of the day though, there needs to be a culture shift in jatha. That's the root problem. If you go to other sangats, there is a less selfish and self-promoting and self-absorbed culture among the keertanees - this is clearly happening in the next generation. Because jatha has become international in scope, there is always going to be the problem of self-promoting people who lack good jeevans wanting to get keertan time whenever and wherever. They're not raagis but being an AKJ keertanee at major smagams is a much greater fame for these people than being a raagi. Some of these people want to force themselves on the main vaja even if it means that other worthy youth, often with better jeevans and sometimes new to jatha, don't get time to do keertan sevaa. Then when sitting on stage while other keertanees are doing keertan, they usually don't sing unless it's their friend doing keertan (almost no concept of it being sangati keertan). And you'll almost never see them sitting throughout an entire program, even if the program is only 2 hours long. I'm not attacking any person in particular. I have countless major faults of my own but I'm just pointing out the culture in the jatha that is really at a low point in many places.

I remember being at Seattle Smagam this past Summer and Bhai Dalvinder Singh was talking to the youth about how people are leaving the jatha because they're no longer feeling the same ras. They're going to tarmala, dodhra, dasam duari, etc. because they feel more pyaar, togetherness, nimrata, etc. there, even people who used to do punj pyareh seva in Jatha in the past have left according to what he was saying. This is the main challenge in jatha today, not banning raagis indiscriminately from doing keertan or banning people for simply attending at Dhadhriawale's program like he's the number one panthic villain when he's obviously not.
Re: akj new message from india
December 11, 2012 04:45PM
It would have been better to bar sponsored kirtanis from big smagams. Sangat travels to big smagams at their own expense while no one is willing to go to local programs because there aren't big kirtanis. So in reality this decision could hurt the smagams.

Another thing to be considered is there is way too much noise during jatha programs. When I went to this past Delhi smagam, I saw at least 2-3 professional cameramen standing right in front of Guru Granth Sahib making videos/live broadcasting the smagam. They should keep it simple... I remember hearing a recording by Giani Amolak Singh ji in which he says that Bhai Sahib even stopped him from bringing a loud speaker to a kirtan program.
December 12, 2012 10:14AM
Japnaam Singh jeeo, I am currently visiting India and had a chance to discuss the issues you have raised with Jathedar Sahib but at this time I don't have time and opportunity to write a detailed response. Basically, this resolution of not allowing Raagis who charge money for Kirtan does not apply to Sevadaars e.g. Raagis and Granthis who get salary at Gurdwara Sahibs but to such people who under greed charge tens of thousands rupees for doing Kirtan Samagams. They charge by the Samagam and come across as very greedy people.

I am hoping that a clarification with respect to this will come in the near future. Kirtanis like Bhai Jeevan Singh jee would not be disqualified under the new resolutions passed by AKJ India.

Kulbir Singh
December 12, 2012 03:53PM
Japnaam Singh Jee & Umkeo Heo indeed have valid points.

This issue needs to be simple only - not complex in such a way that it hinders and cause regression.

Keertanyia paid or unpaid - if you think about the human being who wants to listen to Gurbani and wants it for his atmaa the last thing that individual will think about is if the keertanyia was paid or unpaid. I'm not trying to sideline but merely stating a fact. raagis who charge extorniate amounts can be picked upon individually and banned outright rather than telling the world about it.
December 12, 2012 09:17PM
Waheguru,
is Bhai Jeevan Singh Ji being discussed same as the blessed friend of Bhai Randhir Singh Jio in video?:
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login