ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wearing watches during kirtan

Posted by Singh. 
Wearing watches during kirtan
March 30, 2010 05:25AM
Is wearing of watches permitted whilst doing kirtan? I know some Singhs that dont approve of this.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Guru Sahib has blessed His Gursikhs with Sarblohi Karas and Simrane to wear on both hands. Where would there be room for watches? If one has to wear a watch for whatever reason that would be fine but when doing sewa like Langar sewa, Kirtan sewa etc., it is not appropriate to wear a watch. For Langar sewa or Degh sewa or Siri Akhand Paath Raul sewa, it is totally inappropriate to wear it since one has to wear everything sucha (clean) for this sewa and it is not possible to do sudhaayee of a watch. Same way, I have not ever seen Punj Pyare wearing one.

The above is based on a Gurmata that Toronto Singhs did many years ago and this Daas is a humble follower of this Gurmata. Rest I don't know.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Agreed, to avoiding the watches during the SEWA where SUCHAM is needed (Langar , Degh, CHOR Sahib etc). There doesnt seem to be any other reason why watch cant be/shouldnt be worn. And offcourse i dont see a reason to avoid wearing watch during Kirtan Sewa.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa - WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh.
May be its ornamental value; makes it prohibited by some singhs during Kirtan. But that banning business seems unnecessary. Being impolite is wrong; but the banning itself is undesired. There should always be some room for imperfection. The rules for perfection srtictly followed make us written documents.
No one is going around and removing watches from kirtaniya's hands but if like-minded Rehitvaan Gursikhs determine rules for sewa for themselves, in a form of a Gurmata, there is nothing wrong in it. In absence of rules we see kirtaniyaas wearing Green and Red puggs; Golden ornament-like watches, diamond rings and what not.

If the rules are not against Gurmat, and result in simplicity and spirituality, there is nothing wrong in such rules.

Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.