ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurbani & Smartphone

Posted by ns44 
Gurbani & Smartphone
October 18, 2012 11:42AM
Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Ke Fateh!!

For those of you who have smartphones - since having one how much Gurbani have you memorised?
Given the ability to carry SGGS in virtual form in you iphone - andriod the knowledge and Gurbani memorised must be up ten fold? is that the case if so brilliant - if not ? why not?

I'm not trying to be difficult or abrupt - just a thought occurred to me with regards to memorising Gurbani and I am first to admit that for sometime since having smart phone this thought never even crossed my mind. But now it does and I feel we should utilize the technology ten fold.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurbani & Smartphone
October 18, 2012 02:17PM
There are both negatives and positives to having Gurbani on mobile devices...

Advantages
You can take Gurbani anywhere you go
You can do path at anytime, from anywhere
You can get bani kant at anytime, from any place. This is especially good for getting ready for keertans.

Disadvantage
Much less requirements to do path from mobile devices so it makes on lazier

No need to be tyar bar tyar while doing path (I.e no need for dastar, hazooria, washing hands when they become even sllightly jooteh) which gives less rass while doing path. Also, you can basically sit in any posture, which too makes one sleepy, and doesn't give as much rass

You can't get Darshan of physical words, which gives less rass

You become dependpent on the mobile device, which makes you do less path Kanth. Usually, one becomes dependent on the mobile device, and thus knowing that you always have the device with you, there is no need to have bani memorized.

The overall ability to get large banian memorized becomes easier, but after we become dependent on the phone, that's where the problem lye's.
What i've noticed is that with large banian, it becomes an overall disavantage to have a mobile device. One may get a bani memorized, but they will never fix the tiny errors, because they know they have a phone with them. If one did not have the phone, then would be forced to get all their bani memorized and perfectly shudh with not any tiny errors.

For small shabads, having the mobile device is a great advantage, because we can prepare shabads for keertans at anytime, anywhere.

Dass has stopped using Gutke/Senchian all together, and does all path on Mobile phone. This may not be perfectly ideal, but overall, it has helped my jeevan, but that is only because i am very lazy. In this dark age of kalyug, we need as much easy alternatives to improve our jeevans.
October 18, 2012 09:44PM
Pothi parmeshar ka thaan. Plays with the interface/screen with gurbani written on it- the gurbani panktis run on the screen |versus| bastar- satkar- shuch- bhao with a pothi/gutka.

The essential characteristics of pothi we do know. Can a gadget fulfill it?

The fact that baani can so easily be searched and found on a device, has made most people lose the satkar, bhao for pothi parmeshar. No kirtiniya ever does kirtan without the device in front of him. There would be exceptions of course. One 11 yr old here learnt 28 baaniyan, was awarded, felicitated. One puratan singh, moved, announced in the sangat that kirtan if not kanth wouldn't bring the kirtaniya what he's looking for. He did bentian to kirtaniyas that they someday sing to him/sangat a kanthagar shabad. Then there were his anecdotes. Where is the harm in not continuing with the pothi. (Bhul chuk benti hai maaf kreo)
October 19, 2012 04:02AM
In present time, it is a personal call depending on individual's circumstances. Imagine a person spending daily 3 hours up and down in travel for job/school. In such case smartphone or other gadgets may make sense because that person can utilize travel time with Gurbani. But when in home Pothis makes more sense.

Now, Kirtaniya using gadgets does not make sense and I personally do not like that.

Gurbani has to be memorised and it is not a choice or option for a Gursikh. It is must !

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login