ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Was Bulleh Shah amritdhari?

Posted by asingh95 
Was Bulleh Shah amritdhari?
November 13, 2012 05:31PM
Whenever i read quotes of Bulleh Shah, it sounds a lot like Gurbani.

Repeating the name of the Beloved
I have become the Beloved myself.
Whom shall I call the Beloved now?

-bulleh shah

From what I understand only a Gursikh can experience what Bulleh Shah has described. Is it possible that he took amrit? He did live from 1680–1757.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Was Bulleh Shah amritdhari?
November 13, 2012 08:56PM
No , Veer Ji, you are getting mistaken. He was not. The logic you are using for your inference, is wrong somehow.
Baba Bulleh Shah is not known to be a Gursikh. He was a great seeker of Allah but without true Murshid, one cannot attain Vaheguru. His known Murshid was Sayeen Inayat Shah of Iraaeen background. As Bulleh Shah became thirsty for Allah, he started looking for a Murshid and soon he heard about Saayeen Inayat Shah. Sayeen jee was a farmer and at the time, Bulleh Shah came to meet him, he was working on the paneeri of rice. Ones who have seen paneeri of rice, know that it is grown in field that is irrigated intensively. Bulleh Shah told him the purpose of his visit. Saayeen jee replied

ਓਇ ਬੁਲਿਆ, ਰੱਬ ਦਾ ਕੀ ਪਾਉਣਾ। ਇਧਰੋ ਪੁੱਟਣਾ ਤੇ ਉਧਰ ਲਾਉਣਾ।
(What is so difficult about attaining Rabb, O Bulliya? It is as simple as plucking from here and planting there.)

While he said this famous Bachan, he plucked out one small plant of rice and planted it at another place.

Great holy man but he was not a Gursikh. If you read his Baani, you get the impression that he must have read Gurbani at some point. From what I have noticed while reading his beautiful compositions, he seems to be affected by Gurbani and has even used the language of Gurbani e.g. Dasam Duaar, Anhad Shabad, Jagdeesh etc.

Kulbir Singh
I remember Bhai Randhir Singh Ji mentions how in the past our so called leaders use to be entrapped by this man made poetry such as Bulleh Shah. He mentions how our misguided leaders use to praise this poetry and compare it to Gurbani. Such notions are pure manmat.

I remember some years ago I went to visit my cousin in the UK. He kept singing the poetry of Bulleh Shah to me, and continously kept praising Bulleh Shahs poetry. After awhile I get tired of hearing this nonsense so I turned to him and said why are so entrapped in the writings of drunkard. He got extremely upset with my remarks and said why are you judging this man he is a man of God. I told him you are a Gursikh why would you read the poetry of a nigura when you can read the supreme poetry of GUrmukhs such as BHai Gurdas Ji and BHai Nand Lal SIngh JI. I said no Niguras poetry can even comapare to such divine poetry written by esteemed Gurmukhs who GUru Sahib appointed to compose Gurmat poetry. However, he was so addicted to the writings of BUlleh that he was not intrested in what I had to say and continued reciting and quoting these manmat writings.
ਆਵਹੁ ਸਿਖ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੇ ਪਿਆਰਿਹੋ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ !
Re: Was Bulleh Shah amritdhari?
November 14, 2012 01:45PM
Sukhdeep Singh Jee, although I can understand your point of not comparing anything to Gurbani. But I don't think insulting Baba Bulle Shah Jee as "drunkard" is the right thing to do. Baba Bulle Shah Jee is a part our Punjabi heritage. Nothing wrong with reading his poetry from a literary point of view just as I read the poetry of Surjit Paatar or Shiv Kumar Batalvi. It's not against Sikhi to read poetry.
Did Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh jee condemn Bulle Shah's poetry or recommend Gursikhs to refrain from reading it?
A person gave Bachan to Bhai Sahib and then backed off. He broke off a Rishta he had promised. In support of his decision, this person quoted a line from Bulleh Shah's Baani - ਭਲਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਮੇਰਾ ਚਰਖਾ ਟੁਟਿਆ, ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦ ਅਜ਼ਾਬੋਂ ਟੁਟੀ.

Bhai Sahib in response to this quote from Bulleh Shah said that Gurbani takes precedence over Bulleh Shah's baani and that he had broken a Bachan and as such will have to suffer the consequences.

No one is claiming Baba Bulleh Shah's Baani as Dhur kee Baani, nor is anyone make any comparison of it with Gurbani or even Baani of Gursikhs. Bulleh Shah's Baani has some lofty thoughts, that's all.

Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaj in Zafarnama has quoted Firdausi, the famous Iranian poet who wrote Shahnama.

When early Muslims conquered Alexendria, the Khalifa ordered that the world famous library of this city be burned. Some one lamented and begged the Khalifa to spare books that are in line with Quranic and Muslim thought. The Khalifa's answer was that the books that are not in line with Quran, ought to be burned for this very reason and the books that are in line with Quran too should be burned because Quran already contains the knowledge that is contained in these books. This kind of thinking should be avoided by Sikhs. Because of such narrow-minded thinking some old Rehitnamas prohibit Sikhs from learning Malesch Bhaasha i.e. Farsi but this Hukam is not in accordance to Gurmat and as such should be ignored.

Kulbir Singh
R Singh veer Ji there is nothing wrong with reading such literature for educational reasons, but to indulge or quote such verses to other gursikhs is not accordance to gurmat. We do not care about what part of the world he is from kachin bani is Kachin bani such writings which are part of the three qualities and are damaging to ones spirituality when read for inspiration.

Kulbir Singh jeeo, Sri guru Ji quoted firdausi to Aurangzeb because aurangzeb was familiar with these writings and sri guru ji was illustrating a point according to a language aurangzeb can understand.During Pehli paatshas travels he would on occasion quote from the Vedas when speaking to the Brahmins but this doesn't mean he endorsed these creative works, instead he was illustrating a point in a manner which such people could relate too. In the 21st century same logic applies,but when speaking to gursikhs such man made works should be avoided as they are devoid of gurmat and such things are poison to rehatvan gursikh.
I guess its a waste of time composing poems on this forum as well then, right? Thats not Gurbani either, thats also by mere mortals and we'd be sinners sharing them and appreciating each other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login